Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup (133 calories per serving)

Options

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you made that many substitutions using cheddar and not half and half and some others then you really didn't make this recipe so yes, it probably didn't taste the best to you. I used the exact recipe and it came ours fabulous... 10 out of 10

Whole milk plus melted butter is an adequate substitute for half and half; I looked up the substitution on Google and that's exactly what it said to do. Cheddar and swiss also aren't that much different when it's made in a soup like this.

It tasted fine - never said it didn't. The 7 is mainly for the fact that it was a PITA to scrub the pot - like an earlier reviewer, the cheese also settled at the bottom of the pot and stuck. I am STILL attempting to scrub it after 4 days of soaking - for me, that's a negative because I don't have time to do this - I need that pot for everything!

To each his own; I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you made that many substitutions using cheddar and not half and half and some others then you really didn't make this recipe so yes, it probably didn't taste the best to you. I used the exact recipe and it came ours fabulous... 10 out of 10

Whole milk plus melted butter is an adequate substitute for half and half; I looked up the substitution on Google and that's exactly what it said to do. Cheddar and swiss also aren't that much different when it's made in a soup like this.

It tasted fine - never said it didn't. The 7 is mainly for the fact that it was a PITA to scrub the pot - like an earlier reviewer, the cheese also settled at the bottom of the pot and stuck. I am STILL attempting to scrub it after 4 days of soaking - for me, that's a negative because I don't have time to do this - I need that pot for everything!

To each his own; I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

No judgments on the substitutions (I used pastrami instead of corned beef because I couldn't find Corned Beef anywhere!) I'm commenting on the pot cleaning. My crock cleaned up very easily...I'm thinking because of the fat content in the pastrami? Not sure but it was really little more than a rinse. The cheese in mine did clump, but to the meat and veggies...not to the pot. Hmmm...wonder why that is? This recipe will be in REGULAR ROTATION from now on!
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just had this for dinner...AGAIN! As I was pulling it out of the freezer I noticed that I only had two more portions left. Will be making this again, soon. So good and worth it, trust me!
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump to save!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have everything to make this and have yet to try it UGH! I need to stop slacking and get on with it already!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds lovely. We know what Reubens are here in Canada, too. High German immigrant population.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    That looks unholy-good! I'm already thinking about getting cabbage in there...
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    YUM I will definitely try this. Reubens are awesome and I'm sure they are wonderful in soup form too!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I made this for lunches this week and it's awesome! Thank you so much for the recipe! Truly excellent soup.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I thought everyone knew what a reuben was, if not, you should definitely try this recipe for the soup. Mini-reubens, on the cocktail rye are my must bring appetizer to all family functions. A very popular sandwich here (MN).
    This is an amazing recipe. I will be making this today.
    Thanks so much for the great recipe. Maybe a few homemade rye croutons as well.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I made this soup today. It was a big hit. Is the recipe in MFP's food base? I can not seem to locate it.
    Thanks.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I made a crock pot of this today and while it tastes great, mine doesn't quite look like the photo. Specifically, the cheese didn't really melt into the soup and kind of clumped together in little Swiss cheese bits. Also, the broth was more brown than the creamy white in the picture. I imagine if I used full fat cream, that would have changed the color of the broth more like the broth pictured and would have concealed the Swiss cheese bits. Either way, I'm pretty excited that I get to have this all week for lunch!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Cannot wait to make this!!! Ruben's my favorite sandwich. This just made my day!!!!
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yum
  • Chefdad17
    Chefdad17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Interesting recipe, however you forgot to mention the brand or type of Swiss cheese you use which tends to have quite a bit of calories, approximately 180 calories per 2 ounces for most Swiss cheeses. I would make sure that if anyone chooses to use this recipe, a tasty recipe it is, that you make sure you read the caloric content of all ingredients you purchase to use. That will give you a more accurate idea of the amount of calories per serving. Good job Wade Lam
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I made this. I didn't use the cheese. I used chicken stock instead of beef and I didn't use any butter. It was delish.
  • NotAbbieNormal
    NotAbbieNormal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
  • mrscronkhite
    Options
    Are you from the midwest? I don't meet too many people outside Nebraska who know what a reuben is :) This sounds so yummy! I'll be forwarding to my parents, they eat reubens weekly lol!

Reubens are my FAVORITE and I'm from New England. Looking forward to trying the soup!!

• collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This sounds AWESOME!!