Chip Addiction!

Options

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    wow such a long thread for such a simple answer for someone who just cannot say no to chips.....Don't buy them
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    wow such a long thread for such a simple answer for someone who just cannot say no to chips.....Don't buy them

I think a lot of us can relate to this thread. That's why it turned so long.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    wow - good to know I am not the only one addicted to chips
    - here is what is (somewhat) working for me.

I log everything here at MFP. When I go back and look at my calorie consumption of hot cheetos alone - I could have doubled my weight loss in the last few months if I had not had them.
    So since I want to lose weight, I try to keep that in mind
  • Falcon
    Options
    That's what helped me too. I was beginning to think a lower calorie diet was almost impossible but since I don't consume all those high calorie no nutrient treats, I find it's so much easier to eat all the stuff I love and still lose weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Falcon wrote: »
    That's what helped me too. I was beginning to think a lower calorie diet was almost impossible but since I don't consume all those high calorie no nutrient treats, I find it's so much easier to eat all the stuff I love and still lose weight.

Sometimes the high calorie chips are what you love to eat.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have no chip portion control, and one serving of chips is clearly not enough.

I don't buy them. OR if I do, I buy them from a vending machine and then just eat that bag, or I get them at subway. but I have no control. none. it's my weakness.

I can have ice cream and cookies and not over indulge, but give me a bag of chips and it's gone in two days.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    angela233Z wrote: »
    wow - good to know I am not the only one addicted to chips
    - here is what is (somewhat) working for me.

I log everything here at MFP. When I go back and look at my calorie consumption of hot cheetos alone - I could have doubled my weight loss in the last few months if I had not had them.
    So since I want to lose weight, I try to keep that in mind

Weight loss is most definitely a process -- a learning process. For me, sweets are easy to control and don't seem to affect my weight loss while salty foods, especially snack items are a much bigger challenge. I ebb and flow on the ability to not buy or consume this type of food.

About 4200 calories in a family size bag of Doritos, btw. I'm hoping this thread works to limit my intake of salty foods today. thanks!

55835802.png
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    try healthier alternatives - veggie straws, wheat thins, pop chips, special K chips
  • Falcon
    Options

not anymore they're not. I'm afraid I might have a bad reaction to the grease now. It's been four months since I touched any of that stuff.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP you don't have an addiction, you just don't have self control. When you own up to it, you are more able to succeed, but if you keep making excuses, you will never succeed.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    resolve to bake your own. not only will they be ever so slightly better for you, you'll eat less if it's a pain in the *kitten*.
  • BonnieBlaze
    BonnieBlaze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done lately? Is your sodium level low?
    I try to keep them out of the house most of the time.
  • dblanch2013
    Options
    Try the new Wise or Smart-something- Popcorn, White Cheddar or Sea Salt, the light versions. It's like 25 calories per cup of popcorn, and it tastes really good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

not anymore they're not. I'm afraid I might have a bad reaction to the grease now. It's been four months since I touched any of that stuff.

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. I meant a general you. You said not eating the high calorie treats made it easier to eat all the stuff you love. But for some people the high calorie treats ARE what they (we) love.
  • daynamaria25
    daynamaria25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    chip are my biggest weakness
  • Falcon
    edited November 2014
    Options

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. I meant a general you. You said not eating the high calorie treats made it easier to eat all the stuff you love. But for some people the high calorie treats ARE what they (we) love.

I meant cake, chocolate, cheesecake, ice cream and cookies ;) That's what I meant by high calories treats that I love.

I haven't touched most of the fried foods. I'm afraid they might make me sick now. I don't like chips too much anymore. My last bag was a vending machine and it just didn't taste the same anymore.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Most days I can control myself around chips, but certain days when I'm ravenous or have PMS

I wish I wasn't a man so I'd have an excuse for my lack of discipline.

Don't even have to corrupt that wish :)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP you don't have an addiction, you just don't have self control. When you own up to it, you are more able to succeed, but if you keep making excuses, you will never succeed.
    ^^^ so very much this!!

When you are broke, on the streets, in jail, in the hospital, selling your body or dead...then yeah its has become an addiction.

This people is simply a bad habit. One that you have control over and can stop at any time, but choose not to. Your choice.
  • NickyNickers02
    Options
    Chips are one of my biggest weaknesses....I have found that I need to just keep them out of the house and usually if I do bring them in--I get what my husband likes and my kids.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love chips as well, so I don't keep it in the house. What worked for me though is checking how many calories I consume eating chips, or whatever really, and then go out cycling/walking, and see how hard I have to work to burn the same amount. Made me think twice the next time I thought of eating too much.