Fitness On The Job

Options
I was just wondering how people go about staying active in their work places? I know some jobs are very physically demanding and other jobs require long periods of time sitting. What do you guys do?

When I lost my first 80lbs+ I worked a job where I was standing up and moving around nonstop for 8 hours or more. I then went to my first desk job: 12 hours of sitting and doing absolutely nothing (not even work!). I began working out on my lunch breaks and walking around the building and eventually quit the job because it was killing me inside (Boring, stationary job!). My current job has me walking up and down multiple flights of stairs almost daily and walking close to a mile a day. I have a gym in my office and am allowed to use it on lunch breaks and my Director lets me get up and dance behind my desk when I'm feeling like I need to stretch. I'm an Assistant Property Manager, if that explains it a little bit.

Replies

• Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In a way I lucked out as I work for Xerox in one of the test labs. Our lab is in a large warehouse building and per my Fitbit it is a 1200 step walk when I do my "perimeter walk." I easily walk 5-7 miles a day just at work. Add in all the paper that I have to move to my printer and to the recycle bins all day and I get a decent workout just by going to work.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I got lucky with the height of my desk. I have a chair but I choose to stand. It's not a lot but it's better than sitting all day :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I improvise and will go from one office to another several times just to get myself up and moving. Its amazing how you can factor movement into what would normally be a mostly sedentary job - I can now clock up around 4000 steps just at work. Before I come to work in the morning I workout, so before I leave the house I have already totted up 7000-9000 steps alone.
    If I want to eat 2000 calories I have to earn them :smile:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Somedays my job is one very long workout...somedays it's just sitting around and waiting. On the "waiting days" I am lucky to enjoy the full gym my squad has. (And most days I really do use it!)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, and I work on the tenth floor. Every lunchtime, I go walking for 30-45 minutes. On my morning and afternoon breaks, I take the stairs down to the first floor and climb back up to the tenth. If I'm feeling really tired, I'll do some bodyweight squats in my cubicle. Sometimes I get funny looks, but idgaf. I'm in better shape than everyone I work with.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    There's a gym in my office building and I used it pretty regularly when I was doing all cardio. When I switched to weights, I had to go to a different gym because the office gym didn't have a lot of the equipment that I needed.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My company really promotes being active, given that we're all at desks it's helpful! We have fitness centers in the office building with cardio, weights, group classes and a great trail system for walking. Very fortunate! I make a point to walk during lunch, or walk up to the top floor to fill my water bottle, etc. Helps with the FitBit step counts!
  • Mister_Al
    Options
    I have days with 4-6 hours of calls and meetings, so some days it's tough. I'll take calls standing up, will take the long way to get a coffee or to the kitchen when grabbing my lunch.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have to do quite a bit of work at my desk, but I have co-workers who I take walks with on our morning and afternoon breaks. Additionally, I will do squats or lunges whenever I take a bathroom break. My husband and I used to do a contest to see how many squats we could get in during the work day. We would text our # during lunch breaks to see where we were at. I'm competitive enough that if he was higher, I'd try to add in more for myself before the work day ended.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I sit all day, and basically most of the night. :(
    Get up and move when you can.
    Bathroom breaks, you can do some pushups against the sink, squats, and a few different moves.
    When you have to go somewhere, take the stairs twice if you can (go up and down and up to where you're going for example)

Good luck!

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    10 coworkers and myself just finished the 30 day tricep dip challenge.. takes about 15 minutes a day.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a Desk Cycle under my desk, and I pedal it whenever I can. I also do walking loops around my my department when I can get away from my office. I still work out and lift on my regular schedule as well, even on my work days.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    I have a Desk Cycle under my desk, and I pedal it whenever I can. I also do walking loops around my my department when I can get away from my office. I still work out and lift on my regular schedule as well, even on my work days.

That. Is. Amazing. I want this and I must now set out to find where one can be bought for an extremely cheap price!
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I work 2 nights and 2 days a week in 12 hour shifts. It's extremely sedentary and due to the nature of the job, lunch has to be taken at my desk, so I can't go for a walk or use the gym.

However I can get away with leaving my spot for a few minutes once per hour. My building has nine flights of stairs, so every hour I walk up those and take the lift down. If I'm feeling energetic enough I will jog up as many of them as I can.

I also just fidget a lot at my desk. It's not much, but it helps.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Interesting. Going to have to look at one of these and weigh in of the weird looks I'll get are worth it.

• Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options

That. Is. Amazing. I want this and I must now set out to find where one can be bought for an extremely cheap price!

I got mine on Amazon for about $150, it is the DeskCycle brand one, but I am sure with a little research you can find one that is just as good but lower in price.

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    As a paramedic, I workout on duty pretty much every shift. Some days it's a kettle bell workout, or I hang up the TRX. Other days I go for a run. Most of the time, I am even able to complete the workout and get a shower in without catching a call.

52347977.png
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, but my printer, fax, copier, etc. are in a separate room, so I make countless trips back and forth all day. I also make sure I take bathroom breaks regularly, which is down the hall, and drink lots of water.

And, this may seem trivial to some, but something that really helps me is maintaining proper posture. I have my computer monitors, phone, keyboard, etc. all placed so that I can keep proper spine alignment and I have a foot rest that raises my knees to the right height. I don't cross my legs, either. At the end of the day, if my back and neck hurt I'd sure be less likely to workout!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My company has manufacturing behind the offices with a safe walking path around the outside edge. I do laps on my lunch hour for a 1/2 hour at a very very fast pace. I'm completely winded by the time I'm done. The bests part is I can't use my excuse that it's too cold or it's raining or it's too humid to exercise...it's always the same conditions! :-)

• PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't eat on lunch and go walk for an hour instead. I just eat while I'm working for food during the day, a small snack every couple of hours or so.

Plus I work out when I get home.