How is soup so filling yet so low in calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This was fun to read, thank you.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe if you were old enough to be on here, you would know this...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe if you were old enough to be on here, you would know this...

zing
  • SavanaNicole
    Options
    That's the thing, how would I find out if I didnt come here?
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options

www.google.com

• SavanaNicole
    Options
    Nobody had an issue with the question until certain suspicious of my being underage had occurred.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Talk to your mom, dad, caregiver, take a cooking class...... The options are numerous!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Nobody had an issue with the question until certain suspicious of my being underage had occurred.

Um actually, if you look at the majority of the replies, there was much incredulousness over the question...regardless of your age.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Did you use 1 cup dry or 1 cup cooked for the noodles?

Well it was dry, then I cooked it... kind of a confusing question. Lol

Did you measure 1 cup of noodles dry, or did you measure them cooked, it's not very confusing. When noodles are cooked they are larger in volume and heavier. If you measured the noodles as 1 cup dry before you put them in the soup, it's likely that amount of pasta was closer to 400 calories just by itself, so basically you have a measuring error. You should have weighed the pasta dry when counting the calories.

When making soup, who measures and adds COOKED noodles? I mean, unless you buy cooked noodles? Isn't the per cup calories on dry noodles per cup of dry noodles, unless otherwise stated?

You don't need to count sodium. About 15% of people have hypertension and need to worry about it. Calories are not affected by sodium.

Barbara Rolls, PhD, did tests on soup vs. the same ingredients consumed as non-soup-- with an equal size glass of water as the liquid in the soup. People were more satiated by the soup than the identical ingredients not cooked together as a soup. Soup is more filling than a bowl of noodles and vegetables and a glass of water!

^ Yes.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Did you measure 1 cup of noodles dry, or did you measure them cooked, it's not very confusing. When noodles are cooked they are larger in volume and heavier. If you measured the noodles as 1 cup dry before you put them in the soup, it's likely that amount of pasta was closer to 400 calories just by itself, so basically you have a measuring error. You should have weighed the pasta dry when counting the calories.

When making soup, who measures and adds COOKED noodles? I mean, unless you buy cooked noodles? Isn't the per cup calories on dry noodles per cup of dry noodles, unless otherwise stated?

You don't need to count sodium. About 15% of people have hypertension and need to worry about it. Calories are not affected by sodium.

Barbara Rolls, PhD, did tests on soup vs. the same ingredients consumed as non-soup-- with an equal size glass of water as the liquid in the soup. People were more satiated by the soup than the identical ingredients not cooked together as a soup. Soup is more filling than a bowl of noodles and vegetables and a glass of water!

^ Yes.

I wonder if the glass of water was hot or not.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

^ Yes.

No, I believe it was just an ordinary glass of water.

"Water in food is chemically different than water taken as a beverage," says Rolls. "It leaves the stomach more slowly." And added water may also help people feel fuller because they are conditioned to judge the "appropriateness" of portion sizes. "The serving of soup just looks bigger," Rolls says, "so the brain, as well as the stomach, is satisfied." Rolls substantiated this theory with another study. She and her students incorporated varying amounts of air into milkshakes by blending. The researchers found that the more air, the bigger the shake—and the less subjects ate during the following meal.

http://news.psu.edu/story/140585/2000/05/01/research/eat-water-lose-weight
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

^ Yes.

No, I believe it was just an ordinary glass of water.

"Water in food is chemically different than water taken as a beverage," says Rolls. "It leaves the stomach more slowly." And added water may also help people feel fuller because they are conditioned to judge the "appropriateness" of portion sizes. "The serving of soup just looks bigger," Rolls says, "so the brain, as well as the stomach, is satisfied." Rolls substantiated this theory with another study. She and her students incorporated varying amounts of air into milkshakes by blending. The researchers found that the more air, the bigger the shake—and the less subjects ate during the following meal.

http://news.psu.edu/story/140585/2000/05/01/research/eat-water-lose-weight

The reason I asked is because a glass of warm water seems to make feel fuller, while a glass of cold water seems to quench thirst better.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree! I think Rolls claims there's more to it than that, even. I notice a lot of fasters use broth, which does seem to help stave off hunger.