In ... weeks you'll weight ...

Options
Hello.
I've deleted my account a while ago and I remember when you completed your food diary, on the bottom of the page it said how much you'd weight in a couple weeks when you kept going like that. Now I'm back and I can't really find this information anymore.
It was pretty motivating so I was wondering, could somebody tell me where I can find it? :)

Replies

• naiharvest
    naiharvest Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I click on 'complete this entry' it doesn't show it
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    It works for me every night when I complete my entries for the day. It's not accurate, but it shows up.
  • PamPam1488
    PamPam1488 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unless you have under a 1000 calories entered. Then, you will get a message warning you to eat more. ;)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If the function isn't working when you click to complete the entry, email the support people and let them know. As for me my ticker is broken.... it's always something on this site.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Is it the app on an iPhone? I thought on my time line I seen people complaining that the updated app on iphone doesn't show that anymore. Am I wrong or did they fix that?
  • naiharvest
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Is it the app on an iPhone? I thought on my time line I seen people complaining that the updated app on iphone doesn't show that anymore. Am I wrong or did they fix that?

I'm using my laptop so I have no idea if it shows up on an iPhone.
    It's probably because it's under 1000 calories then, like PamPam1488 said, which is a bit silly. Why do people have to reach the 1000 to see how things are going?
    But oh well, thanks everyone for responding! :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    naiharvest wrote: »

It's probably because it's under 1000 calories then, like PamPam1488 said, which is a bit silly. Why do people have to reach the 1000 to see how things are going?

Because MFP doesn't advocate eating less than is required for minimal body function, and rightfully so. They do not need to create an atmosphere that encourages eating disorders.
  • naiharvest
    Options
    Think about the people who are here to gain weight. Their first daily goal is 900 calories let's say, so they aren't allowed to see how there progress is going, just because MFP doesn't want you to eat under 1000 calories? Allowing that doesn't mean you supper eating disorders.
    I don't think that's right. But alright.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Think about the people who are here to gain weight. Their first daily goal is 900 calories let's say, so they aren't allowed to see how there progress is going, just because MFP doesn't want you to eat under 1000 calories? Allowing that doesn't mean you supper eating disorders.
    I don't think that's right. But alright.

And how do you propose they determine who is eating low and attempting to increase and those who are utilizing it to mentally validate their VLCD? They have to cover their rears from a legal stand point, and eating below a certain amount is not recommended by NIH. End of story, like it or not.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Because at 1000 calories you're most likely depriving yourself of key nutrients. That's why MFP won't allow goals under 1200.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    why was the OP flagged?
  • naiharvest
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    why was the OP flagged?

That's what I was wondering too.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    why was the OP flagged?

That's what I was wondering too.

Because anyone eating 900 cals and need to see if they're gaining weight won't. If they want to gain weight they have to eat above their BMR before they begin to put the weight on. anything below a thousand calories only guarantees more weight loss and not weight gain. It's most likely why you were flagged.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Naiharvest you can just calculate this yourself if you like.

[(Maintenance - goal + daily deficit)x35]/3500 = weight loss expected

For example if your maintenance is (making up numbers) 2500 and you've set MFP to a 2 lb/week loss, and you eat 200 calories under your goal, then you should get:
    [(2500-1500) + 200) x 35]/3500 = 12 lbs of weight loss in 5 weeks

You can ignore the first part of the equation if you know what you've set MFP to; 2 lb/wk loss is 1000, 1 lb/week is 500. Then it becomes:

[(MFP goal + daily deficit)x35]/3500 = weight loss expected
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I recall it showing regardless of calorie amount...email support :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Because there's no way to predict your future weight if you consistently undereat. "If every day were like today, in 5 weeks you'll be in the hospital with a feeding tube".
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Your argument is invalid (re: someone recovering from ED) because the calculator isn't smart enough to know what each individual is going through. If anyone eats less than 1200 net calories per day (unless they're super short and sedentary), they're not eating enough food...period.

Also, it's just an estimate so nothing that anyone should really put too much faith behind. There are so many other factors out there like water weight bloating, irregular BMS, etc that can affect weigh ins. Weight loss or gain, is not linear.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I recall it showing regardless of calorie amount...email support :)
    Actually they changed this in August. Before that you would get a warning every time you ate less than 1200 calories, but still get your 5 week weight loss prediction. Now, if you eat (or at least log) less than 1000 calories it also breaks your reporting streak (which I find a little frustrating).

Overall, I think this is a good idea. Otherwise it just encourages people to eat less than a healthy amount. I've chosen to eat at night, instead of just letting it go, a few times because I knew my calories were under 1000, and I wanted my prediction (it isn't precisely accurate, but it is motivating).

If you and your doctor are on the same page about your calorie intake, then you might want to look into exercising off a few more calories so you can eat up to 1000 and remain in a deficit. The prediction depends on total calories, not net. 10 minutes of karate katas will give you an extra 100 calories to eat (you can look them up on youtube), or you could dance to a playlist for a half hour. Good luck, and good for you for coming back :D
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you eat under 1200 cals, it won't show you how much you'll weigh. I really like this feature. I think it's a good way to keep from encouraging under eating as a weight loss technique.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Dawmelvan wrote: »
    If you eat under 1200 cals, it won't show you how much you'll weigh. I really like this feature. I think it's a good way to keep from encouraging under eating as a weight loss technique.

+1