Do you believe in getting a 12 hour fast every night?

Options
Do you believe in getting a 12 hour fast every night? For example, the last thing you eat at night is at 8pm and then you don't eat breakfast until 8 am?

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Mine's 11 hours. 6pm to 5am. Night time snacking contributed heavily to my overweight condition.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'll eat dinner at 10 or 11 if I want. I'm grown.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're asking? Do I believe what? Do I believe that it's good for you? I usually fast anywhere from 16-18 hours every night. Not because I am deliberately trying to, but I usually eat dinner at around 6:00pm, and then don't eat again until lunch at 11:00 or 12:00 the next day. I very rarely eat breakfast because if I don't eat breakfast I don't get hungry until lunch. I've found that if I do eat breakfast, I'm starving all day and will end up eating more. You just have to find out what works best for you. If you're asking if there's a nutritional advantage or disadvantage to fasting, there's not really. All that is going to matter is the number of calories you consume for the day. It does not matter how many meals you eat, how often you eat, etc, as long as your calorie and macro intake is the same.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I recently started 16:8 IF, so I only eat from 12pm-8pm. Ditto the nighttime snacking comment, and I've found that at least for me, eating a big breakfast only initiated more cravings throughout the day.
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe in it and do it at least 5 days per week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if it works for you then sure…just remember that "intermittent fasting" is not a magical process that burns fat faster then a regular calorie deficit….

I did IF for about eight months, but could not make it fit into my lifestyle, so I just eat four meals a day now ….
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "believe in it" - that it's possible? Of course it is. That it's required? No, of course not.

I do this every day, but not to fast...it just works out that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'll eat dinner at 10 or 11 if I want. I'm grown.

Yup. I don't snack at night (although if I wanted to I'd budget calories), mostly because I don't snack, but I eat dinner late and breakfast early quite often.

I seem to have lost weight anyway.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I ate breakfast at 3am once. I gained 58 pounds from it.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a big snacker and save calories for nighttime snacking. And I eat breakfast ASAP when I wake up. Seems to work fine and it's only 8 hours of sleep between eating.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not a chance!
    I normally have dinner at about 8pm, but sometimes have a dessert (just a yoghurt or something) closer to bedtime (9:30ish?).

I get up at 6am and eat breakfast sometime between 6:30 and 7. So there's pretty much never a 12 hour gap between dinner and breakfast and it hasn't stopped me losing weight or had any effect that I'm aware of.

That said, if I feel able to skip breakfast (because I'm not hungry or am too busy to care) then I do so, and it's nice to have 200-300 spare calories later in the day for a snack instead (or just to have a day when I'm well under my calorie goal).
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    I do it but not on purpose, its just the way I like to eat. Breakfast at 10am, Lunch at 1pm & dinner between 6-7pm. I don't know if it helps with my results at all, its just what I've always done.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mine around 12 Hrs between 6pm till 12pm midday, I fast, I always have to skip breakfast because I can never get enough calories to spare anymore now I in maintance mode.

But A bit of fruit or a handyful of nuts before bed has proved ok for me.

But yeah Night time snacking is never a good idea, esciapply a huge meal before bed.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No. I eat when I want.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I believe 12 hours offers many of the same benefits without the side effects. Buy long fasts might send the body into starvation mode, which makes it more difficult to lose weight because it slows down your metabolism.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Tim_Simons wrote: »
    I believe 12 hours offers many of the same benefits without the side effects. Buy long fasts might send the body into starvation mode, which makes it more difficult to lose weight because it slows down your metabolism.

Both are myths. And OP, if intermittent fasting suits your lifestyle, fit it in. There is no harm in trying it, so long as you can cope, and you can fit your daily calories within your feeding periods.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I fast for 14 hours. Not intentionally. I eat dinner at 6pm (just because I'm hungry then). Next day I get up at 7am, go for an hour walk, and when I come back at 8am, I eat breakfast. It has had no effect on my results.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast for awhile after I wake up. I got obese eating like that and am losing like that.