Chip Addiction!

Options

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    the home-made popcorn idea is a good one. Try them with brewer's yeast aka nutritional yeast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeas It sounds weird but it's got that savory/salty umami thing that you crave plus protein and B vitamins. I love it way more than chips.

Another good substitution is crispy veggies like carrots and bell peppers with low-fat ranch. I use the regular hidden valley ranch powder but make it into dip with greek yogurt (I use skim, not no fat--a little bit of fat is good for you).
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The only way to stop...just stop.
    There's no secret or trick.
    Every chip you put in your mouth is a choice you're making to eat it.

I told my doctor "I can't stop smoking...I just can't". Know what she said?
    "Of course you can. Just stop".
    So I did.

You can too. Just stop.

[/quote]

I really needed to hear this today. I've been struggling and making excuses for myself and this is just what i needed to hear. Thanks for posting it!

• Fluffie8u
    Fluffie8u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chips are my hell too!! I don't live in a city or town so my access to them are limited but when I go grocery shopping its tough. I don't buy them because no matter how I try to convince myself that it is ok to have them in my house for company and that I will not eat them pffffff not happening! So I can't buy them!!!
  • leiann2003
    leiann2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Either don't buy them or buy the little individual bags (if you can stop eating after one bag). Have you tried veggie straws/chips of baked chips?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    The microwave chips recipe here works amazingly well. No oil needed. They continue to crisp up as they cool.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/healthy-crunchy-three-guilt-free-snacks.html
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    chips are my crack, too. but when i crave them, i find a substitute. for example, i don't really like pringles so if i buy them, i know i will be responsible with the serving size. it seems to keep the cravings at bay.
  • MickyMo
    MickyMo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE chips! Just seeing your post started my craving to find some. It is just like an addiction to anything else and I have no power over it. I can't even look at them right now, the trigger is too strong. My boss keeps several kinds in his drawer at work, it's so hard not to go in there and grab 3 bags at a time. I can overlook donuts or cookies but chips? Not a chance.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I can usually stop after a serving or two...but portion-controlled bags work the best!
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    What happens if you stop purchasing them?

I would say chips were definitely one of my addiction foods and this is exactly what I've done. I think I've purchase snack size chips maybe 4 times in the 2 1/2 months I've been losing weight. I just don't have it around and now I could really care less about having chips.
  • Alawishes4u
    Alawishes4u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. Reading all comments... I am going to try the Kale chips as an alternative. Thanks for sharing!!
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a big chip eater, but I use the portion control and then work it out of my diet completely it has worked previously for me. It cures my cravings without all the calories. I eat a handful and find something to occupy myself *Not Television* because that is when I am prone to eat them.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Come on now. Addicted? Relapse? Can't stop? It's all an excuse.

Oh, I'm not supposed to be mean. Uh, they seem to be using cauliflower for just about everything these days. Cauliflower chips - you're welcome.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have trigger foods that trigger a binge. For instance, too much pizza makes me want to eat muffins, which in turn kicks me towards desserts, which I binge on (entire boxes of Oreos, entire cakes, etc.)

Obviously chips are a binge food for you, but you might want to figure out what the trigger foods are that are causing you to crave chips after not eating them for several weeks. Are you having a lot of bread on the days leading up to the binge? A lot of salty foods? Then next time you want to binge, think back on what you've already eaten and see if you can identify the trigger.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Lots of people that eat chips do it for the TEXTURE and crunch. I eat a LOT of ice because I like crunchy things. Maybe find a different option that can offer the same, but not so many calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    dltoler wrote: »
    Chips and a soda at work was one of my biggest downfalls!! I would raid the vending machine. Now I just make sure not to bring cash to work. I will have chips every now and then but not like I used to because they are so high in calories. :(

I do the same! I purposefully do not bring any form of money to work just to keep from going to the vending machines.

• mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, some of you might think this is funny. But I cant stop eating chips. The longest I've gone without eating chips was 2 weeks (about 3 months) and I "relapsed" and gained over 20+lbs. I don't even crave them, but I I cant stop. I eat like 2-3 bags a day. I've tried to stop eating them and every time I feel like I cant control it. The time that I stopped for 2 weeks, I was sleeping a lot, because if I'm awake I cant hep myself. I told myself that I was going to start eating clean today so yesterday I binged...I ate the big bag of Hot Cheetos, the new Chester's Puff (Pizza Flavor), nachos.

Did any of you know what I'm talking about? A certain food that you just cant stop eating.
    How can I control this, I tried substituting other crunchy snacks, but it doesn't work.

This is my first post, PLEASE DONT BE MEAN.

Try the Quest Protein Chips!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am really bad at moderating chips! It's just better if I don't keep them around. One small bag doesn't work for me, either. Right now I have cut out all vegetable oils like canola, safflower, etc which is in most chips anyway so I just stear clear. Try other crunchy snacks like seasoned nuts to take care of that salty crunchy craving. I also like raw botiva olives for the salt cravings.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Chips are my weakness! I just try not to buy them -- if they're not there, I can't eat them!
  • kadibo
    kadibo Posts: 15
    Options
    Calbee Snapea Crisps and Lentil Crisps are awesome too. A great alternative to chips.
  • twinzmom172
    twinzmom172 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :'( Oh the dreaded potatoes... Chips and mashed potatoes are my biggest issues and if there's onion dip present - forget about it!!! I've only been back on track about 3 weeks, so right now - I'm avoiding mashed (unless they're in an LC or WW dinner where it's portioned - otherwise I cannot be trusted!!) As far as the chips - no dip present - once again I cannot be trusted and seriously who can just eat 2 Tbs of it?! I've switched to the Fat Free Sour Cream and onion Pringles - not healthy and I know some can't tolerate them - but at 70 calories for 15 chips- I get my salty, crunchy fix and on the rare occasion that I may devour 1/2 or the entire container - it's not like you've eaten all your calories for the day. Or - if I'm really hungry I make light popcorn and sprinkle (heavily) with the Mr. Kernel Cheddar topping - crazy low calories and lots to eat. Not sure this helped, but it's what's working for me so far. :)