Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• kdawn130
    kdawn130 Posts: 18
    Options
    I would definitely put my kid on a leash in any public setting. There are so may disgusting creeps and perverts in this world and you are absolutely delusional if you think that you can keep both eyes on your kids at all times. It's perfectly normal to put your dog or other animal on a leash to prevent them from running off or encountering a dangerous situation, so what's the damn difference? I would do anything in my power to protect my children, even if it means putting them on a leash so that they're always within my eyesight!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I literally thought this was a joke but the replies suggest that there are infact folks putting their kids on a leash (and not just metaphorically...). Umm, wtf? I thought my parents were brutal and while they at times lead me to believe that they'd kill me, I cannot in a million years imagine them doing something like this and killing my self-esteem and my dignity....

well its not an actual leash and collar around the kids' neck like a dog. lol. the ones my mom used on us were rainbow colored velcro bracelets around our wrists with a cord. the other end of the cord went to a rainbow velcro bracelet my mom wore.

and i certainly don't think it has anything to do with bad parenting. i wandered off as a kid because i tried to make everything fun and a game. i thought making an impromptu game of hide and go seek in department store clothing racks was fun and then popping out saying "BOOO!" when i saw my mom was starting to panic because she couldn't find me; i always kept her in view. apparently my mom didn't think it was all that funny.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I didn't need to use one but I've learned to never say never. As a parent, you will do anything to keep your kid safe. A "harness" is the only way some parents do it.
  • happyclicker
    Options
    To the original poster - You have obviously never had twins or triplets. It is very judgmental to make statements like you have. Seems like you have time on your hands. I'm getting off of here and will go exercise!!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    After reading some of these replies I have to wonder where someone gets "lazy" from a parent who puts a leash on their kid. A lazy parent doesn't give a flip, they just let the kid wander (read: the kid who toddles around busy restaurants oblivious to pots of coffee). Lazy parents don't make the effort. And maybe, just maybe, the parent likes to be able to look at something without hearing "mommy, mommy, mommy" every two seconds. Been there!! So what if the parent turns to look at something, as long as they are still keeping one eye on the kid. Seriously, I never used a leash, but often took my twins to the grocery store alone. They were good about staying close and I made sure to keep one eye on them and one hand on the buggy but sometimes you just have to turn around. When you see someone with a kid on the leash, you have a split second to judge. Unless you know the person or seem them often you have no idea why the kid is on a leash. The wandering kid I mention above aggravates me far more, as does the kid who hangs over the back of the booth, and mom and dad are oblivious. To me THATS lazy, not to mention rude.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My parents took me to Disney World when I was 18 months old. Instead of making me sit in the stroller all day, they let me walk around - on a leash. I like to think I'm a well-adjusted person in spite of such atrocities :laugh:
  • Oreomilkshakebabe
    Options
    Lol my parents never did that. They thought about it because I used to love running away and running straight towards the street but I was just chased down.
    I would never put my own kid on a leash. I see why some people do it though, some kid's are in great danger of getting lost and really need to be kept close. Those cute little money backpacks with the leash is cute anyways! aha!
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    as the mom of 6, 4 in 3 years and the 4th child has autism i have sometimes used a leash on him as he would be overwhelmed by something and run it was safer for him and the others, especially if i was on my own, or it was a new situation for him
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If people could raise their children properly, leashes would not be needed.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've seen some that are just like pillow pets with a strap attached, those look a lot better than the 'harness' ones they use to have. I've never used one for my toddler, but sometimes I wish I had one. It's better to be safe than sorry. Just yesterday he was watching an airplane fly above us, he started clapping, and took off running across the park after it!

A 2yr old WILL be a 2yr old, no matter how great of a parent you are.

Agreed. My son had a dino backpack. I'm sure, at two, no matter how many times I warn him that he can get lost, he's more concerned about chasing that butterfly off in the distance.
  • leditrix
    leditrix Posts: 2
    Options
    Judgmental much? Nobody puts their kid on a leash unless they have to. I'm the mother of seven. Most were docile and obedient, followed instructions, and had an internal need to stay close by my side. The one with Asperger's didn't. He was on a leash because he'd run off and be gone like the wind if I so much as blinked. After a dozen serious scares, some of which required police searches, that kid was on a leash in public. Parents are human, too, and sometimes have to sneeze or blink or watch for traffic when crossing the street. If the kid's on a leash, have some damned compassion. That's sometimes the best and safest way to parent.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    No a child should not be on a leash. My biggest issue with them is the fact that most wont pay attention to what their child is doing, cant tell you how many I almost tripped over cause the kid shot across in front of me and the parent give me a dirty look when I say thanks for using your kid to try and trip me. Or how many kids detach their leashes, Mindanao defeats the purpose of it.

No I don't have kids but Ive baby sat kids that "needed" them. One "if you walk away from me ill leave you here and you'll have to hope the squirrels pitty you" and I had no issue. They stayed within eye sight of me.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My son is 8 with ADHD... When he was younger, I had a backpack leash for him.

I'd use it in busy places, or walking around near traffic. He had little to no self control, something would pop into his mind, and he'd be OFF in the opposite direction... As soon as he was able to, he'd open doors and take off, toddling down the road.

Most of the time he's still not even aware of his actions, until I point it out.

It had saved me sooo much panic, trying to keep him in arm's reach.

It's not always the parenting, but what the child is/isn't capable of....
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids. I never though I had to or needed to use one. That was until I had my 3rd child.

Go a head and flame away. If you have a kid who is a runner like mine and If you have ever seen her in action. Then you can judge me. Until, MYOB!!! Oh and I dare one of you to grow balls and ask one of these parents WHY!!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    why does this bother you? whatever works for the parent.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    After reading some of the replies, I can't believe how many people have perfectly well behaved children that stay at their side 24 hours a day. Any "super nanny's" out there wanna come to my house and show me how it's done? B/c my kids are super active, love to run and explore. If you disagree with my parenting that's fine, I probably don't agree with yours....but to call parents lazy b/c of using one, smh, I'm far from lazy raising twins and working a full time job 7 days a week.
    I do however find it funny that people without kids are commenting, I always thought it was inhumane to put kids on a "leash", until I saw how hard it was being out by myself with 2 year old twins. It takes 2 seconds for a child to get snatched up or get lost....wonder if any parents who took their eyes off their kids for 2 seconds in a busy environment and their kid was lost wish they used a leash.
  • clintbritt3
    clintbritt3 Posts: 123
    Options
    I would be curious to know if the people who say 'no way' have kids or not. Just to get some perspective on their opinion.

That's exactly what I was thinking.... My kids are very well behaved in public, but when they were super little we did go through a period of them wandering off to look at things and so for their safety and my peace of mind we did use the little doggy backpack leash for my oldest, but never used it for my others..... there's nothing wrong with it, I just say parents who use it are being smart and the other parents who are criticizing are usually the ones who kids are running all over the place and being brats.... just my observation.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

You obviously have no f%cking clue what's it's like to run after a toddler who has no idea about incoming traffic, dangers around them or running after them in a broken foot so keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

33yusw44837sw.gif
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    This was obviously a thread about opinions. No one is right or wrong on here.
    We all have our own opinions about this subject, so I'm not sure why anyone is getting so upset about it.
    What we do with our kids, is up to us. No I have never used a leash on my kids but that doesn't make me a better
    parent than anyone that has. When my kids were smaller it actually looked like a dog leash/harness LOL and it never crossed my mind to use one.!! From what you are all saying, they are much different now.
    All kids are different and we as parents all deal with things differently.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    When I was little I wandered off everywhere sometimes too fast. When we would go on vacation, to the zoo, etc I wore a bracelet that was connected to a bracelet on my Dads wrist so I wouldn't get lost. He told me it was to keep him safe and I was none the wiser (I felt obligated to protect my Dad from getting lost). If they hadn't they would have spent a great deal of time worrying about me or trying to find me.

By the way, I had great parents and was a well behaved child. Just a little too curious when out on big adventures.

This is the best answer yet. What a great Daddy! THis is my feeling exactly. It gives a child a little more freedom to look around and interact with the world around them. I would rather see a Mom walking with her child on a leash beside her than see a Mom yelling and screaming at her children the whole time they are out in public. Who enjoys that???