Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do *you* log a holiday meal?

Replies

• JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Not even gonna bother.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Not gonna bother. If I do, I will see the total calories and feel bad so I am just going to start the day knowing I won't be logging that day and enjoy it.

I may make the day before a really light day, but other than that no other prep.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    For holiday meals I tend to over guesstimate. I also throw in a good workout in the morning.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    I feel like I am solo on this one...I honestly plan on logging all of my food and portioning it out. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are at my parents' house, so if I have the measuring utensils available I don't see how it's different than measuring out the food any other day of the year. Don't get me wrong, I am going to eat what I want. But I think mainly out of curiosity I want to see what 1/2 cup of yams and 3 oz of turkey and 1 cup of mac and cheese and all the rest look like on my plate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If we do Christmas here and we have no guests I will weigh everything too!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    I feel like I am solo on this one...I honestly plan on logging all of my food and portioning it out. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are at my parents' house, so if I have the measuring utensils available I don't see how it's different than measuring out the food any other day of the year. Don't get me wrong, I am going to eat what I want. But I think mainly out of curiosity I want to see what 1/2 cup of yams and 3 oz of turkey and 1 cup of mac and cheese and all the rest look like on my plate.

If I could, I would log accurately during holidays too so you aren't really alone.
    My problem is it's too difficult (I have a huuuge family and we always do a potluck) taking the time to measure and log everything would be a bit of a pain, especially since it's not at my place or my parents. If it was at my place then that'd be a little easier.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I log it. I don't weight my food, and most of it is estimates, but I think it is kind of interesting. Yesterday there was a thread asking whether 3,000 cals average for Thanksgiving was a myth or reality. I went back and looked at what I logged last year and it was about 2,100 on the day of Thanksgiving and about 1900 on Saturday (second round with other side of the family). I like knowing how it all adds up and being able to tell people that I ate 4,000 cals in those two meals and still lost a half pound that week last year. This year I'm maintaining so I am sure I will be closer to the 3,000 mark both times. :wink:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Eh I say forget about it!! I plan on gaining a lb.

I have a feeling too many people will be freaking out about having gained weight after thanksgiving... :s
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Thanksgiving is going to be an estimate day. I don't usually estimate, but I do want to log what I eat for tracking purposes, so I figure that' good enough for one day!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Eh I say forget about it!! I plan on gaining a lb.

I have a feeling too many people will be freaking out about having gained weight after thanksgiving... :s

At the rate I'm going I'm fully expecting to gain a couple pounds by New Year. Hopefully I'll find my motivation again after that.

• crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    I've already decide that I'll be somewhat careful of what I eat but I'm not gonna bother logging holiday meals. take a break! its the holidays!
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    I don't log those days.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    The only thing I plan on logging in that day is the milk I put in my morning coffee.

I feel like such a badass now!!! B)
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    We do a potluck style Thanksgiving dinner so accurate logging isn't possible. I plan to log breakfast then add 5,000 calories for the entire evenings delicacies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited November 2014
    It's a holiday...it's an occasion...it's not an every day event. I tried to log my first Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and said *kitten* it after about my 4th martini. Guess what...I still lost 40+ Lbs.

It's one day...enjoy...be thankful for you family and friends and all the good in your life. I'm working with a coach right now and I'm in a cut and I'm totally going to be off plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas...it's ok...I will be on plan the rest of the time, and that's what matters.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    No logging here, we plan on turkey bowl, singing and dancing to help our face stuffing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Since I usually am eating something I did not prepare, I estimate. If you've being weighing your food regularly and have a good idea of serving sizes, you can do a decent job of estimating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/The_Enginerd?date=2013-11-28
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I don't. It's a holiday, so I enjoy myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Of big holiday meals since I started this, I logged Easter dinner because I cooked most of it, and my 4th of July meal, since it was largely "bring your own meat to be grilled" with some easy sides to estimate. A friend of mine does a Thanksgiving on Labor Day event and I estimated calories for that (a quick add). This year I'm going to a big Thanksgiving potluck and only bringing a couple of dishes, so logging will be basically impossible to do accurately, and is the kind of logging that's a huge pain anyway. Therefore, I think I'm going to just not log at all. It's one day and I trust myself enough not to worry about it.

I'll probably do most of the cooking on Christmas, but I imagine I won't bother logging that either, unless I want a different kind of record of the menu.
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    If I'm having a big meal I still log it as normal but not fret too much. As I'm losing an average of 2lbs a week, I figure even if I go over by 3,500 calories, it's just one day and I'll just lose 1lbs that week instead of 2lbs. (Based on 1lb being worth 3,500 cals)

Just chillax and enjoy.