Started Gluten free diet and all the bread are soooooooo fat

Options

Replies

• lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My doc dodn't recomand GF bbecause of my diet, but because of othe medical issues. I am also lactos inttolerance.
    i was dieting before GF, but the GF products are twice as much clories in bread and energy bar- that is my problem/
    - if i make my own bread hard to follow how many callories.
    -the help i need is to find breakfast and food can be taken out of the house without gluten that will help me follow 1400 callories diet
    thanks
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Easy answer. I just don't eat gluten-free bread.

Its generally not great in taste or texture and the pieces are so tiny anyways. But then I'm also allergic to eggs and milk so I'm looking at vegan, gluten-free bread. Carbs aren't bad for you unless you have a medical reason to avoid them and there is no rule that breakfasts must contain carbs like bread or cereal. Instead I eat a hash brown patty (carbs/fat) and turkey sausage (protein) for breakfast during the work week because I can stick them in the oven while I shower and I can eat them on the bus. I've been known to eat steamed veggies for breakfast too when I have more time.

Other suggestions for breakfasts that are GF: hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs (make in advance), gluten free egg burritos, muffins, plain hotdog or turkey pepperoni (there are GF/LF kinds), nuts, 1 Tbsp hemp hearts, millet grits, puree soups in a travel mug, dried coconut chips, dates, fresh fruit and the list goes on. Breakfast is just a meal that breaks your fast. It can be anything! :D

And for your bread: use the recipe builder to get the calorie value for the loaf. Weigh the loaf. Divide the calories by the grams in the loaf. Weigh each slice and multiply the weight by the value of calories per gram. Easier than trying to get X number of uniform slices.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My house is gluten free since my husband and daughter are allergic to wheat. We use corn tortillas which are 23 calories each. I actually do not like any of the store bought breads unless I make into french toast for my daughter with Udi's but the bread makes horrible anything else. Breakfast is eggs and veggies, or omelets or smoothies. She does like the gluten free waffles so that might be an option. The Ancient Grain Pasta with quinoa and amaranth is the best. I can make her a tuna macaroni past salad with hard boiled egg etc for a thermos lunch and store for 3 days if I do not eat it. I have oodles of recipes and ideas we been in this situation now for several years.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you MUST eat bread, Canyon Bakehouse tastes a lot better than most GF products. But - as has been said before..... there is so little actual nutrition in these substitutes. Check the labels and you will see what I mean. Good luck, OP!
  • kencollins812
    kencollins812 Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In England the bread here seems to be genetically designed to make your *kitten* huge.
    I don't eat it anymore either and I don't have Celiac's Disease.

Yes I miss the Tesco Tiger Bread, slathered in butter with chunks of ham. But I know it just adds to the fat so it's off the menu.
  • LouLouBeans
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant, confirmed by blood tests. I can eat it, but have pretty nasty reactions. There are not many GF products that I enjoy, but corn tortillas and corn pasta are awesome, if you can find them. As far as breakfast, I always go for fruit, especially bananas. Gives me plenty of energy and easy to take on the go.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    When I eat bread (only a few times per week) I will only eat Kinnikinnick, most gluten free breads taste terrible! I buy it frozen and defrost 2 slices in the microwave. It's even okay untoasted.

Kinnikinnick soft white bread:
    2 Slices (57g)/
    Calories / Calories 140
    Fat / Lipides 4.00 g
    Saturated / Saturé 1.00 g
    Carbohydrate / Glucides 24g
    Fibre / Fibres 5g 2
    Sugars / Sucres 1g
    Protein / Protéines 2g
  • dancingmanatee
    dancingmanatee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try looking into paleo. All their recipes are naturally gluten free because they don't eat grains. Then you don't have to worry about stuff like bread substitutes.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat allergy, so I eat Udi's bread and Paleo bread. I don't consider them fattening.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In England the bread here seems to be genetically designed to make your *kitten* huge.
    I don't eat it anymore either and I don't have Celiac's Disease.

Yes I miss the Tesco Tiger Bread, slathered in butter with chunks of ham. But I know it just adds to the fat so it's off the menu.

Yeah it's obviously the breads fault.... :wtf:
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am sick to death of people saying GF is only necessary for diagnosed Celiacs.

Ed: cos reread quote but last statement stands.
  • mikatoofly
    mikatoofly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too am gluten free I love udi's 140 cals for 2 slices. I also do corn tortillas 2 for 100 cals. Tortillas great for breakfast burritos eggs pepper sausage salsa.
  • lili200
    Options
    Strange! I have udi, I remember it is much more calories ( should check!) also hard to find whole grain!
    And of course: no more beer...
  • lili200
    Options
    I will be happy if the gluten free eater and anyone else would add me as freind ( donno why can't do it on my phone?)
  • lili200
    Options
    /Anabirgite, will you share of the things you make or book you use?
    I am 6 weeks without gluten and it is good for me. But taking food outside of home is not easy. I will look into paleo.
    I hate it that most of gf food contain things I haven't touch for years,and usually not whole grain.
    I live fine without any cake. Just hate feeling hunger out of the house
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I know you're looking for GF breakfast ideas, but I thought this may be of interest to you. My mom is gluten-sensitive (no Celiacs). I've made her several of the GF pastas, and the one that's closest to the "real" thing is Ronzoni's. She didn't like Barilla at all. It was primarily corn, while Ronzoni is made with corn and rice. The rice seems to make a big difference both in taste and texture. Hope this info was useful. Good luck!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Gluten free bread tastes awful, avoid it like the plague. If you insist on eating gluten free stick with the grains themselves. Learn to cook rice, millet, quinoa, amaranth and oats. Oh, and there is a brand of pasta that I am fond of. It is the Tinkyada brand.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    lili200 wrote: »
    My doc dodn't recomand GF bbecause of my diet, but because of othe medical issues. I am also lactos inttolerance.
    i was dieting before GF, but the GF products are twice as much clories in bread and energy bar- that is my problem/
    - if i make my own bread hard to follow how many callories.
    -the help i need is to find breakfast and food can be taken out of the house without gluten that will help me follow 1400 callories diet
    thanks

Breakfast options to cook in the morning or prepare the night before:
    rice or quinoa pilaf, chicken, small steak, canned pumpkin w/ chia, sweet potatoes with almonds, refried beans with salsa, . . .
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lili200 wrote: »
    I was told by ,y doctor to stop gluten, wasn't fashnable thing... jvs- so what carbs do you eat at breakfast if may I ask?
    - I easyly finish my 1400 calories diet with current gluten free diet- thats the problem .

Can you post in complete sentences with functional spelling and grammar so that we can understand you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Proteins, Vegetables, Fruits, Oats (possibly), Gluten free flours, Xanthan Gum, dairy, eggs

loads of stuff without gluten that is not 'fat'

what are you eating that you can't manage GF?