Putting your KID on a leash

Options
IsleEsme
IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Replies

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    my kid is a pitbull, so he goes on a leash :D
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've never used one, or felt I needed one for my kids, but I can understand why people do it. I guess if I had ever used one it would depend on the situation. Using it every time you leave the house would be way too much, but maybe in setting where there are a lot more people, like Downtown Disney in Orlando....I can see it as helpful.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

You are not the only one.. leashes are for animals not children.. and if you need to place your child on a leash then maybe they
    need some more home training.. sorry just my .02
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I would be curious to know if the people who say 'no way' have kids or not. Just to get some perspective on their opinion.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    With 3 kids there are times I wish I owned one. Lol. But I could never. Every time I see a patent using one... The kids is off wandering somewhere and the parent is paying no attention. It's like a false sense of security that if the kids attached somehow they're safe. Lazy parenting! Pay attention. Teach them to mind and be respectful.
    3,2,1.....FLAMES!

Someone asked about losing kids - never! Mine stay with me or our cart. The two little ones know to keep their hands on the cart. Sometimes they're terrors in the store but they are just simply not allowed to wander. I dont tollerate it.
  • momtokayla
    momtokayla Posts: 13
    Options
    I would never put my kids on a leash. It is called parenting, watch your kids when your out somewhere. I have 4 young kids and I have figured it out...if parents need to put their kid on a leash it is definately because they aren't well behaved/trained to stay close to their parents.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My daughter and son are very close in age, so when my son was born my mother convinced me to get one for taking them to the zoo and such.
    I used it once, at the zoo. That was it.

It really wasn't that much more convenient, and she was unhappy. That was money NOT well spent at Target.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I kinda like when parents put their kids on a leash, it gives me something to point and laugh at.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know a mom who had 5 kids. All good kids, one had ADD and that was the only one I ever saw on a leash. I would not make a determination about the worth of a parent when I don't know the circumstances of the child. I have 4 of my own and each is uniquely different and requires different parenting techniques.

Also wondering how many parents without leashes have "lost" there children.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I would never put my kids on a leash. It is called parenting, watch your kids when your out somewhere. I have 4 young kids and I have figured it out...if parents need to put their kid on a leash it is definately because they aren't well behaved/trained to stay close to their parents.

No kids, but I agree..If your child is well trained he/she wont misbehave, and if you watch him/her closely and keep him/her near and incheck, they wont be snatched by anyone.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would be curious to know if the people who say 'no way' have kids or not. Just to get some perspective on their opinion.

Yes I have a daughter and I also have a niece and nephew
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    my kid is a pitbull, so he goes on a leash :D

Love this, as 1 of mine is a pitbull also :heart:

But as far as a KID, omg no.. just no. I can't stand when people do that. What happened to holding your child's hand? I feel like it is an excuse to not watch your kid as well as you should be.. but then again, with that said... it does serve a purpose. Tho, I would never do that to my kid. Just my opinion.. not lookin to offend anyone.

Edit to add: I have a 3 year old boy :love:
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

No kids, but I agree..If your child is well trained he/she wont misbehave, and if you watch him/her closely and keep him/her near and incheck, they wont be snatched by anyone.

Kids are curious by nature that is why we "train" them. They are not born to know they shouldn't cross a street. Training children is like training your muscles it takes time and we make mistakes. Children have been snatched from their beds here in California. I don't think anyone could prepare for that.
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No kids of my own, but am a care giver to 7, ages 12 months to 6 years old. I use a harness/leash for a set of 16 month old twin boys when we go for walks. I do this because I HATE strollers with a passion. By the time they are 2-2.5 years old, they will be "off-leash" like their older siblings, and expected to behave accordingly.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    I never used them on my kids, but then again I might have in a large crowd if my kids were runners. My friend's kid, at 2 yrs old, would just take off running in an instant - didn't mean she wasn't watching him. Not at all. Didn't mean he wasn't behaved either. I can see both sides of the situation. I certainly didn't think she wasn't doing her job as a mother.

BTW, I was the all-knowing expert about raising kids when I was single with no children. Funny how 20 years and 3 kids later I have a much better perspective.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids who are very close in age. (picture going out with a 2, 3 and 6 year old) and I never needed a leash. I agree it starts with parenting at home.

Ok if you have a "special circumstance " child but that's never who you see with the leash. It's always the parent who isn't paying attention.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    and here all this time I thought leashes were only used in the bedroom.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I always put my goat on a leash.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My sister in law used to have backpacks that looked like monkeys and it's tail was a leash. She only used them when they went somewhere crowded like the zoo. I don't blame her I'd rather other people looking down their nose at me than a pervert getting a hold of my kid.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find it hilarious.