Why I'm considering staying "overweight"

Options
Happymelz
Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
Today I'm wearing a pair of size 8 skinny jeans that I've gotten several compliments on. (From people whose opinion I trust. ;) )

During my journey I've overcome my emotional eating and have learned to eat only when hungry (for the most part.)

I love the way I look, I love the way I feel, and my hubby does too!

Even though I'm 6 lbs above my original goal weight and technically 4 lbs over weight according to my BMI I am so happy where I am at that I may just try to maintain here.

I mean...what does BMI look at anyway?

It doesn't take into account my curves which I don't want to lose.

All I know is that for the first time in 20 years I am happy with my body.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're in a good and happy place :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If you're happy be happy. I don't like the BMI index myself because it is just a guide and doesn't take into consideration other factors, such as more muscular people. A size 8 is not a really large size in my opinion depending on your height and if you like yourself where you are and so does your significant other, who else is there to please? The only other concern would be your overall health. If your doctor thinks your healthy where you are, then you have no concerns.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel good, there is nothing wrong with that. The BMI chart is just a guideline based on a population of people. It doesn't fit everyone. When I gave my weight loss goal to my doctor, she actually upped it by 5 lbs, she reminded me I may have extra/loose skin and technically I would be a bit above my recommended BMI. I think I'm going to go by how I look and feel too- so I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

Also, Penn and Teller did a great piece on their show *kitten* about BMI.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    As long as you feel good, there is nothing wrong with that. The BMI chart is just a guideline based on a population of people. It doesn't fit everyone. When I gave my weight loss goal to my doctor, she actually upped it by 5 lbs, she reminded me I may have extra/loose skin and technically I would be a bit above my recommended BMI. I think I'm going to go by how I look and feel too- so I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

Now this is very interesting. Do you think skin weighs more if it doesn't "shrink" when we lose weight? I'm curious how much extra skin would weigh because I'll definitely have some sagging and bagging when I'm done losing. Hmmmm.... should I take that into consideration when determining if I'm at "goal"? Not sure yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Happymelz wrote: »
    Today I'm wearing a pair of size 8 skinny jeans that I've gotten several compliments on. (From people whose opinion I trust. ;) )

During my journey I've overcome my emotional eating and have learned to eat only when hungry (for the most part.)

I love the way I look, I love the way I feel, and my hubby does too!

Even though I'm 6 lbs above my original goal weight and technically 4 lbs over weight according to my BMI I am so happy where I am at that I may just try to maintain here.

All I know is that for the first time in 20 years I am happy with my body.

I did similarly when I went to maintenance. I was actually at my goal weight and at a healthy BF% but over-weight by BMI standards. I was pretty happy with where I was though and went into maintenance.

That was about 18 months or so ago and I've been maintaining for the most part without logging and just being mindful about what I'm doing. It was a good break for me too and I believe a very valuable experience overall...and one that has ultimately led to my most recent decision to cut again.

This time is a little different though...I'm really not worried about the number on the scale...I have some fitness goals and aspirations for which I have decided to work with a coach to achieve and to achieve these things I will need to be a bit leaner. It feels good though and I'm ready again. If I would have tried this a mere 3 months ago I would have "fallen off the wagon" pretty much immediately.

All this to say, go for it...be happy...and keep your mind open to other eventual possibilities. You may find that you're happy forever right where you are...or you might find that the pursuit of other goals and aspirations will have you back at it. Either way, good luck.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If you are happy and healthy, then you should go with that. Your weight will likely fluctuate 4 lbs up and down anyway.

BMI is just one general health marker, not the final word on health. But, the above part of your post is not true. Accounting for differing body types and frames is why the BMI range for any given height is so large.
  • Secrease
    Secrease Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :) If you are happy with your body and who you are...don't change. Sounds like you have done well with the weight loss you have had. Maintain what you have and be happy
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I realized how bizarre the idea of BMI is when I realized that most NFL players are obese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Unless you're in a competition, you SHOULD choose how you want to look and feel. No need to fall to the pressures that society puts on weight and body types. The main thing is to make sure that the weight you're at is healthy and not disturbing you from performing everyday activities.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I realized how bizarre the idea of BMI is when I realized that most NFL players are obese.

A good many NFL players are overly fat.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you mentioned the BMI thing. According to mine I'm very overweight (I'm 5'7 and weigh 174 pounds), but this morning I slipped easily into a size 8 skirt from J Crew. Screw the BMI!
  • bmele0
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »

Now this is very interesting. Do you think skin weighs more if it doesn't "shrink" when we lose weight? I'm curious how much extra skin would weigh because I'll definitely have some sagging and bagging when I'm done losing. Hmmmm.... should I take that into consideration when determining if I'm at "goal"? Not sure yet.

Everyone is different! Your genetics, age, how big you were, how much muscle you have, and so on and so on can impact how much skin you might have. I think my doctor was trying to prepare me for the fact I may have quite a bit of excess skin. I read some people's skin gets better after a year or so, and others have surgery to have it removed. My doctor did mention surgery briefly too. I think my plan is to see what it looks like in a year and to do strength training to sort of help fill some of it in.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm glad you mentioned the BMI thing. According to mine I'm very overweight (I'm 5'7 and weigh 174 pounds), but this morning I slipped easily into a size 8 skirt from J Crew. Screw the BMI!

I'm 5' 5 1/2" and 157 as of today and wearing size 8 Anne Taylor jeans!
    I'm also a 34 D and have a nice rear (sorry, tmi. lol.)
    *Creepy dudes, don't message me.

Also, my health is fine for those who mentioned it. I have regular blood pressure and cholesterol is where it should be, and that was the same 11 lbs ago.

I actually lost down to 142 a few years ago. Looked fine, but not right emotionally.
    Currently, I feel like I have the entire package!

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    It's all about the body fat percentage, screw the BMI!
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I have always felt that we know ourselves better than anyone and we should decide when we have reached a good stopping place.
  • bmele0
    Options

Also, my health is fine for those who mentioned it. I have regular blood pressure and cholesterol is where it should be, and that was the same 11 lbs ago.

I actually lost down to 142 a few years ago. Looked fine, but not right emotionally.
    Currently, I feel like I have the entire package!

I still have another 45 lbs or so to go and I just had my blood tests come back- cholesterol all in healthy range, fantastic blood pressure, etc. I'm no longer at risk for diabetes. I'm as healthy as a horse right now. It's amazing even with the additional pounds still left.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a number. All that matters is how you feel and how your clothes fit.

I'm your height. Size 8 is my "dream" number. I would consider myself at a healthy, happy and basically acceptable (but not ideal) weight at 180. 160 would be VERY skinny for me and I'd have to accept some muscle loss. You may be more curvy than me; I have more muscle than most women. We are all different and can't be reduced to one number or ratio.

Congrats on your loss and most importantly on being happy with how you look and feel!
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just hit the top of the BMI range for being within "normal weight" and am a size 12. Funny how much sizes vary depending on where you carry it (in my case, by butt and thighs). I probably have 20 lbs to go to hit an 8. Sigh.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Great outlook and perspective. We are all chasing numbers, but how empowering is it when you realize the number doesn't define you! Great work, great results, enjoy it!
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »

My ex-mother in law had surgery to remove her excess skin after losing about 150 lbs. They took off 12 lbs of excess skin. It really just depends on the person.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!