Anyone Bake Their Bread? I Have Issues...

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    OP is clearly trying to lose weight and avoid calorie bombs, though.

This isn't about you. It's about her and her question.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nor is it about your projecting. Not everyone needs to be concerned.

Her question was resolved, now silly things are being claimed.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    FatOldBat wrote: »
    Bread is very high in calories, simply because one quarter of a cup of flour is 100 calories. If you make a loaf, let it cool completely, slice it, then freeze it. Seriously, it's very important for you to make bread a special treat and not an everyday habit: major calorie bomb!

^^Not so for everyone. I eat it everyday, and have lost 160+ pounds. Nothing is a "special" treat for me. If I want it, I make it fit in my daily calorie budget. Moderation in all things has worked very well for me, and I will continue to eat what I want in moderation.

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Two words: Food scale.

This is a perfect example of why going based on generic database entries can lead you far afield.

I say, unless you know the calories on the package label, you should calculate all your own recipes by ingredient from scratch. Input the ingredients into the recipe builder, add the total weight in grams of the baked loaf as the number of servings (e.g. a 550g loaf would be 550 servings) and then if you cut a 45g slice, enter 45 servings into your food diary.

It's easy to assume that these things don't matter. But added together, they could mean you're eating hundreds more calories a day than you think you are.

Read this thread.

You won't get any better advice than this!
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I weigh the cooked loaf & enter this as number of servings in the recipe builder.

I then weigh each slice I cut & enter this in my food diary as number of servings I eat.

B)
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Quick note about the recipe builder. Unfortunately the number of servings only goes up to 999, so if your finished loaf weighs more than 1,000 grams you might need to tweak the way you enter the recipe. e.g. if the loaf weighed 1,200 grams, I would halve that number, and then halve all of the ingredients in the recipe builder. It's a bit fiddly but you'll still get a fairly accurate count per slice.
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes I noticed they had changed number of servings in the new (improved!!?) recipe builder.

If my loaf of bread weighs 880g, I log it as 88 servings in the recipe builder.
    In my food diary, I log 144g slices of bread as 14.4 servings.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Yes I noticed they had changed number of servings in the new (improved!!?) recipe builder.

If my loaf of bread weighs 880g, I log it as 88 servings in the recipe builder.
    In my food diary, I log 144g slices of bread as 14.4 servings.

That also makes a lot of sense!
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    I bake my own bread and enter the recipes exactly....

But there is an easy rule of thumb:
    Normal bread (without added fat, or not more than, say, 1-2 tablespoon of oil per loaf) is almost always between 200 and 300 calories per 100g, but usually around 250. 100g = 3.5 oz.

Why that is -- because bread is mostly flour and water. Flour is mostly starch, with a bit of fiber added, and therefore averages 365 for white flour. The higher the wholemeal content, the more starch is replaced with fibre, and so the calorie content goes slightly down.

When making bread dough, you add water to the flour. In most recipes, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the dough is water. 1/3 is quite dry. 1/2 makes a very wet dough, almost impossible to knead and shape if not using rye flour. When you bake the bread, some of the water evaporates. Generally, wholemeal flour can take up more water. Therefore white breads tend to be higher in calories (>250 cal/100g) than wholemeal ones (<250 cal/100g).

Generally, this makes bread a calorie-dense food -- low calorie density is <100 calories/100g, but bread is >200.

That 's not surprising, as bread is an archetypical symbol for nutrition generally!

What that has to do with 'slices' -- if the bread is very light and airy, a slice is 30g (1 oz) (eg toast), if the bread is heavier and denser, a slice is up to 50g (1.5-2 oz) if the bread has a standard tin form. (Larger slices of free-shaped breads weigh more, of course.) and of course slices can be thicker and thinner. I put my slices on the scale.

Therefore they say a slice of toast with a bit of butter is 100 calories. For a denser bread (as homemade breads tend to be), one slice without the butter will already be 100-125 calories.

45 calories for a slice of bread is very rare -- those slices must be very small.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and have no qualms eating calorie bombs, epsecially homemade bread.

Like always, I have nothing useful to add. I make a lot of food from scratch and use the receipe builder and if it's a recipe you use all of the time, you can use it again and again. Just be careful about how many slices/the weight of what you log. I'm greedy so often eat an extra quarter or half a portion to what the receipe says it serves.

• dbmata
    Options
    FatOldBat wrote: »
    Bread is very high in calories, simply because one quarter of a cup of flour is 100 calories. If you make a loaf, let it cool completely, slice it, then freeze it. Seriously, it's very important for you to make bread a special treat and not an everyday habit: major calorie bomb!

^^Not so for everyone. I eat it everyday, and have lost 160+ pounds. Nothing is a "special" treat for me. If I want it, I make it fit in my daily calorie budget. Moderation in all things has worked very well for me, and I will continue to eat what I want in moderation.
    Careful, segacs is going to say that this isn't about you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    When making bread dough, you add water to the flour. In most recipes, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the dough is water. 1/3 is quite dry. 1/2 makes a very wet dough, almost impossible to knead and shape if not using rye flour. When you bake the bread, some of the water evaporates. Generally, wholemeal flour can take up more water. Therefore white breads tend to be higher in calories (>250 cal/100g) than wholemeal ones (<250 cal/100g).
    Then you have the folded 75%+ breads. Difficult to make, but very nice when done right.