edited November 2014
    Options
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    pgilly81 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

So if you eat any carbs (sugars! eek!) you binge on it? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Apples?

Clearly we are talking about the crappy sugars found in junk foods. :neutral_face:

I had to peek at your diary.. first I want to say I'm impressed that someone talking about how bad sugar is has an open diary...

But, you eat a Quaker Oats Trail mix bar (saw it a few times) this has 9g of omg sugar... what makes that such a better choice then say my cookies that have 8g of sugar (and I guarantee taste much better)

So is your Trail mix bar junk food?? Just curious
    Of course it's not, because she eats it. That's how it works. If you put it into ice cream........instant junk food.

Don't you dare mess with my ice cream by putting one of those bars anywhere near it...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

So if you eat any carbs (sugars! eek!) you binge on it? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Apples?

Clearly we are talking about the crappy sugars found in junk foods. :neutral_face:

I had to peek at your diary.. first I want to say I'm impressed that someone talking about how bad sugar is has an open diary...

But, you eat a Quaker Oats Trail mix bar (saw it a few times) this has 9g of omg sugar... what makes that such a better choice then say my cookies that have 8g of sugar (and I guarantee taste much better)

Am I the only one who thought pgilly81 was being sarcastic about junk foods? Isn't that the point of the straight-line-smile emoji?

Read her other post and you would know she was not being sarcastic
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one on this forum has recommended the use of Stevia. It's a 100% natural sugar substitute with no GMO's.

Don't eat bananas they are full of sugar and gmo
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    This thread is just reminding me of my epic failure of running out of sugar today.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one on this forum has recommended the use of Stevia. It's a 100% natural sugar substitute with no GMO's.

Stevia is more highly processed and further from its natural state than table sugar.
  • pgilly81
    pgilly81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I don't think I ever said sugar was bad. I said that for me personally I have an issue controlling the amount of food I personally consider to be not good choices (chocolate, ice cream, cookies etc.) Others don't put labels on types of food and are able to fit everything into their diet, and one day I hope to be able to get back to an "everything in moderation" lifestyle, But for right now I choose not to eat them because in my brain I have no control over the portions I eat in one sitting.

Everyone has their own battles, if you're able to control yourself with cookies, that's fantastic. A serving of cookies for me used to be at least 15. That's not good for me and because I know I have trouble stopping after 1 or 2, I choose not to eat them. I never said no one should eat them.

As for the Trail mix bar, its something I am aware of that I need to change in my diet. I'm not perfect, I never claimed to be. I make bad choices just like everyone else. I sometimes opt for easy which I'm working on. I have 2 jobs and go to school. I've been serious about this for 12 days. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I'm pretty damn proud about what I've been able to do in those 12 days.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    This thread is just reminding me of my epic failure of running out of sugar today.

Don't worry. You can just substitute cocaine or heroin instead.

Hmmm, that is a thought let me check the pantry for the hidden stash that would make an interesting cake
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Threads like this remind me how little people seem to know about addiction. Addiction isn't just a word you can throw out there because you feel you have no control. Addiction to a substance is a serious and dangerous condition. True addiction can lead to death very easily. Your tollerance increases and it becomes easy to overdose. Sugar is not an addictive substance. It is enjoyable and therefore people want a lot of it but without it you will not die the way you may die in withdrawls from other substances. Sugar is not something that you start jonesing for - willing to do anything to get your fix. I have never heard of someone prostituting themselves for sugar.

Now obviously that does not mean people don't have trouble with overeating sugar. But you are not physically addicted to it. You are enjoying it, may be even using it to comfort yourself but you are not addicted.

If you want to cut down on your sugar intake go ahead. But please don't call it an addiction cause clearly you do not know what you are talking about.

-A social worker from one of the most heavily drug addicted cities in North America
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    I was addicted to sugar back then. I recall eating raw sugar and my cup of coffee has more than 4 teaspoonful of sugar and I would have more than 3 cups a day. It was more of coffee-flavored sugar for me.

I did go cold turkey when I started trying to lose weight but that didn't cut it. I relied on coconut sugar and sugar substitutes for a month then I started cutting that as well and managed to come clean after 3 months. I still use sugar albeit I use 1 teaspoon or less for a cup of coffee.

Now I'm working to further minimize that by looking into alternatives to coffee well at least just something to keep me up in the night shift.

• Acg67
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    Threads like this remind me how little people seem to know about addiction. Addiction isn't just a word you can throw out there because you feel you have no control. Addiction to a substance is a serious and dangerous condition. True addiction can lead to death very easily. Your tollerance increases and it becomes easy to overdose. Sugar is not an addictive substance. It is enjoyable and therefore people want a lot of it but without it you will not die the way you may die in withdrawls from other substances. Sugar is not something that you start jonesing for - willing to do anything to get your fix. I have never heard of someone prostituting themselves for sugar.
    If you want to cut down on your sugar intake go ahead. But please don't call it an addiction cause clearly you do not know what you are talking about.

-A social worker from one of the most heavily drug addicted cities in North America

Belittling us sugar addicts will only lead us to binge and go further down the hole of addiction

• vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I struggle with sugar cravings sometimes. This is what I do to curb the cravings: eat fruit (such as an apple, pear, banana, or berries), add berries to protein powder smoothies, add lemon or orange wedge to my water, eat greek yogurt (if plain, I sweeten with a little honey and add cinnamon), add a bite size piece of dark chocolate to a cup of coffee...and if nothing else, try using a natural sugar substitute like stevia. Good luck!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @s_pekz - but what about the chip addiction lady?? :o
  • s_pekz
    Options
    oh and you can always use aspartame if you want something sweet but feel sugar is killing you. There are lots of alternatives if you feel that white sugar in itself is the problem.
  • s_pekz
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    @s_pekz - but what about the chip addiction lady?? :o

I must have missed that one! We had a stat holiday in my province yesterday so I literally did nothing. I like to keep the quack threads for when i am bored at work. ANyone have a link to it?? SOunds like fun
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

I don't think I ever said sugar was bad. I said that for me personally I have an issue controlling the amount of food I personally consider to be not good choices (chocolate, ice cream, cookies etc.) Others don't put labels on types of food and are able to fit everything into their diet, and one day I hope to be able to get back to an "everything in moderation" lifestyle, But for right now I choose not to eat them because in my brain I have no control over the portions I eat in one sitting.

Everyone has their own battles, if you're able to control yourself with cookies, that's fantastic. A serving of cookies for me used to be at least 15. That's not good for me and because I know I have trouble stopping after 1 or 2, I choose not to eat them. I never said no one should eat them.

As for the Trail mix bar, its something I am aware of that I need to change in my diet. I'm not perfect, I never claimed to be. I make bad choices just like everyone else. I sometimes opt for easy which I'm working on. I have 2 jobs and go to school. I've been serious about this for 12 days. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I'm pretty damn proud about what I've been able to do in those 12 days.

You are just starting I get it, I was there about 2 years ago. In that time I've lost 116 lbs, and learned that their are no good or bad food. I'm not saying your bar is good or bad, if you enjoy it and it fits into your day that's great.

When I started a serving of cookies or anything was usually when they were all gone, it takes work. But calling food junk food, labeling good or bad, makes this more difficult than it needs to be. Eat food you enjoy, make it fit into your day

• Acg67
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    oh and you can always use aspartame if you want something sweet but feel sugar is killing you. There are lots of alternatives if you feel that white sugar in itself is the problem.

This is a site for support and suggesting the known toxin aspartame isn't very supportive