sunday morning trail "run" lol

Options
Wanted to share this mornings run to try to motivate people to get outside and enjoy it, even when it's cold and snowy as well as a place to put some pictures. 

We did a 5-5.5km run this morning. Really our Sunday runs are more a social event as we aren't exactly fast. Run from trail head to trail head and then wait for everyone to regroup, talk, laugh, and then go again :) I think in total it was around an hour and 20 minutes today for that distance, a distance I can run in 23 min or less lol. It was a lot harder going with the snow down with feet slipping etc and branches blocking the trail, but it was beautiful even at -6 celcius. It's the kind of place that changes every run, always different, but yet always seems to help you recenter, refocus, relax :) pictures don't do not justice.... and apparently I ramble more than I planned.....

Replies

• stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
  • stackhsc
    Options
  • stackhsc
    Options
  • stackhsc
    Options
  • stackhsc
    Options
    Sorry for the side ways pictures, not sure why they load that way
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Pictures - I love trail running I not very good at running and im not very fast and I don't care I will get better. I very much doubt if my version of trail running is the same as yours but The countryside is beautiful and you see the most beautiful things just last week I came across a herd of Deer and I found myself telling them not to move whilst I took a picture lol No snow here in England at the moment so no dramatic pictures just yet.
    -
    Thanks for sharing pictures are fab
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • stackhsc
    Options
    Beautiful I very much doubt if my version of trail running is the same as yours
    -
    Thanks for sharing pictures are fab

If it's not paved it's a trail lol. This trail is single track for the most part, deer path converted to mountain bike/hike/running trails. Lots of deer here too. Didn't see them today but saw loads of tracks
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Very nice! This post is making me reconsider a trail race in December . . .
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Wow gorgeous. Winter wonderland as I was sweltering in 38 degrees in Aussie yesterday!
  • stackhsc
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    Very nice! This post is making me reconsider a trail race in December . . .

Do it, you'll love it. look into things called micro spikes... i think kahtoola makes them, about 50-60 a pair, they are awesome for icy trails
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    So beautiful!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    How beautiful - though I'm so glad it's there and not here. :wink: I always wonder how do you stop your feet from getting snow covered and freezing?
  • stackhsc
    Options
    How beautiful - though I'm so glad it's there and not here. :wink: I always wonder how do you stop your feet from getting snow covered and freezing?

keep moving lol

They do get snow covered sometimes but generally the trails get hard packed in winter by snowshoers (sometimes we do that too after fresh deep snow to break trails) and if they are icy and packed we wear the micro spikes. If/when they get wet as long as you dont stop and let them get cold generally they just get cool but not painful or anything.
    Some trail shoes are waterproof/resistant too.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    stackhsc wrote: »

keep moving lol

They do get snow covered sometimes but generally the trails get hard packed in winter by snowshoers (sometimes we do that too after fresh deep snow to break trails) and if they are icy and packed we wear the micro spikes. If/when they get wet as long as you dont stop and let them get cold generally they just get cool but not painful or anything.
    Some trail shoes are waterproof/resistant too.

Thanks for the reply, that all makes sense, especially the not stopping and letting them get cold.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This is why treadmills are dumb.
  • stackhsc
    Options
    This is why treadmills are dumb.

Lol, yep, but i still log a lot of time on the treadmill. Some times due to family or work restrictions i just dont have the time to run outside but i can always hop on the tm for a quick 5 k. Here in the winter at -25 c and windchill on top at times, even if i had the time its not always pleasant outside lol

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    awesome! seeing that one pic that looked almost horizontal / sideways, that must have been one helluva hill!

:)