Appetite Suppressants... Help needed

Options
I've been on mfp in the past... I can never seem to stick with this life style change. A little about me... I'm 25, weigh 390lbs.I have a office job with very little movement. I've been trying to "diet" now for over a year. I was doing pretty good.. Lost 35lbs. I then quit smoking and that's when I started eating again. I haven't been able to get back into the groove since. I've asked for advice from alot of people and have been told that I need to drink water.. I drink 12-15 bottles of water a day. I feel like I should by shares in coke because I drink so much dasani . I realize that if I don't do something that it's not likely that I will live to see 30. I'm recently married and would prefer to be around for a while.

I'd venture to say I eat out 1-2 times a week. I have gout so I'm limited on what I can eat. My issue is that I never feel full. If I eat a salad(and by a salad I mean an entire bag of lettuce with extra carrots and an entire green pepper.Use minimial light cesar dressing) I'll be hungry about an hour later. I know how to portion my food.... My issue is that 4oz piece of steak isnt enough to stop my stomach from growling for longer than an hour.

I've been thinking of getting some appetite suppressants. I know these aren't a long term fix... I just think these may be able to help me get on the right track. Once I've used them for a month then my body would adjust and be used to the smaller portions right?

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    No no no no no no no. They are not an answer to anything. If you feel they are an answer, speak to a doctor. Or two.
  • Imfatandneedhelp
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    No no no no no no no. They are not an answer to anything. If you feel they are an answer, speak to a doctor. Or two.

My doctor has told me in the past that he would prescribe them to me if I wanted them... Just started thinking about actualy getting them recently.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Speak with another doctor to see if he agrees. Part of the problem is what you eat. 4 ounce piece of steak isnt going to fill anyone. But 10 ounces of chicken breast has roughly the same calories. Add to that 2 or 3 cups of broccoli and all of a sudden you have a fairly substantial meal.

Yes, the first few weeks you are going to very likely feel hungry some of the time. You get used to smaller portions and your body adjusts. Also do not feel the need to immediately jump into 2 pound a week cut. Start off just eating at maintenance for a while and ease into things.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on? Perhaps not enough.
  • hellooshannon
    hellooshannon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please don't use appetite suppressants to help solve your problems. I know it may seem hard and you may seem hungry all the time but it's because you're not eating enough. A salad is just all water and not enough nutrition for your body to sustain and feed off. This whole 'diet' fad and eating 1200 calories a day could work... but you need to fuel your body with carbs, proteins, and fats. What has worked for me in the past is eating every two hours so my body and metabolism could be regulated. I lost 30 pounds just from portion control and eating every two hours. It'll be hard but your body will adjust to it. In addition, I started flexible dieting also known as IIFYM and I love it. You may want to look into it, it might help you with your fitness journey :)
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Try nutrient dense foods first. Real foods that fill you up and satisfy. Way better than a pill. Try Chia seeds, hemp seeds, eggs, large salads....the good stuff that your body needs...AND lots and LOTS of water!
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things :)
    Keep up the water (though for finance's sake, you might consider switching to tap, if that's an option!).
    Keep up the salad and vegetables.
    Increase your protein and good fat consumption (e.g. olive oil, coconut oil, avocado).

Check that you're actually eating a sustainable amount of calories. You don't need to limit yourself to 1200 calories (though I acknowledge that there are many people who find that this works for them). You will probably find you can still lose weight at 1600-2000 calories, or maybe more.

Please don't take appetite suppressants.

If you open your diary, I'm sure there are many here who could give you more specific advice based on your current habits.

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your dairy?
  • Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    there is considerable evidence to support the use of appitite supressants and the one currently on the market are safe when used as prescribed. Ask a doctor what is best for you.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Skip the appetite suppressants and start planning all of your snacks and meals for the entire day. Pack a cooler and bring it to work with you. Try eating full fat foods, keeping an allotment of calories for your very favorite treats. Don't waste calories on anything that is not your favorite. Find some weights and a resistance band and start moving around on your breaks at work. Make sure you are eating enough. Just because you are in lose weight mode doesn't mean you have to go hungry.

• samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of taking "appetite suppressants", you should try drinking more unsweetened tea, or coffee if you can take it black or with very minimal cream/sugar. The caffeine in these is a natural appetite suppressant, with no hidden potentially unsafe ingredients. I personally love green tea and guayusa and can drink many cups of them every day.
  • watergirlb
    Options
    I agree, with hold off on the appetite suppressants. I was recently diagnosed with high uric acid and diabetes, I'm not insulin dependent but I am on Metformin. I was told this within the last week. I am rediscovering my foods! Don't be the salad girl. While salads are good, the devil is in the details (sauces and dressings) I discovered that Hidden Valley Ranch lite is one of the best dressings to use for low carbs, low calories and it is delicious. Chicken is your best friend, and read labels! I love Triscuits (garden Herb and garlic) and apples and low fat string cheese, and hummus to eat for snacks, It keeps me full and I can watch my calories, salt, carbs and fat. I am finding there is so much out there to eat, I just have to be really smart and creative about it. Whole grains are my best friends now. I get these sweet, whole wheat dinner rolls from Wal Mart that I use to make tiny sandwiches, 80 calories and 16 carbs. I make a sandwich with some homemade smoked shredded chicken mixed with one boiled egg and 2 table spoons of the HVR lite dressing and I have a simple chicken salad to make sandwiches with for a few days. One little sandwich and some fresh veggies like carrots and celery sticks and an apple or a low fat string cheese is filling and delicious. You're not a rabbit so don't eat like one, read labels try new things and change it up every now and then. You can do this, I can do this. I am 46 years old, 240 lbs and recently diagnosed diabetic two weeks before Thanksgiving! I have made a commitment to walk each day for 1 mile. That's it. Easy peasy. If you want to find my profile and friend me, I have some great ideas and recipes you might like. Good luck and don't give up.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What calorie level are you trying to stick to? If your BMR is about 2,500, are you budgeting 2,200 cals. a day or somewhere in that vicinity?

Here are some tools that might help you determine your ideal calorie level to lose weight safely. Those who have successfully lost 100+ lbs. will have much better advice!

There are some very successful people on MFP that have lost 100-200 lbs. or more. I encourage you to link up with these folks and get advice from those who have "been there, done that." I wish you the best on your journey ahead. One day at a time... :+1:

TDEE Calculators: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

FitWatch Weight Loss Calculator:
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php

MFP Goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't completely object to appetite suppressants. My sister took some for awhile, under a doctor's supervision, and it really helped her lose a lot of weight. Her problem was that she didn't use that time to learn to control her eating. When she stopped taking them, she ballooned back up.

She told me that she didn't know how to eat or exercise, so I told her (this was back when I as able to run and was very fit) that she needed to eat plenty of good protein (eggs, chicken, beef, pork, etc.), fresh vegetables (real vegetables, like squash and broccoli, not iceberg lettuce), a reasonable amount of fat, and to limit her intake of processed foods. Her husband had bought her a really bad*** treadmill to use to get into shape. And... She ignored everything her husband or I told her and weighs over 200 lbs. now.

I'm not going to advise against the appetite suppressants. They have their function, but I will advise you to work with a nutritionist to figure out a weight loss plan, or taking them is going to just be a brief blip on the radar for you.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been reading over some of the healthy eating plans for 2,200 cals. a day. I think perhaps I would be satisfied with 3 normal-sized meals rather than 6 teensy-weensy meals, as often "dictated" by some sites. This is just about what works for you, but you might try thinking about how to distribute your calories for maximum "fullness." For example, I have decided it's OK to be a little hungry through the day because I would rather eat a bigger dinner and save some calories for an evening snack (since I'm a late night person).

I would not be happy if I wasn't able to eat a relatively normal sized dinner, but I'm cool eating a small lunch and breakfast. You may prefer to distribute your calories differently. Looking at my distribution, I tend to eat about 10% of my calories for breakfast
    24% for lunch, 43% for dinner, and 23% for an evening snack. Some people front load their calories so that most calories are in the morning and lunch, but that doesn't work for me.

This is just an idea on how to think about distributing calories throughout the day in a way that works for you and keeps you from feeling too hungry or spacey.

Lastly, there are some foods which are more "satisfying" (satiating) than others. Looking for those foods can help you stay feeling more full. I hope this will help? :)

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-high-satiation-3799.html

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20752903,00.html
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am currently on appetite suppressants myself, under my dr's supervision. I had dangerously high blood sugars and blood pressure so he does have me on a strict vlcd (very low calorie diet) for 12 weeks at which point we will look at meal planning to continue weight loss but at 35 I don't know how to eat correctly. I don't know how to plan a weeks worth of meals and cook food that will be healthy and keep my numbers in check. The truth of it is that it is easier to regulate my health issues with a smaller frame. The dr I am going to was a regular family practice dr for years, then realized that 90% of his patients have health issues due to poor diet so he has studied nutrition for years now and is an expert in nutrition as well as a MD. They monitor my liver enzymes biweekly to ensure the safety of my diet and the meds I am on. I won't always have to be on an appetite suppressant but for now I am grateful I am and haven't have any side effects that remained past the first 3 days (jitteriness)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At 390lbs, you BMR is around 3000 calories. For a while, you could get by with eating more than most of us and still lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. Get a goal weight and a daily calorie number. Find out what kind of foods you should and shouldn't be eating. Get cleared for exercise. If he recommends an appetite suppressant, go for it.

Then start eating more healthy foods (which I'm sure you'll be told to do.) Skip the red meat and go for lean, white meats. Lots of fruits and veggies. Whole grains instead of white. Fiber. If you eat more healthy foods, you will find that you not only stay full for a longer time but you get to eat a lot more. Get a referral to a dietician if you have trouble with food selection. http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

If you're approved to do it, start walking and swimming. Swimming burns more calories than anything, doesn't make you hot and sweaty, is easy on the joints and it's the only good exercise I know of where being fat doesn't hold you back. If you're embarrassed in a swimsuit, get over yourself. Walking outside is wonderful if you live where it isn't too icy. Builds stamina. Gets you out in the fresh air, which is wonderful. Burns some calories, too.

It's okay to be hungry sometimes when you're losing weight, especially that first week. But if you eat tons of healthy foods, it's unlikely that you'll be hungry.

It's going to take years of really hard work, so unless you're serious, give up now. You're going to have to learn to eat right and exercise and do this stuff all the time, for years. It's going to take dedication and commitment, so if you aren't honestly motivated - from within yourself - you'll give up. If you are motivated, nothing can stop you.

Good luck!!!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How about some natural appetite suppressants? Include more soluble fiber/resistant starch in your diet....these foods take longer to digest (and resistant starch is totally indigestible), resulting in less hunger. Some examples of foods with soluble fiber are oats (I cook up one cup oats and add a little brown sugar in the mornings and it's delicious), apples, nuts (but measure these out- they're extremely healthy but very energy-dense and thus high in calories), beans, carrots, etc. Resistant starch has many health benefits including lowering blood glucose levels, helping with weight loss, and it's beneficial to your gut bacteria. Examples include legumes, seeds, grains, and potatoes that are cooked and then cooled. So try adding some of these foods and see how you feel :)