Body Shaming - Your Views/Opinions and Experiences

Options
13»

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    as someone who has lost 113lbs...im not in favor od shaming people, but lets be real.....plus size models are fat and we shouldnt be enabling fatness.

Actually most "plus size" models aren't actually overweight.
    • Top plus size model Robyn Lawley stands 6'2" and weighs 180 pounds, giving her a healthy BMI of 23.11.
    • Jennie Runk is 5'10" and 170 pounds, making her BMI 24.39.
    • Sophie Dahl (one of the first plus-size "supermodels") is 6' and 168...BMI 22.78

Most plus size models are actually too small to wear plus size clothes. They usually wear between a size 10-14 US, while stores such as Lane Bryant only start at a size 14.

Of course when you are accustomed to seeing top models with underweight BMIs below 17 in magazines and walking the runway, these "plus size" women would appear large in comparison. On the other hand, if you saw most of them in person, they would appear on the slim side of average.

I used to work for a well-known bridal magazine, and we had models in the office on a regular basis. Most of the girls were the typical size 2-6 models (this was prior to "size 0" becoming the standard)...and many of them appeared unnaturally tall and slender...to the point of gawkiness. Occasionally, we would see larger girls (for a shoot featuring plus-size gowns) and their bodies actually seemed much better proportioned.

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    ^ sorry, but even though they are in normal BMIR I would say to the naked eye, someone ina size 10-14 is usually overweight. again, just an opinion, im sure ill get flamed, but oh well.
  • ilfaith
    Options
    Of course...because a size 14 on a 6'2" woman looks just like a size 14 on a woman a foot shorter.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    ^of course, i mean in general. There arent that many 6'2 women walking around.
  • ilfaith
    Options
    But most plus size models are over 5'10"...and in your earlier statement you claimed that plus size models, rather than plus size women in general, are fat.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    ok there are no absolutes, speaking generally anyone listed as a plus sized model is...PLUS sized and usually at least chubby.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    Disagree. Not speaking up gives the impression that no one objects, and the behavior continues unabated.
    Let's test that theory.
    Right now you are refreshing your screen to come back and see if I retorted. Right?
    And you would keep doing so, until I responded.
    And you would have felt "let-down" if I in turn, never countered or posted back.
    And now that I have retorted, you are already crafting, in your mind, a witty, powerful, "show-stopper" of a response.
    And I planned the whole thing, from the second I posted word one.

People that are easily offended, are easily controlled.
    When you know how someone is going to react, you can calculate ways to manipulate those individuals... like I just did here to prove my point.

(Not that you're easily offended... I'm just evil, and REALLY REALLY good at winning arguments :smiley: )

Unrelated, I like your glasses.

wow! you must be a great lawyer... ;)
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Context is everything:

http://www.today.com/style/model-myla-dalbesio-calvin-klein-using-me-groundbreaking-1D80280707

She was cast as a CK Underwear model - not a runway model, not a catalog model. This is a first for the industry, and I think a healthy move forward. The fact that she is being shamed for this is abhorrent, and says much more about the people doing it than the Calvin Klein brand.

In fact, this brought me to tears, as someone who struggles very very much with image issues. I refuse to wear a size 10 anything, because it triggers the 'fat' image in my head. I did used to be a 16 seven years ago... lost down to a size 2 and probably nearly lost my life in the process. And at 5'9" - that's not right in anyone's book.

The fact is that the hate is going to happen these days - people hate on every frickin' thing. We don't have to tolerate it, but we don't have to make a big issue out of it either. But like Myla says in the interview - this ad campaign started a month ago. Without the hate, no one would have even noticed. And I think it's uber-important that it did.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't we ever get tired of blaming the media for everything? Unhappy being fat? Change it. Worried you are going to catch ebola? Learn science. Not in a quality job? Get a relevant degree, network, volunteer, etc. Stop buying into the filth the media spews out, and the industry might produce something relevant. We get this garbage day in, day out because this is what we the people feast on. Instead of being outraged by today's news (and tomorrow's, and the next day's), work on YOU. Help your friends, family, etc.. It's so much more rewarding than spinning your wheels on this.

Oh, and in response to the topic, she is not a plus size model for Calvin Klein. She's just a regular old model for Calvin Klein. Never have they mentioned her as anything other than that.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Every body has their own struggles and since we don't what their struggles are, who is anyone to judge. It could be illness that causes weight issues and even medications that cause it. It could be they aren't in the correct mental frame to get going. Fat or skinny, it has happened forever, and most likely won't stop today. It isn't fair, it isn't right, but it is what it is. How people choose to go about handling the shaming is what makes the difference. Either doing something about it or ignore it all together. Nobody can make another person do what they need to do by making them feel worse about themselves. And what difference does it make anyway. If said shamers aren't planning on being in their life in any way, it kind of doesn't matter what other people think.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Don't we ever get tired of blaming the media for everything? Unhappy being fat? Change it. Worried you are going to catch ebola? Learn science. Not in a quality job? Get a relevant degree, network, volunteer, etc. Stop buying into the filth the media spews out, and the industry might produce something relevant. We get this garbage day in, day out because this is what we the people feast on. Instead of being outraged by today's news (and tomorrow's, and the next day's), work on YOU. Help your friends, family, etc.. It's so much more rewarding than spinning your wheels on this.

Oh, and in response to the topic, she is not a plus size model for Calvin Klein. She's just a regular old model for Calvin Klein. Never have they mentioned her as anything other than that.
    Expounding on your last sentence a tad...

"Calvin Klein does not explicitly label Dalbesio as a plus-size model in the campaign for its new "Perfectly Fit" line.

A Calvin Klein spokesperson told The New York Times, "The new Calvin Klein Underwear Perfectly Fit imagery features models Myla Dalbesio, Jourdan Dunn, Amanda Wellsh, Ji Hye Park and the face of the brand, Lara Stone, in several styles. The Perfectly Fit line was created to celebrate and cater to the needs of different women, and these images are intended to communicate that our new line is more inclusive and available in several silhouettes in an extensive range of sizes."
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Expounding on your last sentence a tad...

"Calvin Klein does not explicitly label Dalbesio as a plus-size model in the campaign for its new "Perfectly Fit" line.

A Calvin Klein spokesperson told The New York Times, "The new Calvin Klein Underwear Perfectly Fit imagery features models Myla Dalbesio, Jourdan Dunn, Amanda Wellsh, Ji Hye Park and the face of the brand, Lara Stone, in several styles. The Perfectly Fit line was created to celebrate and cater to the needs of different women, and these images are intended to communicate that our new line is more inclusive and available in several silhouettes in an extensive range of sizes."

It just seems to be a giant leap to go from the Calvin Klein statement to the outrage that it has created.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    To answer the original question:

I was surprised at how betrayed I felt when I finally realized/found out about how extensively images of women are photoshopped and airbrushed. We've been told all through girlhood that models are underweight and the industry is unhealthy etc. etc., but you see pictures of actresses and women that aren't obviously models and they are still altered -- and I think that really hit hard. I didn't even read magazines much but the images are just everywhere and I don't know how anyone can be immune to it if they see it practically every day.

I was underweight or at least looked underweight for a long time in youth due to a medical condition and was called all sorts of names like anorexic girl, skinny bones, skeleton, twig, and so on. But, you know, same old story. Basically, it doesn't matter what your body looks like some a-hole is going to show up to ridicule you sometime.

It's a good thing that this stuff is coming out and media outfits are finally adapting to more normal looking models again and starting to reject digitally altering bodies for images, too. But from all the stupid hate you get over women's bodies on places like youtube (well, this might never go away) you'd think nothing has changed.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't really see it as "shaming". It's opinion, and in this new world, everyone thinks their opinion actually matters. If you are butt hurt over every discussion of size, you are probably not happy with yourself. A size 14 woman will be too fat for some, and not soft and curvy enough for another. Always has been, always will be.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'd say a UK 14 dress (US 10) on me, 5'4", would be quite hefty. As many have said, it depends on your height. In my opinion, once you go over size 10 dress, on any height, it is obvious you are carrying around extra weight. Not to say it cannot be attractive, but...it's there. Those aren't small dress sizes.