Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• shananignz
    Options
    I have two rather rambunctious Autistic kids at home and I've never even considered putting my kids on a leash. I bring someone else with me if I have to go out and do something. I can understand certain circumstances where it might be needed, but if your just walking down the street and have your kids on a leash? That's why holding hands was invented.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You have your bundle of joy and you never thought you could bring something so beautiful into the world, so you spoil them rotten,by not giving them any structure. Then when they misbehave you say "he's just a baby,that's how he expresses himself" then when they don't know how to behave in public (because you say things like he's only 2) you slap a leash on them and steer them like you would a puppy, to save yourself the embarassment of people looking at you with your out of control child.

Being that you said you have no children you sound a bit ignorant on this little rant.

Being that I also said I raised my cousin.... he was 2 when he came to live with me..:) I didn't have to leash him like an animal because I respected him as a human and held his hand unlike the ignorant person you seem to be.

I wonder if you could do that pushing a newborn in a stroller. My daughter wore a harness once, when my son was a newborn at the zoo. Both are very well behaved and respectful children. But at that point I was a little overwhelmed and by myself with the two of them. I had no help, and the last thing I wanted is for anything to happen to my daughter.
    It has nothing to do with lack of love, or respect or control of the child.

You need to get off of your high horse.
    I don't have the need for them now, but I did that once and I'm certainly not going to judge anybody else who finds it works for their family.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I used a purple backpack one while in Disney & some other crowded places. It was very handy. I had her & she had some independence. Win Win situation...don't really care what you people think about it. It was awesome & more than one parent came up to me & asked if they could by one of those here. (at Disney) She didn't have to be STRAPPED IN A STROLLER all day either!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any of the "perfect" parents have ever used a playpen or a stair gate, or how about a safety plug? Pretty much the same idea as a harness which for the record is the only one of those things I have ever used.

I say do away with cribs. Cages are for animals, not babies.

bwah I think i love you.

I don't see how you can put a leash and a crib in the same category...However as a baby I slept on a bed not in a crib therefore a baby doesn't have to sleep in a crib so I don't know what that has to do with leashing your child. A crib is to keep the baby from rolling off when you are not in the room, you dont leash them to the crib...you are out you are there with the child, you train them to behave and watch them closely and hold their hand.

With a crib.. you are not in the room and the child is not restrained they are free to stand up and roll around, with a leash the child is retrained like a dog.

Crib--->baby...leash--->a todler old enough to take orders and listen!

so its like jail? in jail you can roll around and roam in your cell. (im a co-sleeper although i do not have a problem with cribs)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think we should just stop judging each other and tend to our own children.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any of the "perfect" parents have ever used a playpen or a stair gate, or how about a safety plug? Pretty much the same idea as a harness which for the record is the only one of those things I have ever used.

bwah I think i love you.

I don't see how you can put a leash and a crib in the same category...However as a baby I slept on a bed not in a crib therefore a baby doesn't have to sleep in a crib so I don't know what that has to do with leashing your child. A crib is to keep the baby from rolling off when you are not in the room, you dont leash them to the crib...you are out you are there with the child, you train them to behave and watch them closely and hold their hand.

With a crib.. you are not in the room and the child is not restrained they are free to stand up and roll around, with a leash the child is retrained like a dog.

justify it all you want but if you put your cousin in a crib you were being a horrible, horrible parent. Or if you weren't with him 24/7 & never let him leave your sight .(that's sarcasm by the way, I have a feeling you wont get it unless I make that clear)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    confession #2, the childproof caps & locked medicine cupboard were only because i was too stupid and lazy to teach them not to neck all the drugs.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

bwah I think i love you.

you're missing the big picture.
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those cute ones w/the monkey on the back for my 1st son...

It lasted ONE time..he was only about 2 at the time & threw the biggest tantrum with the thing on in front of a bunch of people,and that was it,lol..i was so embarrased that the "leash" never went back on,he wasn't allowed to roam alone by himself,so i think he was thinking cause he could walk freely that a "leash" wasn't attached to him,but there was..so he was REALLY mad,lol..i think back & laugh about it now,but OMG! it was a nightmare! :D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The thing is: Part of being two years old -- three or four, whatever -- is that you don't have restraint. Something exciting happens, you get excited, and all discretion goes out the window. It is part of being a baby. It is like a dog. You can have the best trained dog in the world, but a squirrel comes by and he forgets himself in a moment.
    You can say 'my child behaves.' But he or she doesn't if a distraction comes up. They simply do not have the capacity yet.
    Unless, they are in mortal fear of you.
    I have two boys, both teenagers, by the way.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Being that I also said I raised my cousin.... he was 2 when he came to live with me..:) I didn't have to leash him like an animal because I respected him as a human and held his hand unlike the ignorant person you seem to be.
    so you held onto him? you didn't rely on a firm tone of voice?

how is holding onto his hand morally superior to holding onto tether? your words not mine
    how is him having two hands free damaging him? he he was well behavened he wouldn't need a leash ;)
    how is him walking with one arm held up over his head better? I didn't have to hold his hand over his head lol so silly
    how is the tether harness different to the straps in a stroller? Never ever used a stroller :)
    how is it worse than tying him into a car seat? never used a car seat!

it is YOUR perception of a leash, not a universal truth.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of parents stuck to their computer screens this afternoon. This topic has been going on a while. Where are your children on a nice Saturday afternoon?
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    mines playing with knives in the kitchen.
  • dr_henninger
    Options
    Wow! This is a popular post! I also have 2 kids and I would never place either of them on a leash. I firmly believe it is a parent's responsibility to teach children to stay with and listen to their parents, especially when in public places. There are so many other ways to "restrain" a child in a manner that, to me, appear to be more humane (e.g., in strollers/rented wagons at zoos/amusement parks). I do acknowledge, however, that this may be an issue of individual and cultural differences. Individually, some children are more compliant than others. Our oldest son was not a runner, whereas we have to keep a constant eye/hand on our younger son who's a classic busy-body. Nonetheless, he's never been on a leash due to our personal beliefs. Culturally, when we lived in Germany, we saw children on leashes far more frequently than we ever have living in the states. Although I wouldn't do it to my kids, I guess it's safe to say "to each his own."
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    you're missing the big picture.

Funny because I think the samething about you and the pro-leashers
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Perfect. :) Juggling, I hope?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

yeah, but are they on a leash at least?
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Leashed up outside. I put a bowl of water out for them :/
    There are a lot of parents stuck to their computer screens this afternoon. This topic has been going on a while. Where are your children on a nice Saturday afternoon?
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    confession #2, the childproof caps & locked medicine cupboard were only because i was too stupid and lazy to teach them not to neck all the drugs.

horrible just horrible, i'm calling social services to report you for being lazy.:happy:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with someone using one if they have a kid that tends to run off or wander and get into trouble. Some places it can be very easy to lose your child that way. Why does it really matter how other's are raising their children when it comes to that? If I had kids and was worried about them running off at a theme park or other places then I might consider it. Not an everyday thing but I'd rather know they are safe than turn around for a second and them be gone. Thats great you don't believe in using a leash but it doesn't make another mother any less or greater because she does. How about we worry about how we are raising our own children than critisize other's ways? :laugh: