Addiction to sugar

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Addictive as cocaine. Science proven. Robert lustig.

You forgot the qualifier of in rodents using unrealistic conditions.
  • Acg67
    Options
    pgilly81 wrote: »
    I agree with Stephanie. While some (most) don't consider sugar to be addictive, for me sugar and take out food is like a drug. Once I start eating it, there is no off switch until I've made myself sick. Its shocking how much I could eat in one sitting sometimes.

Because of this as of November 1st I gave it all up. Cold turkey. Not gonna lit the first few days were awful. I was cranky and had terrible mood swings but the longer I go without it the better I feel.

12 days in, i'm down 5 pounds and I feel great. I sleep better and i don't have an upset stomach all the time. You can do this, and you can add me as a friend for support if you like. Its tough and a lot of people won't understand that you can't have "just a little taste".

So if you eat any carbs (sugars! eek!) you binge on it? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Apples?
  • pgilly81
    pgilly81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Stop eating it then

So logical....just stop! Thats like telling a meth head....just stop *shakes head*

Its possible, I did it. Its awful in the beginning, and you need to have to WANT to stop to have the will power to stick with it.... but it is possible.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit. Have a piece at every meal. Don't drink juice. Eat sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, parsnips, etc... Eventually you will retrain your taste buds. Stay away from refined carbs, flour products, sugar. Eat low GI or GL. If you can't eat something without sugar on it then don't eat it, eat something else.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Ludka13 wrote: »
    Eat fruit. Have a piece at every meal. Don't drink juice. Eat sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, parsnips, etc... Eventually you will retrain your taste buds. Stay away from refined carbs, flour products, sugar. Eat low GI or GL. If you can't eat something without sugar on it then don't eat it, eat something else.

Fruits have sugar in case you were wondering
  • pgilly81
    pgilly81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

So if you eat any carbs (sugars! eek!) you binge on it? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Apples?

Clearly we are talking about the crappy sugars found in junk foods. :neutral_face:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ludka13 wrote: »
    M&M's have a lower GI than a lot of fruits

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Addictive as cocaine. Science proven. Robert lustig.

Word to the wise. Lustig is a known quack. You kinda lost credibility with this post.

You also probably shouldn't get your "facts" from YouTube documentaries meant to give fear to the unknowledgeable.

nachoscience.gif
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You have a behavioural issue. Sugar as a substance is not addictive. If you genuinely can't stop then you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Completely wrong and ignorant. Sugar is as addictive as cocaine........studies show your brain reacts the same when on sugar as it does when on cocaine. And anything in life can be addictive. It's all about the pleasure you receive from said substance or activity.
  • Acg67
    Options

Clearly we are talking about the crappy sugars found in junk foods. :neutral_face:

Clearly, so which ones are the crappy ones? Sucrose like a sugar packet which is also found in apples?
  • Acg67
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You have a behavioural issue. Sugar as a substance is not addictive. If you genuinely can't stop then you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Completely wrong and ignorant. Sugar is as addictive as cocaine........studies show your brain reacts the same when on sugar as it does when on cocaine. And anything in life can be addictive. It's all about the pleasure you receive from said substance or activity.

Calling people ignorant? Pot meet Kettle lmao
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one on this forum has recommended the use of Stevia. It's a 100% natural sugar substitute with no GMO's.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Google "Fed Up Challenge" and read the resources on their website. I did the 10 day sugar cleanse, which was quite challenging because almost all processed foods have added sugar, but it helped me greatly. I have always had a "sweet tooth" and nothing really works like going cold turkey. Sugar truly is a drug, so as long as you continue to have small amounts in your diet (yes even 2 fun size candy bars is enough to throw you off track!) you will struggle. Try doing a sugar cleanse for 1-2 weeks where you have nothing with ADDED sugar. You can have sugars that occur naturally in foods (like fruit, and even carrots have naturally occurring sugar) but stay away from anything added. This means you have to read labels, yes all labels, because bread, salad dressing, pretty mush everything has sugar added. Once you become more aware of how sugar is in foods you would think have no place for sugar (like bread) it becomes easier to weed it out of your diet. So #1, start reading labels, #2 do a cleanse. From personal experience a sugar cleanse is the only thing to help me break a bad binge. Every 6 months or so I do it again when I feel like my sugar intake has been creeping up.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I had to peek at your diary.. first I want to say I'm impressed that someone talking about how bad sugar is has an open diary...

But, you eat a Quaker Oats Trail mix bar (saw it a few times) this has 9g of omg sugar... what makes that such a better choice then say my cookies that have 8g of sugar (and I guarantee taste much better)

So is your Trail mix bar junk food?? Just curious
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    kelseyhere wrote: »
    Google "Fed Up Challenge" and read the resources on their website. I did the 10 day sugar cleanse, which was quite challenging because almost all processed foods have added sugar, but it helped me greatly. I have always had a "sweet tooth" and nothing really works like going cold turkey. Sugar truly is a drug, so as long as you continue to have small amounts in your diet (yes even 2 fun size candy bars is enough to throw you off track!) you will struggle. Try doing a sugar cleanse for 1-2 weeks where you have nothing with ADDED sugar. You can have sugars that occur naturally in foods (like fruit, and even carrots have naturally occurring sugar) but stay away from anything added. This means you have to read labels, yes all labels, because bread, salad dressing, pretty mush everything has sugar added. Once you become more aware of how sugar is in foods you would think have no place for sugar (like bread) it becomes easier to weed it out of your diet. So #1, start reading labels, #2 do a cleanse. From personal experience a sugar cleanse is the only thing to help me break a bad binge. Every 6 months or so I do it again when I feel like my sugar intake has been creeping up.
    Interesting, thanks :)
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one on this forum has recommended the use of Stevia. It's a 100% natural sugar substitute with no GMO's.
    it may be natural, but it tastes like ca-ca.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

I had to peek at your diary.. first I want to say I'm impressed that someone talking about how bad sugar is has an open diary...

But, you eat a Quaker Oats Trail mix bar (saw it a few times) this has 9g of omg sugar... what makes that such a better choice then say my cookies that have 8g of sugar (and I guarantee taste much better)

So is your Trail mix bar junk food?? Just curious

Am I the only one who thought pgilly81 was being sarcastic about junk foods? Isn't that the point of the straight-line-smile emoji?