DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie just as a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Eat what you want. Eat at a deficit. Enjoy food and enjoy life.

Honestly. I eat healthy most meals, but sometimes I want a snack or treat and I eat it without guilt. It fits into my daily calorie goal and that's that.

If you want cake, eat cake. If you want a carrot, eat a carrot. End of story. You will see results if you eat at a deficit.

thanks

muffinsandcakes this site raised the same questions in my mind. After reading The Calorie Myth by JB this week I got a better understanding. Not sure I agree with him on all points but I do appreciate his 12 years of researching scientific studies on dieting. I did not know about the role of hormones to lose weight and keep it off for the next forty years. There are enough reviews to get peoples pros and cons and some info.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-calorie-myth-jonathan-bailor/1116537829?ean=9780062267337

Jonathan Bailor is a joke in the fitness community, he got destroyed by Alan Aragon and Layne Norton among a few others
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FviIXAvUj_U
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-problem-with-calorie-myth-smarter.html

Clearly you have not read The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and watched the Youtube you posted. Man you need to get serious if you are going to slam science with a youtube video of that quality.
    Looking at your post history you are clearly confused. You need to get your money back from that book and buy a Biochemistry or Medical Physiology textbook you might actually learn something

Off topic, but how do you see post history on this new format?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/comments/user#/username

Thanks!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Honestly. I eat healthy most meals, but sometimes I want a snack or treat and I eat it without guilt. It fits into my daily calorie goal and that's that.

If you want cake, eat cake. If you want a carrot, eat a carrot. End of story. You will see results if you eat at a deficit.

thanks

muffinsandcakes this site raised the same questions in my mind. After reading The Calorie Myth by JB this week I got a better understanding. Not sure I agree with him on all points but I do appreciate his 12 years of researching scientific studies on dieting. I did not know about the role of hormones to lose weight and keep it off for the next forty years. There are enough reviews to get peoples pros and cons and some info.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-calorie-myth-jonathan-bailor/1116537829?ean=9780062267337

Jonathan Bailor is a joke in the fitness community, he got destroyed by Alan Aragon and Layne Norton among a few others
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-problem-with-calorie-myth-smarter.html

Clearly you have not read The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and watched the Youtube you posted. Man you need to get serious if you are going to slam science with a youtube video of that quality.
    Looking at your post history you are clearly confused. You need to get your money back from that book and buy a Biochemistry or Medical Physiology textbook you might actually learn something

Where do you find user #?!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    essentially it boils down to this..

calorie deficit for weight loss..

macro nutrient adherence for body recomposition and over all health...

^^THIS and now we should end this thread
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

thanks

Where do you find user #?!

Quote them

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Bingo.

This is why all cars and trucks get the same MPG's in the USA. :)

A calorie is a calorie when outside of the body but when it goes into the body the brain and related hormones, etc will decide what that calorie will do, where it will go and how efficient it may do that.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Bingo.

A calorie is a calorie when outside of the body but when it goes into the body the brain and related hormones, etc will decide what that calorie will do, where it will go and how efficient it may do that.

Oh for goodness sake… ENOUGH. You need to take a college-level physics and biochemistry course.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2014
    Options

thanks

there you go again …posting pseudo science….

ndj if you read the end notes in the book you would quickly realize the level of your pseudo post. A man working at Microsoft who spent 12 years researching The Calorie Myth on his own time could be wrong but when you take the time to stop typing and start reading you will see the work he quotes is in no way pseudo science.

Do not get your self in legal trouble making public statements about a book you have not read in case you are put on a witness stand to support you demeaning public remark about the author's work and those whom he quotes.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Bingo.

Oh for goodness sake… ENOUGH. You need to take a college-level physics and biochemistry course.

I did that. What is your point?

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

thanks

ndj if you read the end notes in the book you would quickly realize the level of your pseudo post. A man working at Microsoft who spent 12 years researching The Calorie Myth on his own time could be wrong but when you take the time to stop typing and start reading you will see the work he quotes is in no way pseudo science.

Do not get your self in trouble making public statements about a book you have not read in case you are put on a witness stand to support you demeaning public remark about the author's work and those whom he quotes.
    Lol, what? Trouble by who?

Don't get into a sticky situation!

4c50909ce085a6be712154dc1d0cbbc8.jpg

• GaleHawkins
    Options

thanks

Do not get your self in trouble making public statements about a book you have not read in case you are put on a witness stand to support you demeaning public remark about the author's work and those whom he quotes.

That is was in the post you quoted.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Bingo.

I did that. What is your point?

My point is that you do not understand that calories in > calories out results in weight gain and calories in < calories out results in weight loss.

You CANNOT "stuff your face" with an unlimited amount of protein and fat and maintain your weight nor lose weight. When you eat in a caloric surplus, you GAIN weight. So your "theory" that you can eat as much protein and fat as you want but still lose weight is utter bullcrap.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I suppose you could eat 4 slices of 350-cal. cake a day to lose weight... You might need to eat a lot of nuts though because most cakes and muffins don't include much protein in them. :p

To answer the question: A calorie is a calorie.

shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/11-crazy-delicious-desserts-hidden-healthy-foods/slide/all

3mkdk9ivr90h.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Essentially, there are no special snowflakes. The laws of thermodynamics work the same for everyone. There are some things which can further complicate the functioning of those laws, such as outliers in the bell curve of basic metabolic rate for the population, or medical problems. But that doesn't negate the basic laws.

A calorie is a calorie. Period.

Nutrients, both macro and micro, and certainly have a profound effect on health, but that does not negate the fact that a calorie is a calorie.

The only way you could possibly prove that a calorie isn't a calorie is if you could find some combination of food, or eliminate or add some food, that would allow you to eat MORE than you burn each day, and not gain weight, with no confounding medical issues to explain it.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

thanks

Don't get into a sticky situation!

4c50909ce085a6be712154dc1d0cbbc8.jpg

TAURUS1.gif
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    essentially it boils down to this..

calorie deficit for weight loss..

macro nutrient adherence for body recomposition and over all health...
    I repeat myself---^^THIS--its all that matters--end this stupid thread
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If a calorie IS NOT a calorie, then I would suggest seeing a doctor.