What you can't have!

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Nope. I just finished off a Blue Bunny caramel crunch ice cream bar for 120 cals to round off my night. I can make room for pretty much anything, and if I can't and I want it badly enough, I eat it anyway. I've developed a good relationship with my food and a good attitude about my calories and my workouts, so my body is changing in some very positive ways. The longer I plan and make room for the foods I love, the easier it gets to do it.

Wait, this sounds like an amazing food. Which I probably can't eat because of the cracker/cake part I'm assuming it has :(

There's no cracker/cake part like an ice cream sandwich...it's basically an ice cream popsicle with a caramel flavored Magic Shell coating with little crunchy bits, but I'm not sure what the crunchy bits are made of:

k2-_80b720f3-ddd3-4599-804e-4b623e8071db.v1.jpg
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Nope. I just finished off a Blue Bunny caramel crunch ice cream bar for 120 cals to round off my night. I can make room for pretty much anything, and if I can't and I want it badly enough, I eat it anyway. I've developed a good relationship with my food and a good attitude about my calories and my workouts, so my body is changing in some very positive ways. The longer I plan and make room for the foods I love, the easier it gets to do it.

Wait, this sounds like an amazing food. Which I probably can't eat because of the cracker/cake part I'm assuming it has :(

There's no cracker/cake part like an ice cream sandwich...it's basically an ice cream popsicle with a caramel flavored Magic Shell coating with little crunchy bits, but I'm not sure what the crunchy bits are made of:

k2-_80b720f3-ddd3-4599-804e-4b623e8071db.v1.jpg

OH my God, that looks yum. I went on an ice cream bar frenzy a few months ago and bought like 5 boxes of different things and still haven't finished it all. I need to go ice cream bar hunting now :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Are there any foods you've had to cut out completely and did that help your weightloss goals?
    I'm thinking I shouldn't have sugar since it tends to become the majority of my intake for the day...
    No way, I refuse to cut anything out except those foods I don't like or that I am intolerant to (soy and lactose). :smiley: Everything else is ON limits.

If sugar is the majority of your intake, why not just moderate it? I've learned how to moderate sugar, which I ate an awful lot of, and it works very well for me. Give it a try. :smile:

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    karenwill2 wrote: »
    I cut out gluten years ago as I am gluten intolerant. If I stop eating dairy, I lose about 10 lbs in a week because it makes me bloat something awful. I cut out sugar because I have a family history of diabetes and frankly, sugar has no nutritional value. I limit rice and potatoes because of my family's diabetic history. And then I lost 13lbs quickly and I am still dropping weight. Life is good and I feel good. for me, it is easier to eliminate than to reduce portion sizes.
    Do you mean you cut out refined sugar? Fruit and vegetables have sugar in them.

I have diabetes in my family as well.

I agree that some people have to eliminate instead of moderate. While everyone suggests based on their own experience, we all have to fine what works for us.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs under 100.Today I had bacon,dunkin donuts,popeye's Chicken,carrot cake and pizza!!!!!(not a usual day-Birthday celebration)..But, I still stayed under my carbs...works for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have to limit oreos. Only because I struggle not to eat half/all the package in one sitting. However, I still eat them from time to time. I've just started only buying them every couple of months.

The only foods completely out of my diet are the one's that I don't like the taste of. Other than that I try to enjoy a little bit of everything as long as they fit in my calorie goals.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've found that most things I might be tempted to overeat can be found in single-serving packages. Ice cream sandwiches and bars, 100 calorie snack-packs of nuts and chips, etc.
  • dancingwaif
    Options
    Let's see, so far, I've cut out all caloric drinks except almond milk, all bread/flour products, all fast food, all meat, dairy (except cottage cheese), potatoes, avocadoes, all desserts except dark chocolate once in a while.
    I think that's it, I may have missed something...

It's interesting seeing what everyone has cut out :)
  • CyclingBadger
    Options
    Nope you don't have to cut anything out.... not even sugar (but pure sugar in things like tea/coffee is an easy win in terms of cutting it out).

I find this calorie counting so much easier than my friend because my wife and I are foodies.... we love good food and I never eat pre-prepared foods, but rather cook everything from fresh ingrdients - I know exactly whats in my food and it tastes so much better as well. I cut out all the nasty chemicals they stuff processed foods with as a fresh cooked lasagne (as an example) doesn't need the preservatives, colourings, colour fixers, wetting agents, browning agents, emulsifiers and all the other crap they put in a pre-cooked portion of microwavable/oven cook lasagne.
    Also I can determine the size of the portion I cook rather than having a set portion size decided by the manufacturer. I can have a smaller portion and my wife (Not in need of loosing weight) can have a slightly larger slice. (I also cook extra portions and then freeze a few meals for the days I get home late from cycle club etc.)

So to answer the OP you don't HAVE to cut out anything but if you do cut anything out, try cutting out pre-processed foods - what you do cook will be far tastier and you can enjoy it much more and you can have much better control of the contents.

P.S. the internet is the ultimate cook book.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally found it helpful to cut out processed sugar and scale back on bread. I don't have a sweet-tooth, fortunately, and eliminating sugar in my coffee was an easy way to get my calorie-count down. Same with bread and other starches. As long as I have my protein and my fat, I'm good ... :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    This is going to sound positively insane...but, apples.

I can not eat an apple without bingeing afterward like an insane person.

I have NO idea why this is. I mean I can eat a dish of ice cream and not react with bingeing like I do with apples.

Wow, LAwoman, that is odd! I've never heard of anything like that, but come to think of it, I sometimes have a sugar crash after a whole mango. If I eat it with chia seeds soaked in lemon juice, though, it has a completely different effect. Supposedly the fiber modulates the insulin response.

I have given up some things, but it's probably more accurate to say I upgraded. E.g. my kids used to make their own "trail mix" so we always had m&m's in the pantry. I'm MUCH better with no junk in the house, but with 3 teenagers, I compromise for their sanity. (Want them to learn moderation. They can make a bag of m&m's last a week, all three of them, sharing. I could never have done that as a teenager.) I keep my hands off their m&m's when I have Godiva to look forward to. If I'm gonna have a treat, it better be good. Same with bread--don't eat it often but when it's exceptional I do.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and log it to fit in my macros
  • dancingwaif
    Options
    rkg2014 wrote: »
    Let's see, so far, I've cut out all caloric drinks except almond milk, all bread/flour products, all fast food, all meat, dairy (except cottage cheese), potatoes, avocadoes, all desserts except dark chocolate once in a while.
    I think that's it, I may have missed something...

It's interesting seeing what everyone has cut out :)

why would you cut all that out? I'm just curious

I find that if I just tell myself I can't have certain things, I stop wanting them. So, avoiding things entirely makes it a lot easier to stay within my goals. Plus, a lot of what I mentioned makes me feel sick (like fast food), I just don't like some things (like bread and sweets), and I would rather not drink too many calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Are there any foods you've had to cut out completely and did that help your weightloss goals?
    I'm thinking I shouldn't have sugar since it tends to become the majority of my intake for the day...

I think your bigger issue is learning how to balance your diet better.

I don't necessarily cut anything out completely...but I'm a bit more liberal with certain things in maintenance and less so while I'm cutting. In either case though, I eat a well balanced and nutritious diet.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No. I eat whatever I please so long as it fits into my calorie allotment.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut out caloric beverages. I would starve to death if I had to log drink calories! Other than the occasional glass of milk, I only drink water and unsweet tea. I don't think there is really any food I've done away with. I tend to eat less bread now. Not really doing it intentionally, just would rather "spend" the calories on something else :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope!!!!......and lost 121 pounds!!! ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    Flag away, I don't give a toss. It's the truth. Ninerbuff might have studied their particular way of doing things, but not every way of doing things, and from what I've seen has a habit of responding to people without even reading their post.

It did not take me 20 years to lose 60lbs for example. I find the constant parroting of "ITS CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THIS YOU'RE AN IDIOT" from this moderator to be both ill informed and demoralising to those who adhere strictly to calorie limits and don't lose weight.

In my opinion, to be a moderator you should be open to all ways of doing things, accepting that others MIGHT know more than you about some things from PERSONAL experience and not try and put eveyone in the same box. I bet you're only successful with the clients who do it your way, I doubt you find a solution for those who dont. In fact, I would be embarrased to supposedly have so many years of study and experience and knowledge and still be so narrow minded and ill informed on so many things.

Yes I'm mad, I'm sick to death of every time anyone posts anything on this forum that doesn't adhere to the ethos of the CICO crowd they are ridiculed and shot down or told to "go to such and such group and ask there". Yes, it's a public forum, and yes you're entitled to be as much of a bully as you like behind your keyboard, but no, you should not be a moderator.
    Sounds like your hangry!! Cookie might help with that. ;)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    Flag away, I don't give a toss. It's the truth. Ninerbuff might have studied their particular way of doing things, but not every way of doing things, and from what I've seen has a habit of responding to people without even reading their post.

It did not take me 20 years to lose 60lbs for example. I find the constant parroting of "ITS CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THIS YOU'RE AN IDIOT" from this moderator to be both ill informed and demoralising to those who adhere strictly to calorie limits and don't lose weight.

In my opinion, to be a moderator you should be open to all ways of doing things, accepting that others MIGHT know more than you about some things from PERSONAL experience and not try and put eveyone in the same box. I bet you're only successful with the clients who do it your way, I doubt you find a solution for those who dont. In fact, I would be embarrased to supposedly have so many years of study and experience and knowledge and still be so narrow minded and ill informed on so many things.

Yes I'm mad, I'm sick to death of every time anyone posts anything on this forum that doesn't adhere to the ethos of the CICO crowd they are ridiculed and shot down or told to "go to such and such group and ask there". Yes, it's a public forum, and yes you're entitled to be as much of a bully as you like behind your keyboard, but no, you should not be a moderator.

Woah. Calm down.

People are put into a the box, because 9/10 times, they fit. There will always be that 1 person in which the O in CICO needs to be adjusted (by medication or diet change). I'm one of those 1, as I have a metabolic disorder. I'm not upset when people say it's CICO, because it IS. It's just that I have to take medication and watch my carbs for my O to be like every else, and for CICO to once again, work.

I don't see anyone being ridiculed here. It's not necessary, for the average person, to cut any one food group out/down. Some people prefer to, of course. If you're not the average person, the statement obviously doesn't apply to you and wasting emotion and anger on a statement that doesn't apply to you is rather silly, isn't it?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP, no - I've not cut anything out of my diet. I try to watch my carbs, like mentioned above, but that's a medical issue for me. I'm not really a fan of restricting my diet - it would make me really sad. I don't like being sad.