Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Personally... I am quite capable of holding my daughters hand or putting her on my hip/back if I'm worried about safety. she's also quit capable of sitting in a buggy(willing or not) if needed and if I tell her to stand right there so that I can see her, she stays 90% of the time and if she starts to move out of my safe range I correct her. Granted, I have one child. I don't want to "unleash" a misbehaving, snot of a child on the world, therefore to the best of my ability, she is not one... and doesn't need a harness.. I would much rather talk to her and teach her and use my sense of responsibility and parenting to control her. She's four years old and this has never been an issue, yes she has attitude and likes to test her limits some times, but that's what kids do and as a parent, I show her what those limits are and correct her.

(to those who's children are not a typical case do to medical/genetic conditions- please don't take this as a cut g deal!on you. And please continue to keep your child safe. <3 )
    (To those who are raising bratty kids with no self control and no sense of what authority or respect or limits are... I feel no pity for you..I feel sorry for the world you're children will eventually be unleashed on)
    Just my unprofessional, personal opinion as always ~ Josi
    Well, she's four. She is old enough to be reasoned with. Big deal.

And what, you think she popped out as a four year old? What they're taught as babies and toddlers is the foundation for their behavior. she's been old enough to be reasoned with and taught for years... nature doesn't just say *poof* she's four, time to be reasonable!

EDIT:Corrected quotes boxes because it annoyed me..
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Laughing hysterically at the "I'm a better parent than you" attitude. I hope for your sakes that if you have another child they don't show you just how incredibly different 2 kids raised the same way by the same people can be. I hope for your kids sakes that you just don't have a 2nd child at all. You are far too clueless.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Personally... I am quite capable of holding my daughters hand or putting her on my hip/back if I'm worried about safety. she's also quit capable of sitting in a buggy(willing or not) if needed and if I tell her to stand right there so that I can see her, she stays 90% of the time and if she starts to move out of my safe range I correct her. Granted, I have one child. I don't want to "unleash" a misbehaving, snot of a child on the world, therefore to the best of my ability, she is not one... and doesn't need a harness.. I would much rather talk to her and teach her and use my sense of responsibility and parenting to control her. She's four years old and this has never been an issue, yes she has attitude and likes to test her limits some times, but that's what kids do and as a parent, I show her what those limits are and correct her.

(to those who's children are not a typical case do to medical/genetic conditions- please don't take this as a cut g deal!on you. And please continue to keep your child safe. <3 )
    (To those who are raising bratty kids with no self control and no sense of what authority or respect or limits are... I feel no pity for you..I feel sorry for the world you're children will eventually be unleashed on)

And what, you think she popped out as a four year old? What they're taught as babies and toddlers is the foundation for their behavior. she's been old enough to be reasoned with and taught for years... nature doesn't just say *poof* she's four, time to be reasonable!

I have a feeling you don't spend any time traveling or doing activities which require extra precautions while dealing with a 2 or three year old child. I suspect you've spent the majority of her toddlerhood at home, out of crowds, really not doing anything interesting enough for her to care about running off. It's things like amusement parks, zoos, hiking and traveling that usually require something like a leash. Not grocery stores, the mall or your local park. And of course you can try to talk to and discipline a two year old until you are blue in the face; they are too young to reason with, not 'bratty.'
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Laughing hysterically at the "I'm a better parent than you" attitude. I hope for your sakes that if you have another child they don't show you just how incredibly different 2 kids raised the same way by the same people can be. I hope for your kids sakes that you just don't have a 2nd child at all. You are far too clueless.

:heart:

My mom has 3 kids--myself and 2 brothers. All of us were EXTREMELY different children.

I also hate the "my kid would NEVER do that." Yeah...well...some of you people would be surprised at just what your little angels are capable of. I have a friend who is very much against "leashes" for children, yet I do recall saving her kid from being hit by a car because she bolted into a busy parking lot. Even "normal" kids sometimes make a run for it, for no reason (to us, at least, there's no reason).

Wait 'til your kids are teenagers. "My darlings would NEVER smoke pot!" Good luck with that. :laugh:
  • JosieRawr
    Options

I have a feeling you don't spend any time traveling or doing activities which require extra precautions while dealing with a 2 or three year old child. I suspect you've spent the majority of her toddlerhood at home, out of crowds, really not doing anything interesting enough for her to care about running off. It's things like amusement parks, zoos, hiking and traveling that usually require something like a leash. Not grocery stores, the mall or your local park. And of course you can try to talk to and discipline a two year old until you are blue in the face; they are too young to reason with, not 'bratty.'

You assume a lot! And you'd be wrong, not that you care, and no, two year olds are not too young to reason with, but you keep telling yourself what ever helps you sleep better at night! I don't need a leash to keep my daughter safe, that's why my eyes watch her and my hand holds hers*when needed*. She's my child, not a pet that I don't really want to deal with but want to keep in range. And I agree Amusement parks, water parks, pools(she's such a water baby, she loves to swim n "dive" taught her to swim last summer@3yrs), hiking, walking around town and traveling do require more attention, but where else would her father n I have our attention on a family outing?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

^^^^This.

Plus, you have one child. I only have one (she's 3) but I have my niece frequently. It's a whole heck of a lot easier to keep my three year old in a cart or carry her if I don't also have an infant.

When I go to the grocery store with just my daughter, not need to use a harness. With my niece -- yep, I do. She can walk and explore (GOD FORBID YOUR CHILD EXPERIENCE THE WORLD WITHOUT YOUR CONSTANT SUPERVISION), I have my hands freer to push a cart with my niece and shop.

When we are in ANY situation where there are large crowds - it is used. Whoever wants to think I'm a horrible, neglectful parent can I'll just be here, unapologetically, not giving a crap.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    where else would her father n I have our attention on a family outing?

Oh, I don't know...surveying danger? Especially when hiking.

Is it so wrong for a child to want to explore, too, without holding your hand? Try holding someone who is more than twice your height's hand and see how your arm feels by the end of that. Some kids it might not bother, but others it will.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

My sister and I were both "leashed" when on trips or in crowded places. That was 30 years ago. Don't tell me previous generations didn't do it either , cause my Grandmother had 5 boys and when they walked to town, she tied a rope through all their belt loops so they didn't wander off.

Just cause you wouldn't do something, doesn't give you the right to criticize someone else because they believe it is right in their situation.

I agree, I'm 58 years old and I remember as a very young child, seeing a parent with a harness on her child. That was over 50 years ago. I'm all for a parent using a harness for a child. Instead of making them a bad parent, I believe it makes the parent a very good parent for caring enough about the child to keep him/her safe.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options

You assume a lot! And you'd be wrong, not that you care, and no, two year olds are not too young to reason with, but you keep telling yourself what ever helps you sleep better at night! I don't need a leash to keep my daughter safe, that's why my eyes watch her and my hand holds hers*when needed*. She's my child, not a pet that I don't really want to deal with but want to keep in range. And I agree Amusement parks, water parks, pools(she's such a water baby, she loves to swim n "dive" taught her to swim last summer@3yrs), hiking, walking around town and traveling do require more attention, but where else would her father n I have our attention on a family outing?

I suppose that's fair enough when you only have one. I wouldn't say I don't care, otherwise I wouldn't be so offended by your own initial assumptions. Just love to know what you're feelings are if you happen to someday squeeze out a kid who is hell on wheels like my firstborn:) It is insulting to say he was bratty. It's unfair and untrue. He just loved to be in the mix; a little too much for his own safety. Though, I still think you're asking waaaay too much of a two year old ;)
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    We handle this issue with a tool called "The blind hand of justice". When walking, driving or going anywhere if the heathens start not listening or acting correctly I blindly flail my hands towards the general direction of the children in question and the sound. I don't always get the right one, but I do get the slowest one and the one not paying attention. As time went on, they all learned to be on their toes and paying attention to their surroundings and to me.

Now, all I have to do is to say "Do not make me unsheathe the blind hand of justice" and they sort themselves out. Only problem is, the oldest has learned the little ones don't move as fast, so he jumps behind them to use them as a sibling shield. I think with him, it's time to move from "The blind hand of justice" may need to turn into "Dad's aimed paintball of justice"...
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    Lol@ the posts responding to mine. I didn't target any person, nor did I claim everyone's child is a brat. It would seem to me, there are some guilty consciouses to be taking my post as if it were targeting you or as if I'm personally judging you. While you can take it upon yourself to judge me and assume what ever you like, my daughter remains safe, adventurous and happy, with out the leash and really, having them on a leash doesn't mean you're not suppose to watch your kid, that drives me insane, yes they cant get too far from you, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them as if they're 100% safe just because they're leashed.
    I have four sisters and we were not leashed and my mom has 10 grand kids(three of whom are 4, total range 13years to 3months), I have babysat, watched, taken to stores, parks, movies, special events, walks, public pools anywhere between 1-3 extra kids at a time and not lost any of them. It has required me chasing after one or another of them occasionally, but that's what guardians or parents are for, I don't need a leash to control them!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    We handle this issue with a tool called "The blind hand of justice". When walking, driving or going anywhere if the heathens start not listening or acting correctly I blindly flail my hands towards the general direction of the children in question and the sound. I don't always get the right one, but I do get the slowest one and the one not paying attention. As time went on, they all learned to be on their toes and paying attention to their surroundings and to me.

Now, all I have to do is to say "Do not make me unsheathe the blind hand of justice" and they sort themselves out. Only problem is, the oldest has learned the little ones don't move as fast, so he jumps behind them to use them as a sibling shield. I think with him, it's time to move from "The blind hand of justice" may need to turn into "Dad's aimed paintball of justice"...
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: best post yet
  • JosieRawr
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: best post yet

lol
  • rextcat
    Options
    Lol@ the posts responding to mine. I didn't target any person, nor did I claim everyone's child is a brat. It would seem to me, there are some guilty consciouses to be taking my post as if it were targeting you or as if I'm personally judging you. While you can take it upon yourself to judge me and assume what ever you like, my daughter remains safe, adventurous and happy, with out the leash and really, having them on a leash doesn't mean you're not suppose to watch your kid, that drives me insane, yes they cant get too far from you, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them as if they're 100% safe just because they're leashed.
    I have four sisters and we were not leashed and my mom has 10 grand kids(three of whom are 4, total range 13years to 3months), I have babysat, watched, taken to stores, parks, movies, special events, walks, public pools anywhere between 1-3 extra kids at a time and not lost any of them. It has required me chasing after one or another of them occasionally, but that's what guardians or parents are for, I don't need a leash to control them!

um...no but you did say it about most of us
    Just my unprofessional, personal opinion as always ~ Josie

:devil: and dont worry one of mine will find yours.......mmmmwwwahahahah:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

The excuses people make when they allow their children to grow into brats;
    alll children arent the same (true but they are little sponges who crave structure)
    all childrent dont respond to comands (they wont if you just decide to try it out of the blue, or when in public and not at home)
    that's what children do they are curious (all children not just yours, yet others are kept safe without a leash and behave)
    1-2yr olds dont listen (ahh yes they do!)
    my kid dont want anyone to hold his hand (who's the parent again?)

how will they learn if you give up and just say "ok you don't want to behave and let me hold your hand, ok ima leash you, it's easier" lol
  • JosieRawr
    Options

:devil: and dont worry one of mine will find yours.......mmmmwwwahahahah:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Did I? or did you? I made no claim to the amount of people raising brats... I made a note To those who are, if that's not you then I wasn't directing that statement at you, you chose to take it as aimed at yours. Interesting how that works hm?
  • JosieRawr
    Options

The excuses people make when they allow their children to grow into brats;
    alll children arent the same (true but they are little sponges who crave structure)
    all childrent dont respond to comands (they wont if you just decide to try it out of the blue, or when in public and not at home)
    that's what children do they are curious (all children not just yours, yet others are kept safe without a leash and behave)
    1-2yr olds dont listen (ahh yes they do!)
    my kid dont want anyone to hold his hand (who's the parent again?)

how will they learn if you give up and just say "ok you don't want to behave and let me hold your hand, ok ima leash you, it's easier" lol

Exactly <3
  • rextcat
    Options

Did I? or did you? I made no claim to the amount of people raising brats... I made a note To those who are, if that's not you then I wasn't directing that statement at you, you chose to take it as aimed at yours. Interesting how that works hm?
    no you implied that those of us that use them and do not have disabled children are raising brats oh and
    sarcazim is aparently lost on you hm??
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Do you people realize how stupid you sound?

"You sound like you have a guilty conscience"? What kind of insipid point is that? If someone disagrees with you they have a "guilty conscience"? Then I guess you must also have a guilty conscience about letting your kid run wild, into danger, and out of sight.

"You can tell a 1-2yr old what to do." Yes, you sure can. And sometimes they will even listen. And sometimes they won't.

"MY child would never..." Where's that *laughing hysterically* smilie?

"All you have to do is..." *insert laughing hysterically smilie here too*

"If you watched your child you wouldn't have to..." Seriously? Easy to say when you have 1 child. Bill Cosby has a great stand up comedy bit about parents of 1 child. Watch it.
    I have babysat, watched, taken to stores, parks, movies, special events, walks, public pools anywhere between 1-3 extra kids at a time and not lost any of them. It has required me chasing after one or another of them occasionally, but that's what guardians or parents are for, I don't need a leash to control them!
    I hope you aren't as stupid as you sound here. You OBVIOUSLY need SOMETHING to help control the other kids. You try to make your point about how perfect a parent you are then say that you have taken 2-4 kids to a public pool, event, etc and had to chase after 1 of them occasionally. Hey, where were the other 1-3 kids while you were chasing that one who ran off? If you really think telling someone you are better than them because you left 1-3 kids alone in public, possibly even in a pool, while you ran after another you have a pretty warped view of what makes someone a good parent. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the idea that you are a good parent because you have not lost any of them yet.
  • rextcat
    Options
    Do you people realize how stupid you sound?

"You sound like you have a guilty conscience"? What kind of insipid point is that? If someone disagrees with you they have a "guilty conscience"? Then I guess you must also have a guilty conscience about letting your kid run wild, into danger, and out of sight.

"You can tell a 1-2yr old what to do." Yes, you sure can. And sometimes they will even listen. And sometimes they won't.

"MY child would never..." Where's that *laughing hysterically* smilie?

"All you have to do is..." *insert laughing hysterically smilie here too*

"If you watched your child you wouldn't have to..." Seriously? Easy to say when you have 1 child. Bill Cosby has a great stand up comedy bit about parents of 1 child. Watch it.
    I have babysat, watched, taken to stores, parks, movies, special events, walks, public pools anywhere between 1-3 extra kids at a time and not lost any of them. It has required me chasing after one or another of them occasionally, but that's what guardians or parents are for, I don't need a leash to control them!
    I hope you aren't as stupid as you sound here. You OBVIOUSLY need SOMETHING to help control the other kids. You try to make your point about how perfect a parent you are then say that you have taken 2-4 kids to a public pool, event, etc and had to chase after 1 of them occasionally. Hey, where were the other 1-3 kids while you were chasing that one who ran off? If you really think telling someone you are better than them because you left 1-3 kids alone in public, possibly even in a pool, while you ran after another you have a pretty warped view of what makes someone a good parent. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the idea that you are a good parent because you have not lost any of them yet.

*AMEN*