Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• squishytush
    Options
    Do you have children? I wouldnt judge if I were you.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    WOW, this thread is ridiculous. Congrats to the people who think they know everything.

do what works for you and yours.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Why do you keep talking about kids being runners? If you are firm, and discipline that child, and train them well, they wond be running around all wild.

If I was a runner and my mother said "Do not run there", I did not run there. <--- parenting, try it!

(Runs to bomb shelter :bigsmile: )

oh wow! I am going to try that with my two year old. Who knew it was so easy, just voice a command and they will listen.

Well that's what my mom did and it worked....and that's what I did with my cousin that i raised and he listened :) yeah try it!

I am SO impressed that you have found the universal rule of parenting! Well done!

I know! I already feel like more of an adequate parent after reading this. I mean all children are the same, and so what my two year has little reasoning. She will heed my commands and be fearful.

Obviously! How were we so lost for so long??????
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I would be curious to know if the people who say 'no way' have kids or not. Just to get some perspective on their opinion.

Yes I have a daughter and I also have a niece and nephew

I have two teens, 1 boy, 1 girl, 2 years apart. I never even considered using a leash even with a baby and toddler. I am their mother. It was my responsability to teach them to stay with me, or hold their hands.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    You have your bundle of joy and you never thought you could bring something so beautiful into the world, so you spoil them rotten,by not giving them any structure. Then when they misbehave you say "he's just a baby,that's how he expresses himself" then when they don't know how to behave in public (because you say things like he's only 2) you slap a leash on them and steer them like you would a puppy, to save yourself the embarassment of people looking at you with your out of control child.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many posters can remember following their parents orders at 18 months or 2 years old not to run or to stay close. I can barely remember being 7. As for EVERY child in the world being the same, able to follow the same orders identically? lol, clueless.

Some kids are scaredly cats & will always follow a parents commands but some kids (like mine) are fierce & strong willed & every command has to be repeated numerous times for it to sink in. This has nothing to do with a "look" or "parenting" (what does that imply btw) it is merely FACT. Are all adults the same, do all adults follow the same path? No so why the f&*% would a child.

Really, this thread is an eye opener to how judgmental, self satisfying & clueless many people on this site are.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You have your bundle of joy and you never thought you could bring something so beautiful into the world, so you spoil them rotten,by not giving them any structure. Then when they misbehave you say "he's just a baby,that's how he expresses himself" then when they don't know how to behave in public (because you say things like he's only 2) you slap a leash on them and steer them like you would a puppy, to save yourself the embarassment of people looking at you with your out of control child.

Being that you said you have no children you sound a bit ignorant on this little rant.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    Reality is all kids and parents are not the same, I know shocker but hey. You believe what you believe. I have the best kids, have from the get go. I could take them out to eat and you never heard them cry or whine or cause a scene. I could take them to the stores and you never heard the screaming and crying and begging for things. I could set a bowl of chocolate kisses out on the coffee table and they ask before they touch, they can even take it to their rooms and still ask before they eat any. But my daughter ran off at a crowded park, she just wanted to see this one slide so she went to look, she was lost (to me) for about 20 minutes. Then when my son was born and a few years later we went to Disney World I made a harness for him so he could not run off. I have always kept a close eye on my kids but they have their own minds and if they want to see something they don't think it's wrong to go look, but at 4 they don't think to ask to go if they are excited about something.

When I said no it meant no and they didn't ask why and they didn't ask a second time. When I say it's time for bed at 8 pm they went to bed with no crying no fussing and no screaming.

You can't know what it's like to have a child walk off from you unless you've been thru it, so don't judge others who have and who need to make sure their children are safe. No one is perfect and we all do what we have to do to be sure our children are safe, you do it your way and let others do it their way. Just be thankful they care enough to keep them safe.
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    How is strapping them in a stroller any different? Is it lazy of a parent to put them in a stroller? I don't think so! A leash does not equal laziness either.

At least by having them on a leash the kids have a little freedom. Sure, I see some parents let them winder too far but I also see others that use it responsibly.

It all comes down to safety. I would rather see a leash on a kid than a kid that is wondering all over the place. In a crowded area it can be very difficult to keep your little ones close, especially if you have more than one.

To each their own.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i also only make my son wear a cycle helmet because i'm too lazy to teach him not to pop a wheelie in front of a bus.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Why do you keep talking about kids being runners? If you are firm, and discipline that child, and train them well, they wond be running around all wild.

If I was a runner and my mother said "Do not run there", I did not run there. <--- parenting, try it!

oh wow! I am going to try that with my two year old. Who knew it was so easy, just voice a command and they will listen.

Well that's what my mom did and it worked....and that's what I did with my cousin that i raised and he listened :) yeah try it!

I am SO impressed that you have found the universal rule of parenting! Well done!

I know! I already feel like more of an adequate parent after reading this. I mean all children are the same, and so what my two year has little reasoning. She will heed my commands and be fearful.

Obviously! How were we so lost for so long??????

I am really unsure, i must of been communicating using grunts to never utter the words "no, dont do that"
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

clueless.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I know a mom who had 5 kids. All good kids, one had ADD and that was the only one I ever saw on a leash. I would not make a determination about the worth of a parent when I don't know the circumstances of the child. I have 4 of my own and each is uniquely different and requires different parenting techniques.

Also wondering how many parents without leashes have "lost" there children.

Amen. I think a)if you haven't walked a mile in someone's shoes, don't judge them and b)it depends on how it is being used.

I don't use playpens (we train our children early on to listen to "no" and respect it) and for the most part do not use gates (except for a dog LOL) HOWEVER we have used a leash. At Disney World. I wanted to be able to let my 14 month old at the time walk without having to bend over and hold his hand (therefore breaking my back). We did not end up using it much b/c it wasn't the best but I was glad to have it. It was the kind where it's a cute little backpack with a strap. My children ARE trained by the way. But you can't trust that a 14 month old is well trained enough to never wander.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old son is big, beautiful, and healthy. :) I'm positive that at first glance he looks completely 'normal' and angelic. We adore him. :) However- he is also autistic, mostly non-verbal, physically strong, curious, fearless, and a runner. You can't tell these things at a glance, but you might notice something 'off' if you look closely. I have been on the receiving end of 'the looks' when they see him in a stroller while we are on a walk or using a sippy cup at the doctors office. I have had the mean looks from other parents when he is being loud and stimming around a waiting room. He can't help it. It takes two of us to manage him most of the time, and we do what we can to not be a bother to others. We're not bad parents- my three older children are exceeding well-mannered and polite. So will you tell me I need to 'train him better' so that he doesn't run off and laugh at me if I use a harness on him?? Nice...

Let's not judge- at least these parents are being cautious or they may have a special needs child like we do. I shake my head A LOT more at the parents who don't seem to give a **** about what their kids are doing or where they are. :noway:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Dana+Carvey+Church+Lady.jpg
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    After getting lost in the crowds at Disney World when I was four, my parents used a leash once for that vacation. I don't blame them. :) I think it's a great idea. As a kid, I always somehow ended up lost -- grocery stores, vacations, department stores, etc.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i also only make my son wear a cycle helmet because i'm too lazy to teach him not to pop a wheelie in front of a bus.

hahaha....love it, so true! Can I be your friend!!??
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    It's amazing how many posters can remember following their parents orders at 18 months or 2 years old not to run or to stay close. I can barely remember being 7. As for EVERY child in the world being the same, able to follow the same orders identically? lol, clueless.

Some kids are scaredly cats & will always follow a parents commands but some kids (like mine) are fierce & strong willed & every command has to be repeated numerous times for it to sink in. This has nothing to do with a "look" or "parenting" (what does that imply btw) it is merely FACT. Are all adults the same, do all adults follow the same path? No so why the f&*% would a child.

Really, this thread is an eye opener to how judgmental, self satisfying & clueless many people on this site are.

LOL!! I thought I was the only one who couldn't remember following directions at ages 1-4 years of age!! But, glad I read this thread b/c now I can use these techniques in the classroom. All I have to do is use The Look and tell my students NO and they will follow my directions!! Wow!!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Reality is all kids and parents are not the same, I know shocker but hey. You believe what you believe. I have the best kids, have from the get go. I could take them out to eat and you never heard them cry or whine or cause a scene. I could take them to the stores and you never heard the screaming and crying and begging for things. I could set a bowl of chocolate kisses out on the coffee table and they ask before they touch, they can even take it to their rooms and still ask before they eat any. But my daughter ran off at a crowded park, she just wanted to see this one slide so she went to look, she was lost (to me) for about 20 minutes. Then when my son was born and a few years later we went to Disney World I made a harness for him so he could not run off. I have always kept a close eye on my kids but they have their own minds and if they want to see something they don't think it's wrong to go look, but at 4 they don't think to ask to go if they are excited about something.

When I said no it meant no and they didn't ask why and they didn't ask a second time. When I say it's time for bed at 8 pm they went to bed with no crying no fussing and no screaming.

You can't know what it's like to have a child walk off from you unless you've been thru it, so don't judge others who have and who need to make sure their children are safe. No one is perfect and we all do what we have to do to be sure our children are safe, you do it your way and let others do it their way. Just be thankful they care enough to keep them safe.

Well said! :)
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

Being that you said you have no children you sound a bit ignorant on this little rant.

Being that I also said I raised my cousin.... he was 2 when he came to live with me..:) I didn't have to leash him like an animal because I respected him as a human and held his hand unlike the ignorant person you seem to be.