How do *you* log a holiday meal?

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I initially posted this just out of curiosity (I thought), but apparently the thought of not logging had me feeling guilty. I appreciate all the comments. I think I'll take the day off and just enjoy being with my family.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Since I usually am eating something I did not prepare, I estimate. If you've being weighing your food regularly and have a good idea of serving sizes, you can do a decent job of estimating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/The_Enginerd?date=2013-11-28

You know, I keep seeing people estimating dinner rolls at less than 100 calories and I find it hilarious. Otherwise, yeah, that's pretty much what you have to do (that looked like a nice day, lol).
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging Christmas like any other day, while being aware that I will almost certainly go over my calories but being Ok with that, it's only one day and I don't mind the indulgence at Christmas; I wouldn't want to not log at all though as I like logging as close to 100% accuracy as I can get, but that's just my preference. It's cool if you don't want to bother logging, in the grand scheme of things it's not really going to matter, and it's better not to stress about it if it's already going to be a bit of a hectic day for you. Eat, and enjoy. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I always say I'll just log 2500 and call it a day but curiosity always gets the best of me LOL. So I just try to remember what I eat and estimate it. I like having an idea of what kind of weight fluctuation I can expect every month so I like being more accurate.

I'll definitely try to go to the gym in the morning though.

^this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Eh I say forget about it!! I plan on gaining a lb.

I have a feeling too many people will be freaking out about having gained weight after thanksgiving... :s

At the rate I'm going I'm fully expecting to gain a couple pounds by New Year. Hopefully I'll find my motivation again after that.

I've found that telling myself ahead of time that I will allow myself to eat anything I want on each actual holiday keeps me more focused on all the other days of the season. I have not gained weight during the holidays since being on MFP for two holiday seasons, and now that I'm thinking of it in the past I did not gain during that time either.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Logging will just depress me, lol. I will probably skip but we'll see.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Since I usually am eating something I did not prepare, I estimate. If you've being weighing your food regularly and have a good idea of serving sizes, you can do a decent job of estimating.

You know, I keep seeing people estimating dinner rolls at less than 100 calories and I find it hilarious. Otherwise, yeah, that's pretty much what you have to do (that looked like a nice day, lol).

It does depend on the type of dinner roll. The flaky kind, no way! But ones like these are under 100 calories each: kingshawaiian.com/products/rolls-12-pack/#nutrition

(and indeed it was :wink: )
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I always have to have the same dinner rolls at thanksgiving. The ones piled high in racks at the supermarket that just look like white pale raw dinner rolls that you stick in the oven to brown. Unsure what they are called but I can taste them now. With butter. I grew up on these and although the way I'm describing them they might sound sad and low budget to me they are the epitome of thanksgiving dinner rolls and I want one now. Pretty sure they don't have 100 calories once I slather that butter but prior to that they are kind of small so who knows?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I initially posted this just out of curiosity (I thought), but apparently the thought of not logging had me feeling guilty. I appreciate all the comments. I think I'll take the day off and just enjoy being with my family.

^ The winner !
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

It does depend on the type of dinner roll. The flaky kind, no way! But ones like these are under 100 calories each: kingshawaiian.com/products/rolls-12-pack/#nutrition

(and indeed it was :wink: )

Mmm - that's what we use. The leftover turkey/mashed potato/gravy sandwiches on those babies the next day are the best ever.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't bother for one day. Enjoy life is to short.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Usually after 3000-4000 calories I give up. LOL :p
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Quick add a 5000 calorie day, and that's probably being overly kind... I love pie!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Last year, I weighed and logged everything. My family didn't give me a hard time about it, they knew I was trying to lose weight. At the same time I wasn't restricting my portions severely so they weren't concerned and they didn't feel judged by my choice to "diet". I enjoyed every bite and ate my tdee those days.

I've lost 53lbs on MFP by weighing my food. This year I won't weigh at holiday meals. I'm close to my goal and honestly at some point you have to ease up and stop counting. My choices tend to be healthy and I don't eat the junk before and after the meal. One salad won't make you skinny, and neither will one family meal make you fat again. :D
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to bother. I'm also doing all of the cooking. After busting my *kitten* for 2 days making pies, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, 2 kinds of potatoes and cleaning my house for guests I figure I'll have damn well earned a few slices of pie and not tracking.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I plan to weigh and estimate - kind of a combo. Things that are easy like turkey or veggies not a problem on the weighing but with things like the dressing for the turkey - I will weigh and try to find something that feels similar to use as an estimate. Luckily we are doing Thanksgiving here so it will be a lot easier. For Christmas it will be all estimate since that is at a relatives house. I am less concerned about Christmas because I usually have one "bad" day a month that I have to estimate, but I was bad yesterday for my birthday so I want to do a bit better for Thanksgiving.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-americas-choice-dinner-rolls-i284300
    americas-choice-dinner-rolls-180515.jpg
    these are the dinner rolls I eat, or something like them in with a different label. they are 100 calories. but then I put butter on them so...yeah.

I HAVE TO HAVE THESE KINDS OF CHEAP AZZ DINNER ROLLS OR IT'S NOT THANKSGIVING!!!

Just in case my husband's reading.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-americas-choice-dinner-rolls-i284300
    americas-choice-dinner-rolls-180515.jpg
    these are the dinner rolls I eat, or something like them in with a different label. they are 100 calories. but then I put butter on them so...yeah.

I HAVE TO HAVE THESE KINDS OF CHEAP AZZ DINNER ROLLS OR IT'S NOT THANKSGIVING!!!

Just in case my husband's reading.

This is how I feel about squirt cheese. I know it's disgusting and not really fit for human consumption, but I must have it on Thanksgiving. Must.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I will not log my holiday meals. As others have stated, it's one day/meal. Besides, I make all of my dishes from scratch and will not bother to account for each ingredient of each dish.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't log those meals either, go for a walk in the morning and enjoy the day :)