women who are bulking/ who have bulked

Options
So I just started my first bulk! Looking for friends that have done it and can offer advice and support :)

Replies

• Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my first bulk too. FR sent :smile:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Good luck ladies, I have quite a bit to cut before bulking, but I do eat all the foods due to my current work lvl lol
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm doing my second bulk right now. Last year I was too conservative and only gained 6 lbs in 20 weeks. This time I'm being more aggressive. 32 years old, 5'6", 128 lbs, 16% body fat. Goal weight for bulk is 140-145 lbs.

ETA I'm eating 2700 cals/day and lifting 4x/week.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »
    Good luck ladies, I have quite a bit to cut before bulking, but I do eat all the foods due to my current work lvl lol

Nice, best way to cut!

PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I'm doing my second bulk right now. Last year I was too conservative and only gained 6 lbs in 20 weeks. This time I'm being more aggressive. 32 years old, 5'6", 128 lbs, 16% body fat. Goal weight for bulk is 140-145 lbs.

When you say aggressive, how much is your surplus? I'm reverse dieting, to work my way up to 2000-2300 depending on results, measurements etc.

friend requests sent :)
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Nice, best way to cut!

When you say aggressive, how much is your surplus? I'm reverse dieting, to work my way up to 2000-2300 depending on results, measurements etc.

Last time I was scared to go too much above my TDEE and I shortchanged myself. I'm eating about 300-400 calories above TDEE this time.
  • adorable_aly
    Options

Nice, best way to cut!

Last time I was scared to go too much above my TDEE and I shortchanged myself. I'm eating about 300-400 calories above TDEE this time.

ohhh okay, thats a decent surplus I'm aiming in that region too, hoping like most of us do that I can get that balance between building some decent muscle but not getting too fluffy :/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am bulking, I have been since Sept- Oct (more October since I was really just maintaining the whole month of Sept)
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I tried to bulk before, but wimped out and got nowhere.

Doing much better this time. Reverse dieted slowly, now at about 2500-2700 plus eat back calories for exercise. Starting to see some slow gain at last, and working hard at keeping my nerve. x
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Doing much better this time. Reverse dieted slowly, now at about 2500-2700 plus eat back calories for exercise. Starting to see some slow gain at last, and working hard at keeping my nerve. x

I don't log. When I do, I rethink my food and eat less.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    @PwrLftr82 I have the other problem- I forget to eat if I don't log... oops! Logging is definitely a good thing for me.
  • adorable_aly
    Options

It has taken me almost 2 years just to get up the nerve to bulk, its definitely something you have to be psychologically ready for :)

• adorable_aly
    Options

I don't log. When I do, I rethink my food and eat less.

I had this problem when I was trying to lose, so I stopped counting too... was really bad for me. But by that point I knew cals and macros pretty well so I still lost a fair amount of fat just estimating, which was way better for me mentally.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm actually bulking at the moment too! this is my first bulk and it's kind of been a mixed bag. feel free to send me a request, i could use the support as well :smile:
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of this past year bulking and then doing a bit of a recomp. Mostly because I couldn't stick to my cutting cals consistently. lol

My advice is to ramp up your calories to a slight surplus until you get the feel of that amount of food without getting stressed about it. Shouldn't take you long :)

Then, put all of your focus on the weight on the bar, not the scale. As you increase your lifts, you will probably care less about what the scale says. After a while, it really truly becomes more about how much your pushing, the shape of your muscles, and how dense/hard they feel.

I've just started a moderate cut (AGAIN!).... as I've been maintaining for a while I've learned that my maint. cals are around 2300 per day. My cut goal is just under 2000 cals per day while maintaining my strength gains. Now I want to finally reveal all of that muscle I've spent so much time building :)
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of a bulk when I was forced to take time off to recover from injuries. I'm starting my routine again today, though, and would love to have more heavy lifters on my list.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start my second bulk. I learned a ton during my first one (mostly by doing things wrong) and I'm hoping I can keep my second one going longer.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I learned a ton during my first one (mostly by doing things wrong)

Welcome to the club LOL
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I learned a ton during my first one (mostly by doing things wrong)

Welcome to the club LOL
    I know, right? I even had people giving me really good advice and I found ways to do things wrong! That's just how I learn, apparently ;)

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started my first bulk on Nov. 1st. I'm still in the reverse dieting phase. I'm already not sure this will go well for me. I can already feel myself chickening out, lol.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering a bulk, but am teetering on the edge of whether or not I could handle the weight gain. I also feel nervous about getting too comfortable with eating more and having a harder time cutting back again. :|