Trying to convince myself this is a good, yummy lunch..... :(

Options

Replies

• helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That's part of the problem.... I really don't like most vegetables, especially not fresh. The croutons, shredded cheese and bacon bits are about all I can stand in a salad - I don't even like any salad dressings. Can't stand tomatoes, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc. - I guess those are all acquired tastes that I never got. (It didn't help that my mom could make any food taste bad, and I am not kidding... even after my dad had a major stroke and couldn't move half his body, Thanksgiving was the one meal of the year mom wasn't allowed to ruin... ) But I digress. Trying to convince myself this is good & yummy.... and the fact that I two-and-a-half hours later, I was hungry again... is a challenge. Even the tuna was plain today (straight out of the can), although I do like a little bit of mayo or Miracle whip when I have it.
    -
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip is the Tool of the Devil. Ugh. Seriously.

Perhaps it is worth trying to acquire the taste for good fresh veggies.

Regardless your salad as pictured is not terribly nutritious. You are probably better off with something else than that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ice berg lettuce is horrible...

I eat garden salads regularly (homemade) and they generally consist of some mixed greens...actual greens (spinach, baby kale, chard, etc)...if there's lettuce and what not, it's the spring mix type or Romaine. Then I load it up with fresh cucumber and sliced grape tomatoes and top with some sweet red onion and whatever else I may feel like throwing on there...but I like to keep them relatively simple.

I'll then generally pile on about 4-6 ounces (cooked weight) of some kind of lean protein (or I'll serve it on the side depending) and slice up 1/2 an avocado...top with about 2 Tbsp of one of my many Bolthouse Farms kick *kitten* salad dressings and I'm good to go.

What you have pictured there is just sad...

Also, you don't have to eat salads. I eat them because it's a good way to pack my day full of vegetables as I like to get in about 4-6 true servings or more of vegetables and a couple servings of fruit...but there's a whole lot more to "healthy" than salads and celery sticks.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Miracle Whip is the Tool of the Devil. Ugh. Seriously.
    Kill it with fire.

I'd fix that salad up, honestly. First, iceberg? Naw, get some spring mix with some spinach, and double the weight.

Cut out the mozz, it's dumb. Tuna? Meh, I've been told people like tuna. If that's you, hit it.

Add in some good stuff though? Color. Pop. Good stuff!
    tomato, bell peppers, pickled asparagus, sprouts, peas.

I'd then hit it with some girard's champagne dressing and boom. BOOM.

• glevinso
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ice berg lettuce is horrible...

I eat garden salads regularly (homemade) and they generally consist of some mixed greens...actual greens (spinach, baby kale, chard, etc)...if there's lettuce and what not, it's the spring mix type or Romaine. Then I load it up with fresh cucumber and sliced grape tomatoes and top with some sweet red onion and whatever else I may feel like throwing on there...but I like to keep them relatively simple.

I'll then generally pile on about 4-6 ounces (cooked weight) of some kind of lean protein (or I'll serve it on the side depending) and slice up 1/2 an avocado...top with about 2 Tbsp of one of my many Bolthouse Farms kick *kitten* salad dressings and I'm good to go.

What you have pictured there is just sad...

Also, you don't have to eat salads. I eat them because it's a good way to pack my day full of vegetables as I like to get in about 4-6 true servings or more of vegetables and a couple servings of fruit...but there's a whole lot more to "healthy" than salads and celery sticks.

Yea... what this guy said. All of it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a nutrition teacher in college that called iceburg lettuce crunchy water. She'd never eat it because there was no nutrition to it.
    If you don't like salads eat something you do like - there's other healthy stuff out there.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'll white knight the iceberg.

You can't have a shrimp louis without iceberg.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of excellent ways to make your salad better (see above), but I think that since you don't care for vegetables... skip it. Eat what you like in your calorie goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, hon, this whole post makes me sad! If you don't like salads, you really don't have to eat them.

What kinds of things would you actually like to eat for lunch? Give us some suggestions and I'd bet money we can help you fit them into your calorie goals.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    my salads would have romaine lettuce, spinach, chicken breast that was cooked in cattleboys sauce, and some lightly stir fried mushrooms, peppers, and onions.....mmmmmm
  • dbmata
    Options
    OT

I had a burger and whiskey for lunch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will convince yourself. You haven't convinced anyone here that it is yummy.
    For 308 calories you could have had something that was actually tasty to you.
    Do some better planning. You might have to have a smaller portion of some things to fit your calorie goal but you can eat real food with actual flavor. Try herbs and spices to liven up recipes. A simple sandwich or wrap is fast to pack and doesn't have to be a big calorie bomb.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help with that one, I don't like salads much to start with and there is no way that would satisfy me. Iceberg lettuce is of no taste or value, so switch that out to start, get some good protein in there and some bright coloured veggies.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It sounds quite decent to me, but there has to be some kind of dressing, yes low cal and only a little, but man there has got to be some. Salad with no dressing makes me homicidal. lol I think the stuff I eat for lunch would make you cry... well it makes me cry sometimes lol. Work lunches have certain issues because the boss said no stinky tuna, and we have fridge thieves, etc, etc so it gets to where you're just finding some random low cal healthy crap with little to no scent that will take 4 hours of non refrigeration and throwing it in a bag! so um, I would trade. lol
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OT

They had whiskey at McDonald's?! :o I need to go where your McD's is at!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I can probably make u feel better with some details.... sometimes part of what I have is dry cheerios out of a bag... husband says this reminds him of Stewie Griffin. :P The other things are usually some carrots. an apple or a banana. a low fat string cheese stick. If I'm feeling woogy in the afternoon I have a packet of instant oatmeal using the hot water out of the industrial coffee thingy we have at work. Now, appreciate that tuna salad, dangit! lol :p
  • dbmata
    Options
    OT

They had whiskey at McDonald's?! :o I need to go where your McD's is at!!

Naw, this was a hoity toity place, where I could wash it down with bookers. Avocado, bacon, gorgonzola, and a hand chopped ribeye burger.

I'm happy. :)
  • Alyjacck
    Alyjacck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel like you should get the flavored tuna that comes in a pouch. Looks yummy to me.c:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Skip the salad and its fixings, add light mayo some veggies and eat it on bread, there much better, yes?
  • glevinso
    Options
    OT

Funny. That's my dinner last night...