So many calories

I'm sure this isn't a complaint to many of you but the amount of calories I 'should' eat is crazy to me. How can you eat 1800 calories in a day by healthy eating alone?

Replies

0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Hi - check that you've set your goals at the right level - my allowance is only 1200 calories a day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I'm a small (and older) person, so I don't eat 1800 calories on maintenance, but I know that I surely could. Veggies sautéed in butter, lean meat, dairy, fruit, nuts, whole grains, a little wine, a little dark chocolate. Maybe we have different meanings for the phrase "healthy eating?"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    What do you consider "healthy"? Eat what you always do, only less of it.
  • The extra calories come from crossfit workouts and cardio. And healthy is lean meats, veggies and healthy fats. Oh, and one can only eat so much chicken and protein bars!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Protein bars always made me fat. :X Then again if u do cross fit u probably burn it all off. I make smoothies so if you throw in one or two of those you'll have more calories.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    What about bread, rice, pasta, beans of all kinds ? They have tons of calories. Same for fruits.

Also: wine?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I think healthy eating means that MOST of what you eat is packed with nutrients. And the rest of what you eat makes you happy. I eat chicken, turkey, pork, beef, fish, dairy, a wide variety of fruits and veggies, whole grains, red wine, and dark chocolate. I stay within my calorie goal. It's been working for a good while now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited November 2014
    The extra calories come from crossfit workouts and cardio. And healthy is lean meats, veggies and healthy fats. Oh, and one can only eat so much chicken and protein bars!

Add nut butters (Trader Joes has peanut, almond, cookie). Also, avocados.
  • What about bread, rice, pasta, beans of all kinds ? They have tons of calories. Same for fruits.

I'm gluten free so that cuts out most bread. And wine and I have never been friends. :neutral_face:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I can eat 1800 in one meal ….

try adding bread, pasta, cottage cheese, whole milk, ice cream, vegetables sautéed in olive oil, etc, etc...
  • Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Add nut butters (Trader Joes has no salt added) and avocados.

I do need to add some peanut butter in there. I LOVE peanut butter!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    0067808 wrote: »
    Hi - check that you've set your goals at the right level - my allowance is only 1200 calories a day.
    My calorie intake is 1750 per day--that's *net*, and I lose .5-.75lbs per week like that. I maintain at nearly 2100 calories while working a desk job. She's probably doing just fine with 1800. 1200 calories is not the answer for everyone.

OP, it really depends on your food preferences. There are lots of nutrient dense foods that are also high in calories--lean meats, nuts, dairy. Figure out what you like and go for it!

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited November 2014
    I see the peanut butter was already suggested. Oh, and if you eat dairy, choose full fat or 2% fat versions (I think they taste better, too). Oh, and fats and oils are good to get your calories--butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc.

I average 1700-1800 (total, not net) daily intake. I balance the nutrient dense foods (veggies, salad, chicken breasts, etc) with calorie dense stuff (ooh, look---chocolate, always room for chocolate).

ETA: I also wanted to mention that it's okay (if you're not already) to drink your calories, too to get the number up. Juice, smoothies, milks, etc.
  • ndj1979 wrote: »
    I can eat 1800 in one meal ….

try adding bread, pasta, cottage cheese, whole milk, ice cream, vegetables sautéed in olive oil, etc, etc...
    Holy cow at your food diary! I would love your metabolism! Or, complain about having to feed it. I think I'll take notes from you!

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    I see that your goal is to lose weight (I am surprised, as I assumed that you wanted to gain, and could not figure how you could eat more calories).

Not meaning to be a pest, but how much did you eat when you gained that extra weight? Probably more than 1800 ? So what has changed that makes that goal hard to reach?

Anyway, for now, start by banning all "low calories or light" versions of food from your kitchen, if you have any, and have the "real" things.

And don't hesitate to eat oil. Say you use one in a salad, and an other one in your cooking (a sauté, a sauce, etc.), and you already have approx. 250 cals spent !
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    I eat about 1900 calories with exercise included. I have no problem eating this much, and if I wanted to I would easily be able to eat a fully "healthy" diet. But I frequently add in things like candy. I eat for my macros and use whatever is handy to achieve this.

My diary is open if you'd like to see how I eat on a regular basis (I switched from TDEE to Net to TDEE again, so if you go REALLY far back it will be very... all over the place. I also used to switch my calorie goal around a LOT). All recipes are ones I've created myself, e.g. sloppy joes tonight were made with beef, onion, and a premade jarred sauce. And oil for the pan of course.

BTW, 1900 is my weight loss intake. ~1lb/week and I am going to switch it to ~0.75lb/week once I'm down to 155ish.
  • ana3067
    What about bread, rice, pasta, beans of all kinds ? They have tons of calories. Same for fruits.

I'm gluten free so that cuts out most bread. And wine and I have never been friends. :neutral_face:

I eat GF as well, 4.5 years now. Almost 5. I eat GF breads - took some time to find brands that taste good. I don't eat these all the time though. I eat plenty of rice, sometimes beans (can make me gassy and I'm lazy with prepping them), rice/corn/quinoa pasta, baked goods with protein powder and GF flours, etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited November 2014
    I couldn't eat 1800 calories of healthy food. But I can't stand whole grain breads. I bet that if I added those, I could. I wouldn't like it, but it bet I could.

I took pics of what I ate in a day to the doctor's office, totally prepared for him to argue with me and tell me I could easily eat 1200-1400 calories on that ridiculous diet. I was ready to show him how much food 1000 calories was. Didn't need them. As soon as I started, he began nodding and totally admitted it would be difficult, lol. I wasn't the first person to complain. He'd heard it before. Probably a lot. Plus, he eats pretty healthy and is athletic, so he has to know.

If you aren't medically restricted, try adding some not completely healthy, but not completely junky food to your diet. It gets much easier, really quickly! :)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The extra calories come from crossfit workouts and cardio. And healthy is lean meats, veggies and healthy fats. Oh, and one can only eat so much chicken and protein bars!

What kind of nut is a cookie? We don't have those in Australia, must be a GM American thing?
  • ana3067
    shai74 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

What kind of nut is a cookie? We don't have those in Australia, must be a GM American thing?

CookieButter.jpg