Carb addicts?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: you may be one who finds that heavily refined carbs lead to cravings. Lots of us feel that way. Only you can decide how to best handle that. For me, it's flat out limiting them. Best of luck finding what works for you.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find that the more starch and sugar I eat, of ANY kind, I binge on them more and want more. If I keep it low, I find I have a whole lot more control over my cravings and eating. This includes fruit, starchy veggies and potatoes of any kind. I am sure the "Just eat in moderation" piranhas are about to circle but whatever. People have different tolerances for foods and maybe you are not one that can tolerate too many carbs like me.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    corinic91 wrote: »
    I used to be like this too. I love baking and make my own bread, muffins etc. My issue was with starches not "carbs" which are in fruits and vegetables (and nuts and seeds and beans and lentils..). It was very hard to stop at just one slice of bread.

I took a different mindset. I started to focus on getting enough protein, fat and fiber first and still staying within my calorie limit. The starches just got kicked out naturally, and I don't have those cravings any more, and still enjoy my homemade baking.

Good distinction. It's definitely starchy foods that wake up the binge monster :laugh: Thanks!
    I agree with that as well. Processed carbs or starches trigger binges in a lot of people. Sticking with natural carbs like fruit, potatoes, or sweet potatoes (lower in carbs and more vitamin rich), you're more likely to feel satisfied and stay in control.

Good thing potatoes are starch free
    Processed starches. Are whole potatoes processed? No.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If I have white bread or pasta, I'm going to want more - especially with white pasta. Potatoes and rice - not so much. But the pasta will do me in every time. It lasts all day, driving me crazy. Having more didn't help, either. I'd just keep craving it. The next day, it's gone. So weird.

I finally found a whole grain pasta that I like and it does not leave me wanting more, so YAY that. I had been limiting the pasta and when I did have it, I'd eat it late so I wouldn't have to deal with the cravings. Since having more didn't stop the cravings, I just dealt with them, but it SUCKED.

Other people have this issue, too. It's a thing. You have to find a way to deal with it that works for you. :)

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    And another thread of opportunistically obtuse replies. cheers!

OP: you may be one who finds that heavily refined carbs lead to cravings. Lots of us feel that way. Only you can decide how to best handle that. For me, it's flat out limiting them. Best of luck finding what works for you.

Hahah I've been around the forums enough not to let it get to me. :wink: As for your response, that's definitely a thing for me. Thanks!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfrZpeLhnNpx_ZA-ezoWs4ohQ9ddDEe-qfiihEHyB3lfXcvhZZ

you made me laugh, thank you.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    corinic91 wrote: »
    I used to be like this too. I love baking and make my own bread, muffins etc. My issue was with starches not "carbs" which are in fruits and vegetables (and nuts and seeds and beans and lentils..). It was very hard to stop at just one slice of bread.

I took a different mindset. I started to focus on getting enough protein, fat and fiber first and still staying within my calorie limit. The starches just got kicked out naturally, and I don't have those cravings any more, and still enjoy my homemade baking.

Good distinction. It's definitely starchy foods that wake up the binge monster :laugh: Thanks!
    I agree with that as well. Processed carbs or starches trigger binges in a lot of people. Sticking with natural carbs like fruit, potatoes, or sweet potatoes (lower in carbs and more vitamin rich), you're more likely to feel satisfied and stay in control.

Good thing potatoes are starch free
    Processed starches. Are whole potatoes processed? No.
    So we become addicted to processed starches but not unprocessed starches?
    Yes! ;)

Potatoes gonna potate. Perfect timing.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You called??
    Lol I'm in love with pasta and rice. They're both my worst enemies and best friends. I'll see a pot of rice on the stove and tell myself that I'll only have a spoonful, but then I'll wake up an hour later in a daze on the floor surrounded by empty bowls that once held rice. I may have a problem
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 25/35/40 C,P,F. I treat it as a low-moderate carb diet. I literally don't have room to eat a muffin or anything starchy or I'll blow my carb budget. It keeps me eating a bit better because pasta and baked goods aren't really an option, but I still have room for certain things, i.e. a slice of toast in the morning, a tortilla for a wrap, yogurt, veggies, fruit, protein bars, etc. I aim to eat healthy fats.

I also eat a high protein diet. I don't always fulfill my protein goal because it is so high, but I feel better on a daily basis doing high fat/protein and lower carb. I feel good on days where I get close to my goal (I met it today, wahoo), and usually pretty full.

It takes more heat to burn off proteins than it does for carbohydrates. Fewer calories from protein are stored as fat because it is more thermogenic. Carbohydrates, on the other hand, are more often stored as fat because they have a lower thermic value.

Now, I'm not saying you should do one thing or another. You do you! I have a naturally slow metabolism and a body type conducive to weight gain, and this is the diet I've found works for me. I'm not highly active, I'd call myself moderately active, so I can do without the carbs. Idk what you need to do, but I thought I'd share what my approach is.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Interesting problem and thread. My problem is not bread pasta rice etc. Its just sweets. So i quit them. I"m not suggesting you quit bread etc. When i first read about people being addicted to bread and pasta and having your problem, i didn't believe it. But eventually as so many people reported this problem i had to accept it. And their solutions.

For most the solution is to quit and go low carb diets such as paleo or Atkins. Unless its an approach you really want to take, its not likely to work for you though.

But sweets are not bread and pasta. Sweets are something that nutritionally one can live without entirely. Quitting sweets hasn't been hard and i can give you some tips from my sweet problem that might help you with your bread problem.

Firstly though, i strongly suggest you reduce carbs and increase your fats to 40%. The french apparently eat a diet of 40% fat and almost no one eats better than the french. If they can do it and be healthy and slim so can you. You can also afford to increase your protein a bit more if you want. But again, its the carbs you should reduce.

But when you reduce carbs, you can't reduce your vegetables and fruit and in fact you have to eat more of these foods.

You also need to increase fibre. Watch this show: Catalyst - gut reaction on you tube. I am sure watching this show will make you try harder to eat more fibre and that should help you cut down on your white carbs.

Second, eat more lentils and chickpeas and beans as someone else suggested. These are now a major part of my diet. But i'm mostly vegetarian so i have to eat these foods for the protein.

Third, if you cut your carbs to between 100 and 150 net carbs per day, you will still be able to eat some white carbs but you won't eat them so often. Aim most days for 100 not 150. To achieve this you will have to increase the variety of foods you eat and the white carbs will be a treat you can enjoy about once a week and you will eat them in smaller quantities. Make a serve of pasta about 50g and a serve of white bread, just one slice. Rice should be about half a cup of cooked rice. A serve of potatoes is also no more than one medium sized potato. While you are busy eating these other foods which are more nutritious, you will start to get your appetite for carbs under control.

But you will have to apply restraint anyway.
    Split your protein into thirds and try to include half at each of three meals a day.

Vegetables protein and fats are the keys to doing this. I also find dairy particularly helpful. But if you are not a big dairy fan like me, then it doesn't matter.

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    first....take everything you hear and read about what is the best eating plan or "diet" with a big grain of salt. our bodies are amazing and can take just about everything we throw into them (twinkie iet, grapefruit diet, etc)
    second- experiment with different macro ratios and limiting "trigger" foods. Eventually you will find a balance that works. it does take patience and time and maybe even a slight weight gain but there are no hard and fast rules as to what is best for YOU. Make it interesting by tracking everything, journal about your reactions (energy...sleep...satiety, etc) Make it fun...live and learn

I agree about keeping a journal about everything. During my first three weeks of dieting (this time) I kept track of every time I was hungry or had a craving. I noticed a pattern, and realized I needed to reduce sugar and increase protein in order to stave off hunger and cravings. My diet choices became more about managing cravings than losing weight, because ultimately, I've got to master the cravings in order to have a good life.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    brussels sprouts roasted in bacon fat and maple glazed.

I can't stop eating them.
  • HomeschoolDad
    HomeschoolDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check the glycemic index of the food that give you problems. The faster you blood sugar spikes the bigger the insulin release the blood sugar crashes and you reach for more simple sugars. This creates a vicious cycle. White bread and processed white rice have very high glycemic index.

Check the list of food that are recommended to eat and avoid on South Beach. I was raised with home made bread and have changed all my recipes to whole wheat.

Limiting my sweets and bread is my biggest struggle.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ever wonder why these carbs are so addicting? Blame it on dopamine, a hormone and neurotransmitter that affects the brain’s pleasure and reward centers. Stimulating your brain and keep you wanting more of addictive substances like carbs. You have to put in mind that these carbs are simply toxic for your body which makes you more prone to diabetes. So you have to decide if you want to start a clean habit by booting all those carbs off your kitchen shelves.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If I have white bread or pasta, I'm going to want more - especially with white pasta. Potatoes and rice - not so much. But the pasta will do me in every time. It lasts all day, driving me crazy. Having more didn't help, either. I'd just keep craving it. The next day, it's gone. So weird.

I finally found a whole grain pasta that I like and it does not leave me wanting more, so YAY that. I had been limiting the pasta and when I did have it, I'd eat it late so I wouldn't have to deal with the cravings. Since having more didn't stop the cravings, I just dealt with them, but it SUCKED.

Other people have this issue, too. It's a thing. You have to find a way to deal with it that works for you. :)

It isn't an addiction but I have an issue (or can have) with cold pasta. I can eat and eat and not feel full to the point of feeling sick. I have done that once since I started counting calories. I guess that is a binge, I never thought of it like that until right now. Not often like a disorder

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I really love bready cakey things...yet, I'm almost always under on carbs. (Unintentionally). Don't ask me how I just am.

Because of that, I don't worry about binging on them once in a while because it balances out all the times I've been under on them.

Maybe what you need is a once a week day where you go buck wild with it. Carbs for breakfast, carbs for lunch and carbs for dinner. ;) but try to stay in your calories at the same time...Lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

its obtuse to point out the fallacy in saying one carb is more addictive than another????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

its obtuse to point out the fallacy in saying one carb is more addictive than another????
    I didn't say that, now did I?