Good Mornings help

Struggling a bit with these. I am finding I can get the bend to 90 degrees easily if I either, have a slight bend in my knees or do them pretty much unweighted.
To have enough weight on to feel my hamstrings etc working to do them I am then struggling to keep my legs straight and/or get to parallel with the floor.
Obviously this is a flexibilty issue which I need to look at but do I keep a decent weight on and work at getting flatter or do I drop the weight to next to nothing and creep it up really slow or do I keep the weight up and work on doing them with bent knees and work to straighten the knees????

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    bump for suggestions
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I never do good mornings with straight legs. I've always got a bend in them. I don't think I've ever seen them done like that and would think it could lead to injury. Even stiff leg deads are done with a slight bend.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Straight leg good mornings with weight are a nice stretch- they aren't meant to be done with heavy weight.

Heavy weight good mornings are to be done with a bend- most of the people I know are doing a deep bend- the bar path travels straight up and down- so your hips hinge- and your knees bend.

And if you are really bothered by all that- you can always do seated good mornings. Because that's a whole other world of ham string fun.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    There are many good demonstrative videos on you tube. I'll post a link later of the one I like best. It shows where to place the bar and the importance of not hunching. Proper form really helped me with these
  • roxylola
    Thanks folks I feel better about them now
    Heavy weight Good Mornings... Not sure mine would qualify for that, I am pretty new to them - about 10kgs on the bar so 30kg altogether! I do keep my back flat and don't hunch, the bar seems to sit pretty low I find. Video would be appreciated - I looked it up on one site or other that shows demos and it seemed to really emphasise the straight leg thing

And um seated, that sounds like a world of pain!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    slight bend in the knees is good.
  • JoRocka
    Look up people pushing 2-300 pounds doing good mornings- like men- not women. Women tend to stick to straight leg ones- we're talking moving some real weight around.
  • yoovie
    edited November 2014

• yoovie
    edited November 2014
  • yoovie
    oh crap = i thought you were saying, Look up on the thread, people, we are talking about using real amounts of weight! not tiny bits!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    I always do good mornings with a slight bend in the knee. I have always been under the impression that locking the knees with these was not good.
  • JoRocka
    yoovie wrote: »
    oh crap = i thought you were saying, Look up on the thread, people, we are talking about using real amounts of weight! not tiny bits!

LOL- no 95 is still solid- I mean you can straight leg 95 pounds- but (and this was a more directed at roxylola- but kind of a generic comment) if you look up folks on the interwebz doing heavy *kitten* weights- the mechanics are significantly different than what people think of when they first think of "good mornings"

like this
    http://youtu.be/BN2r7z-WKCY
  • roxylola
    I had a look at the youtube, I have a very strong pelvic tilt, I think that is part of why I need to bend at the knees. It concerns me less now though - you who know more than me seem to think it's par for the course so I shall just keep on keeping on!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I fear heavy weights.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited November 2014

You're welcome :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    PEE WEE HERMAN FITNESS!