Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP got what she was looking for by posting such a controversial topic. I never understand why topics such as these....or politics, religion etc are posted on a fitness site. It wasn't like she was asking a question or needed input, she just wanted to drop a radon thought/attack and run.
    While I love a little debate, I hate the attacks on people's child rearing, and beliefs. No one is right or wrong, no one should look at someone and think they are "lazy", "inhumane " etc for a decision they make. Why should someone be made to feel like they are being judged b/c they are making a decision they think is keeping their child safe. As someone said I'd rather my child be safe than on the side of a milk carton.

Couldnt agree with you more!!
    There is a difference between voicing an opinion about a product, then about the people using the product.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    toddlers...

you can either push them in a buggy, hold their hand or use a leash. you need them tethered to something because they're too young to know danger, they move fast and you can't have your attention on them and only them when you're out and about, especially if you have more than one child
    the kid feels more indepenent and comfortable on a leash. have you had your arm held over your head for over an hour lately? been strapped into a chair while everyone else stretches their legs? they're also pretty cool for saving the skin on their knees and hands from the frequent toppling over that toddlers do.

18-36 months, leashes are great!

you think a two year old worries that you think leashes are for animals? or do you think they're too busy eploring the world, on their own two feel, with both hands free and comfortable? your prejudices mean nothing to them. nothing at all.

a safety line is lazy? a security precaution is bad parenting? silly. silly is the word that springs to mind.

Totally. Be my friend. Lol
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I dont bother with the leash. I just duct tape them to the nearest tree.

LOL! FWIW I did bungee cord my twins together by their pant loops when they were about 18 months old, in a giant museum. At least that way they stayed together but could still walk independently! Hahahaha!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Why do you keep talking about kids being runners? If you are firm, and discipline that child, and train them well, they wond be running around all wild.

If I was a runner and my mother said "Do not run there", I did not run there. <--- parenting, try it!

(Runs to bomb shelter :bigsmile: )
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    toddlers...

you can either push them in a buggy, hold their hand or use a leash. you need them tethered to something because they're too young to know danger, they move fast and you can't have your attention on them and only them when you're out and about, especially if you have more than one child
    the kid feels more indepenent and comfortable on a leash. have you had your arm held over your head for over an hour lately? been strapped into a chair while everyone else stretches their legs? they're also pretty cool for saving the skin on their knees and hands from the frequent toppling over that toddlers do.

18-36 months, leashes are great!

you think a two year old worries that you think leashes are for animals? or do you think they're too busy eploring the world, on their own two feel, with both hands free and comfortable? your prejudices mean nothing to them. nothing at all.

a safety line is lazy? a security precaution is bad parenting? silly. silly is the word that springs to mind.

Finally a voice of reason. This, this, this, and then this.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    how about just stop worrying about what other people are doing

just

stop
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Okay, I will admit to using a leash once when my son was about two. Every time we went out walking, he would bolt off without warning. So I told him if he did it again, I would put him on a leash like the dogs. I thought that would be enough to deter him but apparently not. The next time we were out, he bolted. I put him on a leash and he was horrified because "I'm not a dog!". But he never did it again. For me it was a safety issue, I didn't want to take the chance of him deciding to take off and run into the street in front of a car so I needed him to follow my direction of walking near me. I didn't do it out of laziness or lack of parenting skills. Besides, once I said I was going to do it, I had to follow through no matter what the neighbors might have thought of it.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There have definitely been times, as a PARENT, that I wish I had a leash for my boy. Toddler under 2. He is a good little kid but too curious and has no fear...why should he. I have seen this kid move so fast and nearly faceplant into the pool or take off without a moment's notice. For those PARENTS who do employ a harness or leash, I am sure it is for safety of their little boy or girl. As I said, I often contemplate having one, but I don't. For the naysayers, especially those who do not even have a child, when it comes to the safety of our children, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with our PARENTING skills.
  • jboccio90
    Options
    Why do you keep talking about kids being runners? If you are firm, and discipline that child, and train them well, they wond be running around all wild.

If I was a runner and my mother said "Do not run there", I did not run there. <--- parenting, try it!

oh wow! I am going to try that with my two year old. Who knew it was so easy, just voice a command and they will listen.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

HAHA! Try reasoning with a 14 month old, its not as easy as it sounds! I use a backpack that has a leash attached to it for my boys,not because I am a bad parent, but because when they are little they dont understand danger and I like to keep my kids safe. I honestly would like someone to say something to my face, when I am out with my boys and they are wearing their backpacks!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Tells us more about this discipline I keep hearing about. I would love to hear your recommendations.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

oh wow! I am going to try that with my two year old. Who knew it was so easy, just voice a command and they will listen.

Well that's what my mom did and it worked....and that's what I did with my cousin that i raised and he listened :) yeah try it!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Well that's what my mom did and it worked....and that's what I did with my cousin that i raised and he listened :) yeah try it!

I am SO impressed that you have found the universal rule of parenting that will work for ALL children on the entire planet!! And all before having a child of your own. Well done!
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Bwhahahaha, That was a joke right???:laugh:
    Damn, why haven't I thought of that??? Parenting, that's a new concept to me, being a parent of 3 year old twins, I've never tried it....
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    if she would gamble your toddler life on you obeying? i'll pass.

my daughter was never a runner, stayed close by my side, but there was always the chance that today would be the first time. why risk it?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My parents had a leash for me. I was an inquisitive child who would wander off to look at things I found interesting. I was also fast and fearless.

I have grown into an inquisitive adult who wanders off to look at things I find interesting.
  • innocentangel
    Options
    i used them with my son purely because i have two younger children and he would just take off and run without any warning, and he wouldnt look back or stop. would never know when he was going to do it, was always on my guard. its not a leash.. its a safety device, we put dogs on leashes to keep them safe eg. from the road, the harness for children is called a safety harness and is exactly that, to keep them safe! some people are so judgemental!
  • kdawn130
    kdawn130 Posts: 18
    Options
    @kburks0709

Sure, If I see another person being harassed or abused, and I'm not talking about a toddler on a leash being watched closely my his mother, then I will just ignore it and walk on by. After all it is none of my business
  • jboccio90
    Options

I am SO impressed that you have found the universal rule of parenting! Well done!

I know! I already feel like more of an adequate parent after reading this. I mean all children are the same, and so what my two year has little reasoning. She will heed my commands and be fearful.