First Half Marathon! Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have the race map in front of me-looks like a great route-and should be gorgeous-through the streets of the historic downtown part of Annapolis. Colors are gorgeous, historic buildings...
    I'll be using my phone (in an arm band) to track my run-not for music since so many advise against it-if I did, I'd use one ear bud not both.
    I've never carb loaded before...not even before yesterday's run and that was my longest run to date. I actually eat more veggies than anything in my diet and had a huge salad and some black beans the night before my run yesterday. Probably just keep doing what I'm doing.
    I'm getting up plenty early to eat breakfast, have coffee and hopefully go to the bathroom before even leaving for the race.

The snacks are somewhat unavoidable (as much as I'd LIKE them to be) because sustaining safe blood glucose levels usually requires a certain amount of carb during the race. I have Type I diabetes (actually, that weekend is the 15 year anniversary of when I was diagnosed!) I've read up on it and talked with the endocrinologists I work with and they advised me to cut back on my mealtime insulin before my run, reduce or stop basal insulin during the run and pack carbs to fuel every few miles (yesterday I fueled every 3 and kept gorgeous blood sugar levels during the whole thing :blush: )
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    The other good news is that the elevation gain on this run is like...nothing...not compared to even my standard run-so I can just relax and enjoy. I'm so excited!
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I took headphones, gels, gatorade etc. for my first half marathon - my longest run prior to it was only 6 miles so I had no idea what I'd need. In the end I didn't use the headphones it was much more fun listening to the encouraging crowd. I didn't use the gels (I forgot about them), the gatorade was too sweet so I just collected water on the way round.

I was so enjoying the moment, the crowd, the music, the camaraderie of fellow runners that I just seemed to get pulled round.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, and with 12 miles under your belt you already know you can do it. Just do what you usually do before a run and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    And also regarding that sack of treats you're running with... yeah, you probably don't need all of that. It is a good security blanket, but you'd be surprised at what your body actually needs vs what you think it needs. Take it from a guy who would pop Sport Beans on 5mi runs.

A big part of the reason I fuel during runs is not for endurance-I have type I diabetes and I fuel to avoid low blood sugar during the run. I've pretty much got it down to a science as far as keeping my blood sugar between 90-140 during the run...Especially with the extra adrenaline...I think I may have to stick to the fuel I've been doing. As much as I don't necessarily want to be eating-sometimes I have to.

Ahhh completely understand. I'm glad you have that under control. There was a lady here a few months ago wanting to run a half with uncontrolled diabetes, as in, to the point where she was hospitalized for it a few times. You don't seem like a twit, so best of luck. Sometimes the best races are the ones you sign up for at the last minute - less stress, fewer expectations. You got this :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good luck!! don't try anything new on race day. and try and relax the week before the race. look up a half marathon training plan, and copy it's last week
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    red_90 wrote: »
    I took headphones, gels, gatorade etc. for my first half marathon - my longest run prior to it was only 6 miles so I had no idea what I'd need. In the end I didn't use the headphones it was much more fun listening to the encouraging crowd. I didn't use the gels (I forgot about them), the gatorade was too sweet so I just collected water on the way round.

I was so enjoying the moment, the crowd, the music, the camaraderie of fellow runners that I just seemed to get pulled round.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, and with 12 miles under your belt you already know you can do it. Just do what you usually do before a run and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I am so excited-and I NEVER thought I'd say I was excited to run!
    I will probably use my phone just for the sake of Strava, but not for music...since it's my first race, I want to get the full experience. Can't wait!

I usually do half the amount of gatorade powder in water-if only to get the electrolytes...it's diet so it's not super sugary :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I usually do half the amount of gatorade powder in water-if only to get the electrolytes...it's diet so it's not super sugary :)

A trick I will use, since I don't particularly like Gatorade when I am running hard, is to grab both a cup of the Gatorade, and a cup of water at the aid station, then mix them into one cup.

It takes a little practice to be able to do that while running and it also takes practice to actually drink from a cup while running, but it works.

One tip with that - crush the top of the cup so the opening is "long" and sip from one end - this way you have less of a chance of splashing water (or worse, sticky Gatorade) all over your face and shirt.

• MSeel1984
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

A trick I will use, since I don't particularly like Gatorade when I am running hard, is to grab both a cup of the Gatorade, and a cup of water at the aid station, then mix them into one cup.

It takes a little practice to be able to do that while running and it also takes practice to actually drink from a cup while running, but it works.

One tip with that - crush the top of the cup so the opening is "long" and sip from one end - this way you have less of a chance of splashing water (or worse, sticky Gatorade) all over your face and shirt.

Well and if I wear my fuel belt, it holds two bottles...I usually only use one (only used one on my run yesterday...I'm like a camel-I REALLY don't get dehydrated LoL)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Well and if I wear my fuel belt, it holds two bottles...I usually only use one (only used one on my run yesterday...I'm like a camel-I REALLY don't get dehydrated LoL)

It takes a lot to get dehydrated... but it doesn't take a lot to get hyponatremia
  • MSeel1984
    Options

It takes a lot to get dehydrated... but it doesn't take a lot to get hyponatremia

Good point :)

• erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    1st- do exactly what you did on your 12.1 mile run. Don't try to change any fuel or your gut may be angry.
    also, you should probably be in taper mode until the race.

Yep, that's my only advice. Oh, and HAVE FUN! :smiley: it'll be great!

Exactly this.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's funny, in the "bad old days" of deprivation training you didn't have runners dying from dehydration. Their times may not have been as good but this whole culture of hyper-hydration is a byproduct of great marketing by the companies that sell sports drinks......

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

It's funny, in the "bad old days" of deprivation training you didn't have runners dying from dehydration. Their times may not have been as good but this whole culture of hyper-hydration is a byproduct of great marketing by the companies that sell sports drinks......

qxqi03tgimbk.jpg

• MSeel1984
    Options

qxqi03tgimbk.jpg

Well and honestly I only use one little water bottle (like I did yesterday on a 12.1 mile run)...Didn't feel terribly thirsty. And the snacks I pack have sodium in them so I'm not really worried. Plus I use diet gatorade so I am getting electrolytes...
    And If I'm going on a 5k-10k I may or may not even bring the belt-just a couple snacks in case of hypoglycemia.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    And also regarding that sack of treats you're running with... yeah, you probably don't need all of that. It is a good security blanket, but you'd be surprised at what your body actually needs vs what you think it needs. Take it from a guy who would pop Sport Beans on 5mi runs.
    5 miles? I've been known to pop a few beans on my 5Ks. Mostly it's because my mouth gets bored, though. :)

I missed the part about the fuel and Gatorade being so anxious to hand out my "It's my first race" advice. While I love candy corn, you probably don't need quite so much stuff to eat during the race. If you're comfortable doing it, then by all means, but be wary of how much you eat before the race and adding to that bulk. Too much in your stomach is going to be unpleasant.

Check out the water station intervals on the race map. I used to strap my 10 ounce bottle on my race belt but I've found for most races the water stations are more than adequate to meet my needs. Many races will have both Gatorade and water at the later stops. I usually take a half cup of each at those but sometimes if there's a lot of stations, even in the warm and dry climate here, I'll get a bit "sloshy" by the end.

Hey, we were all new once. In my defense, I ran 3 marathons this season on just one banana. It can be done with training ;)
    How did you make the other two thirds of that banana last that long?
    hermann341 wrote: »
    I think I can top that banana. My last marathon I only needed two Gu Chomps, and it wasn't for the energy.
    You stick 'em to the front of your shoes for the extra bounce?

LOL, nice! Actually, just felt a wee bit of hunger, so they were just to give my stomach something to keep it occupied.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    If you are at 12.1 miles already, you should be fine. Pace yourself and run with a goal to finish. Don't go crazy at start of the race, they don't give medals for running first few miles fastest and getting hurt. I see lot of folks who start flying in the beginning and then get hurt.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice but maybe some motivating words. You are gonna be so proud when you are done, and that proud doesn't go away!. I am very proud of the half I completed and even to this day thinking of it makes me feel pretty good.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If you've ran 12.1 you can make it to 13 no problem. I only did 11 before my first half. Pacing is key to finishing, if you can pace yourself, you will be OK.

As far as snacks go, fuel up about every hour that you run. My guess is you will finish between 2-3 hours, so you probably need to eat about twice during the run. I would NOT eat candy though or anything with processed sugar. Experienced runners can tell you that's a good way to send you running to the bathroom, and you might not make it. Also don't drink coffee or excess amounts of caffeine on race day, especially if you aren't used to it. Caffeine affects bladder control and can also send you running for the bathroom. Figs are a much better option than candy, you can also try Sport Beans, Shot Blocks, gels, etc. but ideally you want to be training with the same snacks you'd eat on race day so you can learn how your body reacts to them. I know that for me, gels react poorly with my stomach, so I avoid those. I really like Clif Shot blocks. Go to a local running store and ask them for advice on other snacks. They may even have free samples you can try.

You can wear whatever belt you want for the race, you usually just need to make sure your number can face forward. Most races let you know where the water stops will be, so you can use that information to plan accordingly. Just drink extra water the day before the race, and make sure to hydrate well the entire week and you won't get dehydrated. Even if they have tons of water stops planned, I always carry my own water just in case.

As far as carb loading, you don't need to go crazy. Add 1-2 extra servings of carbs the day before, and make sure you eat a balanced breakfast at least 90 minutes before the run so you're all fueled up. I like oatmeal with blueberries and nuts, and scrambled eggs on race days.

Wear layers to the start line to stay warm, and leave items you don't need with a friend if you can. I always keep my jacket on right up until I start, but weather changes quickly, so make sure you have a hat, gloves, extra socks, etc. in your car, just in case the weather switches and you need to change. Good luck!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    kelseyhere wrote: »
    If you've ran 12.1 you can make it to 13 no problem. I only did 11 before my first half. Pacing is key to finishing, if you can pace yourself, you will be OK.

As far as snacks go, fuel up about every hour that you run. My guess is you will finish between 2-3 hours, so you probably need to eat about twice during the run. I would NOT eat candy though or anything with processed sugar. Experienced runners can tell you that's a good way to send you running to the bathroom, and you might not make it. Also don't drink coffee or excess amounts of caffeine on race day, especially if you aren't used to it. Caffeine affects bladder control and can also send you running for the bathroom. Figs are a much better option than candy, you can also try Sport Beans, Shot Blocks, gels, etc. but ideally you want to be training with the same snacks you'd eat on race day so you can learn how your body reacts to them. I know that for me, gels react poorly with my stomach, so I avoid those. I really like Clif Shot blocks. Go to a local running store and ask them for advice on other snacks. They may even have free samples you can try.

You can wear whatever belt you want for the race, you usually just need to make sure your number can face forward. Most races let you know where the water stops will be, so you can use that information to plan accordingly. Just drink extra water the day before the race, and make sure to hydrate well the entire week and you won't get dehydrated. Even if they have tons of water stops planned, I always carry my own water just in case.

As far as carb loading, you don't need to go crazy. Add 1-2 extra servings of carbs the day before, and make sure you eat a balanced breakfast at least 90 minutes before the run so you're all fueled up. I like oatmeal with blueberries and nuts, and scrambled eggs on race days.

Wear layers to the start line to stay warm, and leave items you don't need with a friend if you can. I always keep my jacket on right up until I start, but weather changes quickly, so make sure you have a hat, gloves, extra socks, etc. in your car, just in case the weather switches and you need to change. Good luck!

Great advice!
    What I've been using for fuel isn't really the most nutritious food, but it's worked well and I haven't had issues with my tummy or bladder. I'm not one of those people that needs to drink a lot while I run so I figure one of my little bottles that goes with my belt should be fine (I mean that's all I had yesterday and I was good). I fuel about every 3 miles because I need to prevent hypoglycemia (Type I diabetic on a pump). I've gotten fueling and insulin pretty much down and have been able to maintain SAFE sugars during my run-yesterday I wound up with a post run blood sugar of 95 or so which is great for me. I'm actually not terribly worried about the race aside from how many people will be all over the place.
    There's an after party with oysters, drinks, soup, etc...I'm really looking forward to it. I figure my finish time to be around 2:30 or less.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I'm running my third half this Sunday. You sound more than ready for yours.

You've already been given good advise, so nothing new to add. I will say I run with music. Always one earbud only (as how I train) with the volume low. I've had no issues hearing other runners and chatting with folks (or a buddy if I have one with me). I'm not a professional, just average female in the crowd. Stay aware and courteous and you'll be fine.

As for fueling, the week of my first half, I ate at maintenance the week before and a little extra the day before. For this one, I'm in a small deficit and will eat at maintenance two days before. I'll also have some fruit snack shortly before the race. Plus, caffeinated gum, since I can't handle coffee on race mornings. :\

I've had no issues running up to 12 miles with no water or fuel. Everyone's different, but I get an easily upset stomach on runs, so I don't carry anything. I'll get a little Gatorade and/or water at some of the aid stations. You'll be fine. Sounds like you understand your body's needs very well.

Enjoy the experience!