Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• jasbookworm
    jasbookworm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it's stupid to put a kid on a leash. Your kid is not a wild animal! It's you CHILD. If you can't control your own child, well, you're not a good parent. In "Modern Family," one family had their little girl on a leash in DISNEYLAND and someone told her to buy her princess shoes (high heels) so she can't run away too fast. Parents should think up something other than a leash.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with them as long as they're not used in place of supervising your kids and teaching them to stay with you. I have one that I bought years ago but only felt the need to use it one time when my middle son was two years old. We went to a huge amusement park and it made me feel better to know that we couldn't be separated.

It only takes a second for them to get away from you or for you to look away to do something and then your child is lost in a sea of people.

I will deal with judgy people giving me the hairy eyeball ANY DAY over taking the chance of my child getting lost.
  • sissypunks
    sissypunks Posts: 92
    Options
    i do have one and have used it when we were in a large crowd or at the zoo because i have a very hyper child but for everyday no i don't use them but they r hand when u need them i always pay attention to all of my kids even when my then 4 year old was in her backpack!
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I gave up my first son for adoption at birth, and they put him on a leash, AND he still uses a binky. He's almost three. His brother, who I am raising on my own, is nine months and off the bottle and binky and will certainly never be leashed. I think this proves that it comes down to parenting.

This is not proof it is one occasion and you are discussing a situation in which you have one child.

They are brothers and are practically dopplegangers. They also have one child, who is not autistic. I see no reason why he needs to be leashed. But that's my situation, and its not my place to tell them differently, I just think its a shame.

You obviously care about the child's best interest and some people do use them too often. I think each child and each situation should be looked at in the best interest of the child. If you have concerns and feel comfortable you should voice them.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hahaha. I used to think the same thing. But nowadays you don't know what type of people are around you. I think it is more to protect a child than to control them. It would be nice if you can trust children to stay at your side in the grocery store (if they keep fidgeting in the cart) but realistically they will be attracted to some shiny object and try to run off. Then Mr./Ms. Creeper over there snatches your kid while you are grazing through produce. We are now in a world where men like men, women like women, and adults go after children for there sick pleasure.... If all it takes to prevent lost children and kidnapping is a little "leash", then I'll buy one. I just need to have kids first :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I never used them on my kids, but then again I might have in a large crowd if my kids were runners. My friend's kid, at 2 yrs old, would just take off running in an instant - didn't mean she wasn't watching him. Not at all. Didn't mean he wasn't behaved either. I can see both sides of the situation. I certainly didn't think she wasn't doing her job as a mother.

BTW, I was the all-knowing expert about raising kids when I was single with no children. Funny how 20 years and 3 kids later I have a much better perspective.

Thank you. My kids are 14 months apart, and my youngest was a runner. I used a wrist strap (velcro around my wrist and hers, with elastic connecting) not more than a couple times, and only in places that were super crowded. She was walking at 9 months, so by the time she was a year she could RUN. Other people judging me was the furthest thing from my mind, my first concern was my daughter's safety.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a leash. And I don't lose my kid on trips. I'd rather deal with dirty stares than a missing or kidnapped toddler. Anyone who gives me a dirty look doesn't have a toddler with ants in his pants.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I can't stand seeing that. Kids are not pets. HOLD THEIR HAND.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I dont bother with the leash. I just duct tape them to the nearest tree.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was awful parenting until I gave birth to a "bolter". On occasion, if we were going someplace with a lot of people, in order to keep him safe, we'd use a wrist strap. Judge away.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

You are not the only one who feels this way, but I tell you what, it worked for me! My kid was a RUNNER. As much as I tried to train her to listen to me, most toddlers have very poor impulse control. I saved the backpack with a tether for situations when we were in a crowd -- like festivals and airports -- to keep us from getting separated. It can happen in the blink of an eye. What a life-saver!!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    so many clearly superior parents on this website who would "NEVER" use a harness for their kids as the kids are just so perfect & well behaves. lol Get over yourself people, if someone chooses to use one then how the hell is it hurting you in any way, shape or form?

My son had a harness, you know why, cause he wanted to walk everywhere from the age of 14 months, he didn't like holding hands & as I am 6ft it would have killed my back to be lent down on one side all the time anyway. Once he wa old enough to hold on to my hand without giving me back ache or walk beside his buggy unassisted then we got rid of it but it is a useful parenting aid especially for small kids & speedy toddlers. Is my son traumatized,? No Am I a bad parent? No. So shove that in your perfect parenting pipe & well.....
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was on a leash as a child lol. I even have pics. Now I'm a perfectly normal well-adjusted adult.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    the only parents who need these are the ones who havent conditioned their child to THE LOOK. me and my cousins were some bad a$$ed kids.but our leash was that look that burned a whole in the top of your head and said "there are consequences for your actions. keep on the path you're on and face those consequences" . since our family actually DID discipline us, the look was enough to make us fall back in line

and for the record, i have add and so do some of my cousins. your kid having ADD is no excuse for them to behave like a*holes. ADD doesn't mean stupid and can't learn

That is the rudest thing I have seen on this site - and believe me there has been a lot. You OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING about ADD. No it doesn't mean stupid. It is a spectrum disorder. Remember??? But the majority of the time it comes with the inability to understand consequences and just as often the inability to delay reactions. Good grief.
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe it really was well spent money. You learned a great lesson, that children will learn to listen and pay attention to their parents.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP got what she was looking for by posting such a controversial topic. I never understand why topics such as these....or politics, religion etc are posted on a fitness site. It wasn't like she was asking a question or needed input, she just wanted to drop a radon thought/attack and run.
    While I love a little debate, I hate the attacks on people's child rearing, and beliefs. No one is right or wrong, no one should look at someone and think they are "lazy", "inhumane " etc for a decision they make. Why should someone be made to feel like they are being judged b/c they are making a decision they think is keeping their child safe. As someone said I'd rather my child be safe than on the side of a milk carton.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    toddlers...

you can either push them in a buggy, hold their hand or use a leash. you need them tethered to something because they're too young to know danger, they move fast and you can't have your attention on them and only them when you're out and about, especially if you have more than one child
    the kid feels more indepenent and comfortable on a leash. have you had your arm held over your head for over an hour lately? been strapped into a chair while everyone else stretches their legs? they're also pretty cool for saving the skin on their knees and hands from the frequent toppling over that toddlers do.

18-36 months, leashes are great!

you think a two year old worries that you think leashes are for animals? or do you think they're too busy eploring the world, on their own two feel, with both hands free and comfortable? your prejudices mean nothing to them. nothing at all.

a safety line is lazy? a security precaution is bad parenting? silly. silly is the word that springs to mind.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Lol, when I have a toddler who wants his independence, but I need to get some shopping done, then hell yeah he's going to be on a leash. Same with an amusement park. Having a husband who works as a police officer makes you realize just how many wackos there are out there, and that you can never be too careful.
  • RadiantxReality
    RadiantxReality Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Clearly you don't have children. Yes, I use a leash. My kid doesn't always want to be strapped down in a stroller, and she doesn't understand the concept that she HAS to hold my hand. I'm definitely not going to let her just run wild somewhere crowded, hence, the leash.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This mom wants to get back into shape after having 2 kids. The oldest is near 2, the youngest is 4 months. When I'm home alone and want to take my kids on our evening walks, I wear my infant in a sling or bjorn, and my toddler wears her backpack that contains a leash and her sippy cup. My toddler holds my hand while she enjoys her walk, the fresh air, exploring and sightseeing, getting her exercise, picking up acorns and sticks, etc.

This horrible leash that many of you are refferring to allows all the above while preventing the hazards of the road and the "oh my god, i cant believe that child got hit by a car" moment because shes 2 and darted in the street. I mega triple dog dare someone come up to me while I'm wearing my baby and walking with my toddler and asking what "breed" my toddler is.

This is not being lazy or irresponsible or inattentive.

This is about exercise and safety.