So I discovered my favorite whiskey has alcohol...

Options
LoneWolfRunner
LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm kicking back last night savoring a long, lingering finish of my Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve, feeling warm and happy and I casually rotate the bottle to look at the back label..... and it says it contains alcohol!!! I was devastated by the trickery... I mean the lovely front label (all shiny green and gold and black) says absolutely nothing about alcohol... NOTHING!!!

So I get to googling (with more Jameson just in case my particular bottle is an anomaly) and I discovered that not only does it truly contain alcohol, it also has calories! I know! I was as shocked as you... I mean the stuff goes down just like water, right? So now I'm on a mission (with more Jameson because I'm still not believing this) and find out that ALL whiskey has alcohol in it...wtf? And apparently the only place it ever tells you that is on the back. Now I'm freaking because, like what's next? Vodka? Tequila? Rum?

I think it would be helpful to all of us here if MFP would put up some kind of notice advising members about this deceptive labeling practice....

Replies

• mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Think how I felt after I finished my wine! :'(
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, yes - but NO CARBS!

:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That is completely unacceptable.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lol. Cinnamon toast crunch thread. Good one.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You just ruined my evening. Even worse:

wine-nutrition-facts-calorie-chart1.png
  • dan_hansen
    Options
    I just started checking my bottles and you're right, not only do they have Calories (WTF?!?) but alcohol. This sounds like grounds for a class action lawsuit. This could have gotten me fired if I didn't bring it to work in a Nalgene bottle.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I still don't believe it. Something that tastes THAT good surely can't be bad for you right?? RIGHT?????
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, yes - but NO CARBS!

:)

just like my candy corns are "fat free"

LULZ- always the best.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It was also pointed out to me that alcohol consumption would effect my running/ cycling performance! :s Seriously?! SMH
  • Time4Coffee
    Time4Coffee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whiskey has alcohol? Calories? Is this an internet hoax?

• gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Check my diary and you'll see that I am (very) aware whiskey has calories, but the alcohol thing is news to me! Any chance we can get alcohol listed as a macro? I'm certain I could hit that number!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Now I cannot in good conscience keep putting it my hand-held when I'm out running trails... :(
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wait - you mean I shouldn't drink and run? :wtf:
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Not Vodka. Its calorie free. Lemon Bombs away!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This is terrible news! I hadn't been drinking enough water today, so I was looking at throwing back a bottle or two tonight. Now I have to fit it into my macros!?

What percentage of my calories should be from alcohol?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Whisky or Bourbon are well worth the calories. :)

29509743.png
  • arditarose
    Options
    This is terrible news! I hadn't been drinking enough water today, so I was looking at throwing back a bottle or two tonight. Now I have to fit it into my macros!?

What percentage of my calories should be from alcohol?

Ugh. And with that panini and apple for lunch. It'll never work.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not Vodka. Its calorie free. Lemon Bombs away!

I think someone switched your vodka with water .....

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    It appears that I may need to start skipping breakfast (is that bad for me?), in order to get my proper allotment of whiskey each day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It appears that I may need to start skipping breakfast (is that bad for me?), in order to get my proper allotment of whiskey each day.

No. It's all about calories in, calories out. If it fits into your daily caloric deficit, go for it!