Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How ever people can keep their child from being my problem, I don't care.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use a leash.. a muzzle is next on the list.

Seriously though, we live in San Francisco, The streets are crazy busy and my 2 year old son likes to take off.. I also have a 4 year old, (who is no longer on a leash). It;s the leash or my son potentially running into traffic.. I'll take the leash.

What I personally find ridiculous is when I see kids who are 4 or older and perfectly capable of walking (with or without a leash) being pushed by their parents in a stroller. that drives me nuts. But, I get it.....some parents are lazy.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When it come to the safety of a child, I vote for safety. They have some really cute ones that look like a backpack animal with a tail. My granddaughter was a runner as a toddler. So you go ahead and laugh but she survived toddlerhood.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I never used one for my son, but I understand why some parents do. As a teacher, I often work with students who are ADHD, ODD, and have other severe behavioral problems. These children are often very impulsive and do not listen to directions. Sometimes the stimulation from being in public, may cause them to run off or do other things that would put their safety in jeopardy. Using a leash is not a reflection of these parents parenting skills. They are probably trying to keep their children safe.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My kids were in strollers from the time they were 3 mos. till they were 4. By that time, they were old enough to know to stay with ME.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I have always felt this is the wrong way to treat children and I have never used these things.

However, recently I have realised that sometimes there may well be a need...a friend of mine has 3 children, the youngest has behavourial/learning difficulties which are being investigated but nothing has been diagnosed yet. This child has run off so many times, meaning her mum and siblings have to run after her and try and find her, it's extremely stressful and sometimes they've had trouble finding her. My friend has resorted to using a hand strap occasionally in certain situations, she says the stares she gets from people are awful, she doesn't want to use this but is at a loss as what to do anymore.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I have 5 children and 99% of the time they were all with me at the same time. I never once put my kids on a leash LOL
    My kids knew how to act in public and they knew Mom wasn't messing around.
    If you have to put your kid on a leash, maybe they need to be taught who the boss is.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people get so upset about this. It doesn't hurt the child at all. I don't think I would personally put my kid on a leash but I don't look down on people that do. If it keeps their kid from running into me and getting lost. So be it.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have twin toddlers that run in different directions and don't listen all the time (I'm sure you parents that have toddlers can relate), I'd rather people look at me funny then have a lost or dead child. While I don't use them for every day tasks....I have brought them with me to amusement parks or crowded areas. If people what to think that it's treating a child like a "dog" to do it, so be it, I'd rather keep my kids safe.
    I'm not sure why people get so worked up about this....if you don't believe in it, don't do it....but don't condemn others for trying to keep their children safe.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I literally thought this was a joke but the replies suggest that there are infact folks putting their kids on a leash (and not just metaphorically...). Umm, wtf? I thought my parents were brutal and while they at times lead me to believe that they'd kill me, I cannot in a million years imagine them doing something like this and killing my self-esteem and my dignity....
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I gave up my first son for adoption at birth, and they put him on a leash, AND he still uses a binky. He's almost three. His brother, who I am raising on my own, is nine months and off the bottle and binky and will certainly never be leashed. I think this proves that it comes down to parenting.
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    I feel for your friend. Our youngest boy is the same. It is SO HARD and overwhelming.
    I have always felt this is the wrong way to treat children and I have never used these things.

However, recently I have realised that sometimes there may well be a need...a friend of mine has 3 children, the youngest has behavourial/learning difficulties which are being investigated but nothing has been diagnosed yet. This child has run off so many times, meaning her mum and siblings have to run after her and try and find her, it's extremely stressful and sometimes they've had trouble finding her. My friend has resorted to using a hand strap occasionally in certain situations, she says the stares she gets from people are awful, she doesn't want to use this but is at a loss as what to do anymore.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    And to all of you that do use a leash, and are getting upset at the people who disagree for "judging"...what are you doing by saying things like, "I would rather them be safe"..because parents who disagree with the leash don't want their kids to be safe? Or "You keep your dog safe by putting him on a leash, so why not your kids?"...because MY kid is smarter than a dog! Just saying, don't get mad at people for disagreeing with you, get upset because you feel they are judging you, and then turn around and judge them. That's just a tad bit hypocritical don't ya think?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is sad; the judging.

I have 3 kids, never used a leash, but I have friends who had kids where you literally look down to get something out of a bag, turn your head up, and they're gone. Just like that. For people without kids, there's no way you can understand that. No matter what you think, no matter how many nieces or nephews you have or whatever. you cannot possibly even fathom. For those with kids, all I can say is it depends. I never needed one. But, I live in a city, and kids darting off can be very dangerous fo everyone. If you need one, then do it. Whatever it takes to keep everyone safe and happy.

Don't judge. You don't know the whole story.

Having said all that, if the parents are just lazy. Then, they are pieces of *kitten*. But, at least, at the very minimum, they know that, and display it. So, there's that.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My mom raised three of us, plus took care of 3 more during the summers. We went out and did things, leashes were never involved. We knew better than to wander off. Mom went over safety with us all the time.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never used one for my son, but I understand why some parents do. As a teacher, I often work with students who are ADHD, ODD, and have other severe behavioral problems. These children are often very impulsive and do not listen to directions. Sometimes the stimulation from being in public, may cause them to run off or do other things that would put their safety in jeopardy. Using a leash is not a reflection of these parents parenting skills. They are probably trying to keep their children safe.

+1
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always want to go up to the parents of kids who do this and go "Awe, how cute, what breed is he/she?" Leashes belong on dogs, not kids. I don't have kids myself, but I've babysat a LOT. I've never once had a problem losing any, IMO parents put their kids on a leash because they are too lazy to enforce rules, and think it's okay. It's really not that difficult to hold onto their hand or put them in a cart. I've also had to deal with some very bratty kids too. Again, I've never lost a kid this way, and I won't when I have my kids either. Of course, I plan on paying attention to my kids and teaching them how to behave in a good manor.

Wow.. you are clueless... wait till you have kids. you're in for a reality check. Babysitting "ALOT" and actually having kids cannot be compared.
  • estrada3d
    estrada3d Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have my kid on a leash than a milk carton
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My son WAS a runner. He just turned two. I used a leash on him once when he was one. I have taught him to 'stay with mommy' through walking around our local zoo (less than a mile from our house) sans stroller or leash. He listens incredibly well now, but it had to be learned.
    He is naturally adventurous and would just dart off (I'm in a cam walker boot because I've lost half my foot in bone) and it was nearly impossible to catch him and it would scare the bejesus out of me.

That being said, I would never judge ANYONE for putting their child on a leash. If you need it, use it. It's not inhumane to do so. In fact, it'a a safety precaution.

Better safe than sorry.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I've seen some that are just like pillow pets with a strap attached, those look a lot better than the 'harness' ones they use to have. I've never used one for my toddler, but sometimes I wish I had one. It's better to be safe than sorry. Just yesterday he was watching an airplane fly above us, he started clapping, and took off running across the park after it!

A 2yr old WILL be a 2yr old, no matter how great of a parent you are.