How is soup so filling yet so low in calories?

Options
I love to make easy chicken soup with egg noodles, water, chicken bullion, and green onions. I just ate 5 cups of soup and It was only 300 calories because of the 1 cup of noodles apparently. I'm so stuffed, I can hardly believe that this isn't cheating because of how over-satisfying and tasty it is! Is it wrong? Do noodles grow in calories as they cook? I feel like I just screwed up.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Did you use 1 cup dry or 1 cup cooked for the noodles?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Broth is pretty low in calories, usually about 25 calories per serving. 1 cup of noodles is usually somewhere in the vicinity of 200 calories. You're probably right with your calories estimation, but remember you also have to count the sodium. I'm not sure how much bouillion you used to make 5 cups of broth, but there's a lot of sodium in it. Also that's a lot to put in your stomach at one time, so you might want to spread that much out over a couple of meals.
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Well it was dry, then I cooked it... kind of a confusing question. Lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You should weigh the noodles dry, not measure them.
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Broth is pretty low in calories, usually about 25 calories per serving. 1 cup of noodles is usually somewhere in the vicinity of 200 calories. You're probably right with your calories estimation, but remember you also have to count the sodium. I'm not sure how much bouillion you used to make 5 cups of broth, but there's a lot of sodium in it. Also that's a lot to put in your stomach at one time, so you might want to spread that much out over a couple of meals.
    I have to count the sodium!? I'm in trouble.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You had a lot of water with those calories, hence why it was so filling. It is important to note if your measurement was for cooked or dry noodles though. soup is great though- I love it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have to count the sodium!? I'm in trouble.

No.
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »
    You had a lot of water with those calories, hence why it was so filling. It is important to note if your measurement was for cooked or dry noodles though. soup is great though- I love it.

The package tells the calories for dry noodles, so are they more or less cooked?
  • arditarose
    Options

The package tells the calories for dry noodles, so are they more or less cooked?

Your question doesn't make sense to me. If the package is for dry, then you weigh them-dry, and enter the dry calorie weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Did you measure 1 cup of noodles dry, or did you measure them cooked, it's not very confusing. When noodles are cooked they are larger in volume and heavier. If you measured the noodles as 1 cup dry before you put them in the soup, it's likely that amount of pasta was closer to 400 calories just by itself, so basically you have a measuring error. You should have weighed the pasta dry when counting the calories.
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Your question doesn't make sense to me. If the package is for dry, then you weigh them-dry, and enter the dry calorie weight.
    I meant are they more or less calories when they are cooked? By "dry" we are talking about uncooked, right?
  • SavanaNicole
    Options

Did you measure 1 cup of noodles dry, or did you measure them cooked, it's not very confusing. When noodles are cooked they are larger in volume and heavier. If you measured the noodles as 1 cup dry before you put them in the soup, it's likely that amount of pasta was closer to 400 calories just by itself, so basically you have a measuring error. You should have weighed the pasta dry when counting the calories.

So I should have weighed them instead of just measuring... whoops, I didn't know that.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I meant are they more or less calories when they are cooked? By "dry" we are talking about uncooked, right?

More! But that is based on weight because they weigh more. And yes, dry means uncooked.
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    So I should've essentially only had half a cup of noodles. Welp, I screwed that up.
  • sugarandopium
    sugarandopium Posts: 8
    edited November 2014
    Options
    carrot>celery>onion>garlic>stewed tomatoes>turkey sausage>kale>cannellini beans>chicken or vegetable broth>smoked paprika>salt/pepper

try it!

add brown rice or quinoa if you want, but even without any grains it's crazy filling for stupid low calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    So I should've essentially only had half a cup of noodles. Welp, I screwed that up.

Ahahaha. Yeah. Half cup of noodles (weighed!) is about 200 calories. It's okay! Add it to your food log and make adjustments next time.
  • sugarandopium
    sugarandopium Posts: 8
    edited November 2014
    Options
    but remember you also have to count the sodium. I'm not sure how much bouillion you used to make 5 cups of broth, but there's a lot of sodium in it.

that's the thing, bullion while so convenient and cost effective has silly amounts of sodium. : (
    but you can find low or no sodium broths in big cans on sale for a fairly decent pricing here and there.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate to weigh noodles than to measure them in a cup, because depending on their shape, a cup might have more or less air in it. According to the USDA nutrition database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6515), a cup of dry enriched egg noodles at 38 grams contains 146 calories. But if you broke the noodles up into smaller pieces, you could get more of them in a cup, and there would be more calories in the cup. Big puffy noodles, on the other hand, would have fewer calories per cup. But on a scale, a gram is a gram, regardless of volume.

Noodles don't gain calories when you cook them, unless you cook them in a liquid that contains fat that they absorb with the water. Your soup had very few calories other than the noodles: green onions have next to nothing, and a bouillon cube is only 15-20 calories.

The reason you feel full is that you just had a lot of water. You'd feel equally full if you drank 5 cups (1.25 quarts) of water. The question, though, is how long you feel full! I find that a little fat and protein makes soup last a lot longer. You could make egg-drop soup by taking your noodles, broth, and scallion soup and adding a beaten egg by slowly pouring it into the hot soup while stirring. If I didn't have leftover peanut-sweet potato stew warming up on the stove right now, I'd try that myself!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

When making soup, who measures and adds COOKED noodles? I mean, unless you buy cooked noodles? Isn't the per cup calories on dry noodles per cup of dry noodles, unless otherwise stated?

You don't need to count sodium. About 15% of people have hypertension and need to worry about it. Calories are not affected by sodium.

Barbara Rolls, PhD, did tests on soup vs. the same ingredients consumed as non-soup-- with an equal size glass of water as the liquid in the soup. People were more satiated by the soup than the identical ingredients not cooked together as a soup. Soup is more filling than a bowl of noodles and vegetables and a glass of water!

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's the water that helps fill you up.