Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We have a monkey 'leash' that we used once at the state fair. I would not hesitate to use it again. It was a great peace of mind tool, knowing that my kid with special needs wouldn't be able to wrangle out of his stroller or from our grip.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any of the "perfect" parents have ever used a playpen or a stair gate, or how about a safety plug? Pretty much the same idea as a harness which for the record is the only one of those things I have ever used.
  • innocentangel
    Options
    yea u raised one child, easy to hold their hand. i have 3... different ball game
  • metallicaspirit81
    metallicaspirit81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My daughter and son are very close in age, so when my son was born my mother convinced me to get one for taking them to the zoo and such.
    I used it once, at the zoo. That was it.

It really wasn't that much more convenient, and she was unhappy. That was money NOT well spent at Target.

My mom convinced me to get one for my daughter as well when we went to the zoo. And that was the only time we used it. My daughter has ADHD so at the time it did come in handy because she was young and we had not had her tested for the ADHD. Personally I didn't like using it and she didn't like being on it so we found other ways around it.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any of the "perfect" parents have ever used a playpen or a stair gate, or how about a safety plug? Pretty much the same idea as a harness which for the record is the only one of those things I have ever used.

I say do away with cribs. Cages are for animals, not babies.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I dont bother with the leash. I just duct tape them to the nearest tree.
    Finally, the voice of reason chimes in.
  • vsowell86
    vsowell86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and I would not put them on a leash for any reason. I don't think it is right.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    lol i left for a couple hours and checked back on this thread.
    amazing how vile people can be and this is just over leashing a kid.
    its funny
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I hate this argument. I haven't used one yet, but if we were to go someplace like Disney or even a fair or local amusement park I would consider it. Toddlers don't have the brain development to not act impulsively and it takes half a second for them to disappear into a crowd. What if I told her to hold onto the carriage while I got something out of the diaper bag for the baby and in those 10 seconds she saw something she wanted and took off? Of course we're working on teaching her proper behavior, but I'm not going to risk losing my child.

I really don't understand how it's so much more offensive than using a shopping cart or stroller. Newsflash, people use those things so their kids don't run off, same principle. My 2 year old screams for a moment or two every time I put her in the shopping cart and people probably judge me for that, but it's not because she's spoiled. She knows she has to go in the cart, she doesn't want to and that's the only way she has to express that emotion at this age. Some kids are more strong willed than others and different things are going to work for different people. So far my son is a dream, if my daughter had been like him I'd probably never even have to consider it.
  • beccyleigh
    Options

I say do away with cribs. Cages are for animals, not babies.

bwah I think i love you.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    hahaha....love it, so true! Can I be your friend!!??
    ok, just don't trust me to babysit!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yea u raised one child, easy to hold their hand. i have 3... different ball game

not really. jus grow a 3rd arm.
    if u can't then according to the people on this thread, that makes you a bad parent.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My dad had a backpack leash for me when I was very young. We were at the Minnesota State Fair, tons of people everywhere, and a lady came up to give him s*** about my leash. My dad told her that at least he knew when his daughter was, and asked her where was her son? Running away from her, through the masses of people!

I think there are times and places for this. Not everywhere, not all the time. Many things can be helpful tools or abused. I'm pregnant with my first and maybe I will use a leash if I feel its an appropriate time and place.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You have your bundle of joy and you never thought you could bring something so beautiful into the world, so you spoil them rotten,by not giving them any structure. Then when they misbehave you say "he's just a baby,that's how he expresses himself" then when they don't know how to behave in public (because you say things like he's only 2) you slap a leash on them and steer them like you would a puppy, to save yourself the embarassment of people looking at you with your out of control child.

Being that you said you have no children you sound a bit ignorant on this little rant.

Being that I also said I raised my cousin.... he was 2 when he came to live with me..:) I didn't have to leash him like an animal because I respected him as a human and held his hand unlike the ignorant person you seem to be.

Enlighten us with your discipline techniques in that case.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I have never used a leash on my kids, but I would not necessarily judge someone who does. It's all good and fine to expect an older child to listen and stay with you, but a two year old has very, very little self control.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You have your bundle of joy and you never thought you could bring something so beautiful into the world, so you spoil them rotten,by not giving them any structure. Then when they misbehave you say "he's just a baby,that's how he expresses himself" then when they don't know how to behave in public (because you say things like he's only 2) you slap a leash on them and steer them like you would a puppy, to save yourself the embarassment of people looking at you with your out of control child.

Being that you said you have no children you sound a bit ignorant on this little rant.

Being that I also said I raised my cousin.... he was 2 when he came to live with me..:) I didn't have to leash him like an animal because I respected him as a human and held his hand unlike the ignorant person you seem to be.

My children have never been out of control and unless you've had a child walk away and be lost in a crowd you have no clue how it feels. Sh it happens and most times it's not about you didn't watch your child close enough, it just freaking happens, but I love how you judge others based on your experiance. And you think it's leashing them like an animal and I think it's just being safe and being sure your child stays where it's supposed to.

You've never had to let go of your childs hand so that you can have both hands free for something? I mean really? That's all it take is just letting go and taking your eyes off them for one second and they are gone. I'm thinking your lucky to have not had it happen to you, but if it does it doesn't mean your a bad parent it means that kid is fast. Sheeeesh
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I hate this argument. I haven't used one yet, but if we were to go someplace like Disney or even a fair or local amusement park I would consider it. Toddlers don't have the brain development to not act impulsively and it takes half a second for them to disappear into a crowd. What if I told her to hold onto the carriage while I got something out of the diaper bag for the baby and in those 10 seconds she saw something she wanted and took off? Of course we're working on teaching her proper behavior, but I'm not going to risk losing my child.

I really don't understand how it's so much more offensive than using a shopping cart or stroller. Newsflash, people use those things so their kids don't run off, same principle. My 2 year old screams for a moment or two every time I put her in the shopping cart and people probably judge me for that, but it's not because she's spoiled. She knows she has to go in the cart, she doesn't want to and that's the only way she has to express that emotion at this age. Some kids are more strong willed than others and different things are going to work for different people.
    PERFECT
  • vach0601
    vach0601 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would never put a kid on a leash.. but i got my sisters kids a safety slap. ( http://www.safetyslap.com/ ) it is a wristband that has a QR token in it. So if the kids ever did get lost it would only take a smart phone and a concerned person to get them found. $20 bucks well spent. Check them out! http://www.safetyslap.com/
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I go with "Whatever works for you family". Why do we all feel the need to judge others so much. Yes, I had to use a leash at one point for my 3rd child, she darts. We were going into target one day (I was holding her hand and her Irish twins hand, they were 1 and 2) she saw a bird fly into the street and wrenched her hand away from mine and ran into the street to try and get the bird. I screamed at her to stop and told my 2 year old to stay with her older brother(5). She got lucky because the oncoming traffic was able to stop. You bet your @$$ I walked right in to target and got a leash; along with a double stroller. I would rather be looked down upon and have my child whole and alive than let an accident rob me of them.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    chuckling away at how many people are prolly sitting at home self congratulating at their superior parenting. :huh: