I NEED to start working out in the AM before work. Help!

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Set more than one alarm, and have one the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed. I know you say you're trying to wean yourself off coffee, but you could keep a morning one. Get a coffee machine with a timer so it's ready for when your alarm goes off, so the smell of coffee will lure you out of bed :)

Alternatively you can borrow my young children....no chance of oversleeping then!

If you don't want to go in the morning, pack your gym stuff and take it to work with you, and go straight to the gym after work then there's no collapsing on the sofa.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    I agree with the routine comments. It really is about routine for me. My husband also asks me every day if I worked out. He is always kind and supportive; it's just a way to keep me accountable. I have had some bad weeks, but in two weeks, it will be one year of my new lifestyle which includes getting up at 4:30 or 5:00 to workout 5 days a week. it's a routine, so I feel icky not sticking to the plan.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    While I think that many people benefit from working out in the morning, I don't think that everyone can and feel good about it. Yes, it is easier to stick to once you get a routine going, but sometimes it's just easier to go with what your body says as far as timing.

You say that you can't get motivated to get to the gym after work--why don't you try working on THAT motivation and see if it works better?

Only you know what is best for you, but just because most people work out in the morning, don't let it make you feel like a failure if you're really struggling with it.
  • BritH24
    BritH24 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm in for giving this morning workout another shot! I did so well in the summer during wedding season, but as soon as the last wedding was over, I stopped. Ruined all of my hard work and now I'm right back where I started. Even putting in 10-20 minutes in the morning is better than nothing!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    what they said....you're the only one who can do it. Just decide, and do. Whether you really want to or not. The only workout you ever regret is the one you didn't do, so get up, get out, and do it! (Yes, I know it isn't easy...I need to get back to it too. thanks for MY kick in the butt!)
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    1. do you have a window facing east? ditch curtains.
    2. set the alarm and place it across the room
    3. if possible, wear some/all workout clothes to bed & prep everything beforehand so you can just stagger out the door within a few minutes
    4. see if anyone at the gym has the schedule you want and be workout partners?
    5. no tv/caffeine the night before
  • klassyketta
    klassyketta Posts: 29 Member
    like Nike said.... JUST DO IT
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    I completely understand and have the same issue. My whole life I have struggled with waking. I have great thoughts and intentions in the evening but when it comes to rolling out of bed in the morning the thought processes I had the night before are gone and in their place are thoughts of "there is just no way", and the snooze button is hit again. It is not until I am showered and driving to work that the fuzziness clears in my head and I again think about waking up earlier and how much I want it. I think we could benefit from a blend of the advice given here. I think we could get to bed a bit earlier, have an organized room and gear ready to go for the morning. On the other hand I think that some of us are simply not morning people and instead of fighting it maybe we should embrace it and move on.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    ya know what, I was saying this since I started at the gym on 1st september this year, finally one monday morning I was up at 5am, went down stairs to put the kids uniform in the dryer and thought "im up, i might as well do it"
    so I got sorted and was on the first bus of the day at 6.10am and at the gym for 6.30am.
    On the Tuesday again i was up and headed off to the gym.

those 2 days I felt great, it kicked started my day with a bang.......

On the wednesday I woke feeling really ill. I had a week with a very bad head cold followed by a week on antibiotics for a chest infection and have not been to the gym for 2weeks because of it :\

Im now better (almost, still a bt chesty but ok) and plan to get back at the gym in the mornings.

the only way your gonna do it is GET UP AND DO IT!!!

I know its not easy, it was very hard for me, I suffer from bad insomnia and usually dont get to sleep untill gone 3am so by the time I get to sleep being up for 5am just seems rediculous but I confident the more I do it and get in to the routine of it the better I will sleep and the easier it will become to be up and out first thing.

YOU CAN DO IT if you really want to!!
  • bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    youtube is full of 10 min. ab workouts get up do a 10 min workout this will help you develop a workout habit in the am.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Morning is great!! Gets the blood flowing, wakes you up, and fires up the metabolism for your day. Plus, after work, you can go home and just relax with cooking, cocktails, family/relationship time, boob tube viewing and not worry about a workout in the dark.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    morning workouts are great (I do my CV and BW work in the mornings). allows for doubles / weights in the evening.

seriously - walk / jog - just try something like that. doesn't have to be uber strenuous, but give it a try. yes, you have to go to bed early, but with good winding down time (others made awesome suggestions), you'll be fine.

signed,
    not a morning person, but has to it to ensure enough time to workout and exercise
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    you know what an amazing gift you can give yourself?

the morning.

The morning can be magical because so many people opt out of it in order to keep their eyes closed for another hour and then scramble off to work to start their day.

Imagine starting your day in a peaceful quiet house, where you can sit and sip coffee and read a little and have a nice little workout and a non-rushed breakfast. Imagine showing up to work already awake and mentally ready for the day that you started hours ago. It makes your job just something you do for awhile in the middle of the day.

And if you had that quiet 'me' time in the morning, and then you get to come home after work and have more time to get other stuff done. And your whole mood is evened out and you feel so productive and kickass before most of the world even rolls over and hits snooze.

That's a win you can carry with you all day.

It takes a little time to make it a habit, but once you sink your teeth in, you won't wanna part with your new mornings. :D
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    you know what an amazing gift you can give yourself?

the morning.

The morning can be magical because so many people opt out of it in order to keep their eyes closed for another hour and then scramble off to work to start their day.

Imagine starting your day in a peaceful quiet house, where you can sit and sip coffee and read a little and have a nice little workout and a non-rushed breakfast. Imagine showing up to work already awake and mentally ready for the day that you started hours ago. It makes your job just something you do for awhile in the middle of the day.

And if you had that quiet 'me' time in the morning, and then you get to come home after work and have more time to get other stuff done. And your whole mood is evened out and you feel so productive and kickass before most of the world even rolls over and hits snooze.

That's a win you can carry with you all day.

It takes a little time to make it a habit, but once you sink your teeth in, you won't wanna part with your new mornings. :D

AMEN.

Like the OP, I wanted to get going in the AM but for the longest time couldn't bring myself to do it...but then after a long work day, the thought of going to an overcrowded gym didn't appeal to me.

The only thing you can do is DO IT. After the first day, it gets easier.

I now wake at 4:55 AM, have a large black coffee, protein shake and banana, and leave for the gym at 5:45 AM. This gives me time to read, log my breakfast, check forums, get my gym stuff ready, etc.

Back home by 7, shower - my "fitness" day is done - work - then my evening is free - plenty of free time and absolutely NO guilt.

Down 7 lbs in 16 days thanks to hard morning workouts 4x/week and tracking my calories - and that's with 2 bad binge days last weekend due to some serious house parties.

Just commit, get up and do it. it's not hard, it's just in your mind.

• zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Just smash it mate you, will soon grow to love it
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Best thing I've found is to have a really annoying sounding alarm clock, and then place it at the opposite end of your bedroom. You'll need to get out of bed to shut it off, and that in itself may help.

Works for me anyway.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    thanks for the replies and messages! all great advice. I know its something that I just need to DO and once I'm in the habit it will get easier but it will be a big shift from night owl behaviors!

uncluttering my bedroom is a really great idea- I always feel more relaxed when it is clean.

I'm going to start slow with 9:30AM yoga tomorrow (not really early :P ) and then try and go one whole entire work week, M-F with SOME gym time in the morning, even if its just a ten minute run. Anyone who wants to join me in this endeavor shoot me a message!!

you dont have to be at work till 8.45 so you're going to do yoga at 9.30...?
  • I'm a big offender of this as well! I always end up doing evening workouts!
  • cocoguest
    cocoguest Posts: 11 Member
    Set the alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn it off. Have clothes laying right there by the bathroom so you see them as soon as you use it. Make a friend in the gym who notices when your not there and encourgages you to show up.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    I'm a big offender of this as well! I always end up doing evening workouts!

Im the same way..ive tried and tried and i cant do it..so afternoons it is...

however considering my day starts at 6:00 am...8:45 is late and mornings wouldnt be an issue then.