Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's a hell of a lot of judging going on in here. If you disagree, fine, but to make out like someone's a bad parent........smdh.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If people could raise their children properly, leashes would not be needed.

I'm not sure its all about "raising." I think runners have been around forever, I reallly don't think thats a new thing. Kids used to be allowed to run the neighborhoods, through the woods, etc. You used to be able to turn older but not yet teen kids loose at the fair or amusement park. You just can't do that anymore. Even if a kidnapper didn't take them, child services would. Leashes just give parents one more tool to use, IMHO.
  • robmaass
    robmaass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My 3 boys are all now over 25 years old, but when they were toddlers, I used a leash with them. It is the best invention ever in my opinion. If you put aside your bias and idea it is only for animals mentality there are good reasons. It gives them much more exercise than a stroller does. Since I only have two hands and three of them, and in most I cases I needed a free hand for something else, it provided security for them, peace of mind for me, and the freedom to enjoy our surroundings. Additionally it probably saved their lives once or twice. Once at a busy intersection, I had them hold hands, on a leash too. Suddenly one got the wild idea to let go and dash into the street. His brother lost the grip on his little hand, but I held the leash so everything was okay.

I can't recall what age I stopped using a leash, but it was definitely by the time they were 4.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    We bought a backpack that had a strap to attach to it when we traveled on an airplane with our then 2 year old. He is innately curious and I was so worried that he would wander off. I filled it with toys for the plane, and he still loves it a year later (although I have lost the strap). Peace of mind was totally worth any stares we got, but, to be honest, I didn't notice anyone, I was too busy with our luggage and 2 active boys to care!
  • abberbabber
    Options
    When I was little I wandered off everywhere sometimes too fast. When we would go on vacation, to the zoo, etc I wore a bracelet that was connected to a bracelet on my Dads wrist so I wouldn't get lost. He told me it was to keep him safe and I was none the wiser (I felt obligated to protect my Dad from getting lost). If they hadn't they would have spent a great deal of time worrying about me or trying to find me.

By the way, I had great parents and was a well behaved child. Just a little too curious when out on big adventures.

This is the best answer yet. What a great Daddy! THis is my feeling exactly. It gives a child a little more freedom to look around and interact with the world around them. I would rather see a Mom walking with her child on a leash beside her than see a Mom yelling and screaming at her children the whole time they are out in public. Who enjoys that???

I agree, what a great dad!!!
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I first noticed this practice when stationed in Germany back in the '70's. At first I thought it was very degrading. But after seeing the use over a period of time I came to realize it was actually a genious idea. Allows the youngster to explore, the freedom to move about while under the absolute control of the parent. Views will very, but I personnaly think it can be more effective than contant hand holding or demanding the stay by my side routine. Just my 2 cents.
  • nerdmaker
    nerdmaker Posts: 8
    Options
    I used a leash on my oldest son only when he was little. He was autistic and uncommunicative plus he had the super power of sneaking away quickly and quietly. He was brave and unafraid of leaving my side. Before him, I thought the leashes were cruel, too. The first time I lost him and couldn't find him in a crowded store, I changed my mind. He hadn't even sneaked away. He pulled out of my grasp and ran. I guess I made a wrong turn trying to catch him or he hid. I now know that parents who use the leashes do so for good reasons and it isn't my place to judge. You never know what situation will happen that can change your deepest beliefs. Having an autistic son gave me that insight.

On the other hand, I never had to use it on my other two children because I still sometimes have trouble prying them off of me (ones 25 and the other is twelve). They were always more afraid of losing me so they never left my side. Goes to show that each child is their own person.
  • spacehorse79
    spacehorse79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have a kid that bolts in parking lots/public locations you will think about using one!
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Very well put :)
    I first noticed this practice when stationed in Germany back in the '70's. At first I thought it was very degrading. But after seeing the use over a period of time I came to realize it was actually a genious idea. Allows the youngster to explore, the freedom to move about while under the absolute control of the parent. Views will very, but I personnaly think it can be more effective than contant hand holding or demanding the stay by my side routine. Just my 2 cents.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    My 3 boys are all now over 25 years old, but when they were toddlers, I used a leash with them. It is the best invention ever in my opinion. If you put aside your bias and idea it is only for animals mentality there are good reasons. It gives them much more exercise than a stroller does. Since I only have two hands and three of them, and in most I cases I needed a free hand for something else, it provided security for them, peace of mind for me, and the freedom to enjoy our surroundings. Additionally it probably saved their lives once or twice. Once at a busy intersection, I had them hold hands, on a leash too. Suddenly one got the wild idea to let go and dash into the street. His brother lost the grip on his little hand, but I held the leash so everything was okay.

I can't recall what age I stopped using a leash, but it was definitely by the time they were 4.

Great point about the exercise! We whine about kids getting fat and then we whine about parents letting them walk around because - OMG - they're using a harness to keep them close. <roll eyes>
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When taking out a single stroller with two children (aged 7 months and 2 years) I sometimes make the 2 year old walk with a wrist leash. No, it does not make me a lazy parent. If I did not use the wrist leash, he has been known to dart towards the road. I still hold his hand, even with the leash on.

My care giver also uses the wrist leash with my son if he has to walk. People have chastised her on it, but she had a very good point about it. Before, she had a little guy like my son. Liked to dart away while the caregiver had a stroller. She had ropes she would make the children hold onto if they were walking, but it didn't work for this child. Here is the conversation.

Random woman: why are you treating that child like an animal? Leashes are only for pets.
    Caregiver: so, you will keep your pets safe, but not a child?

For me, the wrist leash is a safety thing.

I agree! I've used reins on my kids when they were aged 1-2 when there was a danger (e.g. traffic) so that they could walk instead of being stuck in a stroller, because I want them to be active and have strong legs and get used to walking from a young age. At this age you cannot expect them to do exactly what you tell them like a 3-4 yr old, but at the same time they usually don't want to be in a stroller in the first place and there's so much childhood obesity nowadays that the younger they get into the habit of being active the better.

Also just because you have a child in reins does not mean that you're not holding their hand or teaching them how to walk next to you. They're an additional safety thing that can be the difference between life and death if you're walking by a busy road. Kids don't always do what they're told, no matter how good a parent you are, and if they do suddenly decide to run off (toddlers are very easily distracted), you don't want them running into the road. With reins, they can't get as far as the road. In the malI I don't use them (no traffic, if they run off I can go get them), but I do keep them in my handbag and tell my kids that if they don't behave they'll be put on them :):):) I've not had to use them and they generally do behave very well.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Children are curious! They want to see things and wonder around...

How obnoxious.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    My brother had to be on a leash as he liked shiny things and would try and dart out to look at cars... I didn't need 'em cause I was a bloody awesome child :smokin:
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No leashes, ever for your kid. Disciplne your children people! Aargh, pisses me off to see that type of latitude afforded to kids.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

That's very judgemental and short sighted. One has nothing to do with the other.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    We bought a backpack that had a strap to attach to it when we traveled on an airplane with our then 2 year old. He is innately curious and I was so worried that he would wander off. I filled it with toys for the plane, and he still loves it a year later (although I have lost the strap). Peace of mind was totally worth any stares we got, but, to be honest, I didn't notice anyone, I was too busy with our luggage and 2 active boys to care!

I was just 2 years old the first time I traveled by airplane and my mom had a "leash" to keep track of me. I joke around with her and say "I can't believe you had me on a leash!" but in all honesty I think it's a smart idea. Not degrading or abuse or anything like that. I would probably do it with my own future child if we were somewhere busy where I was worried about his/her safety.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    demotivational-posters-meanwhile1.jpg
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids. I never though I had to or needed to use one. That was until I had my 3rd child.

Go a head and flame away. If you have a kid who is a runner like mine and If you have ever seen her in action. Then you can judge me. Until, MYOB!!! Oh and I dare one of you to grow balls and ask one of these parents WHY!!!

doubt they ever would; hiding behind the anonymity of the internet people will say anything
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    To be honest I tried it, my daughter would take off running and it would pretty much 'clothesline' her. So I gave up. I realize now it was a good thing because instead of just holding on to her like that I have actually 'taught' her to stay close to me.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I used to have exactly this thought. And then my daughter was born deaf. She's 19 now, but when she was a toddler, she wanted to get down and walk just like everyone else. I dare anyone to tell me I was a bad parent for choosing to keep my daughter and her sister, who is now 20, close to me in crowd situations where she wouldn't be able to hear me, and might not necessarily be able to cue from me visually with all the additional stimulation going on around her. As for her sister, I can't count the number of times before I broke down and decided to use a leash that she would quietly walk away and go sit a few feet from me while my back was turned trying to communicate with my other daughter, only to cause me a moment's panic while I tried to figure out where she was. Out of control kid? I hardly think so. She was simply removing herself from a situation where the eye wasn't on her. It was instinctual for her. Maybe it wasn't the perfect choice, but how much logic can you really ask from a 2-year-old?

I will admit we were an extreme case, but some people might want to consider that you don't always know the whole story before you paint all "offenders" with the same brush. A child may appear perfectly normal to your eyes, but there may be other issues about which you know nothing.