I'm weaker one side

Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
I have noticed, on single leg presses, that my right leg is significantly weaker than my left

Which made me measure and I have about an inch difference in thigh /calf diameter

I'm surprised because I'm right-side dominant so assumed it would be the other way

How does one equalise that? Do you work the right side more until it catches up or just keep training?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Since I blew out my shoulder - I've noticed my entire left side of my upper body is weaker than my right. My solution: training with dumbbells as opposed to barbells for the next month until it catches up. But i'm also interested in other ideas - so bump
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Left side for me. Depends on the exercise but just exercising that side is a solution. Lots of the exercises can be used to adapt to just one side arm/leg. See people in the gym doing it all the time.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I noticed today on my reverse flys and kneeling rows that my right arm is slightly weaker. Not by much but enough for me to notice that the lift isn't as smooth on flys and burns more on rows.
    But it's not so surprising since I'm left handed. I carry things in my left hand. Giant purse, heavy groceries, heavy piles at work. So I guess my left side is always getting those little extra workouts day in and day out which would account for the slight imbalance.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    a cousin of mine had smth like this , the trainer asked her to do twice the exercise on her weaker leg and use twice weight dumbbell on her weaker side, but always work both sides. not saying its gonna change the length , but definitely gonna make the weaker side more equal strength wise.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm surprised because I'm right-side dominant so assumed it would be the other way

Sometimes these things can happen from old injuries. Anyway, yes, it's ok to do a little extra on the weaker side. Don't overtrain it though, and do expect slow progress. I do a few extra reps of single-leg squats on the weaker side, and i also make a conscious effort to initiate movements with the weaker leg on things like climbing stairs.. otherwise my stronger side wants to take the lead.

• Sued0nim
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Sometimes these things can happen from old injuries. Anyway, yes, it's ok to do a little extra on the weaker side. Don't overtrain it though, and do expect slow progress. I do a few extra reps of single-leg squats on the weaker side, and i also make a conscious effort to initiate movements with the weaker leg on things like climbing stairs.. otherwise my stronger side wants to take the lead.

And only when you say that do I recall that I broke that leg in 3 places about 25 years ago ...it healed perfectly so completely slipped my mind :blush: Thank you for the nudge

I think a few extra reps is good advice .
  • matchsetgame
    matchsetgame Posts: 11 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

And only when you say that do I recall that I broke that leg in 3 places about 25 years ago ...it healed perfectly so completely slipped my mind :blush: Thank you for the nudge

I think a few extra reps is good advice .

I am getting over a couple of major knee injuries and am in the same boat. I've found the biggest results using the TRX at my gym. I'm able to target muscle groups better and I have noticed that's the best for me.
    Sounds like people here have had great advice.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    I would suggest letting your week side dictate weight and reps. For a bit (until weak side catches up) start with the weak side. It shouldn't take long for the weak side to catch up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    dinosnopro wrote: »
    I would suggest letting your week side dictate weight and reps. For a bit (until weak side catches up) start with the weak side. It shouldn't take long for the weak side to catch up.

brain hurts
  • dinosnopro
    arditarose wrote: »

brain hurts

Sorry. Replying in the MFP mobile app.

Will edit to try and help with your headache.
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

brain hurts

Sorry. Replying in the MFP mobile app.

Will edit to try and help with your headache.

lol it's okay, I got the idea.
  • dinosnopro
    And they have not given us that option in the app. yet. My fat finger don't help much either lol
  • arditarose
    And they have not given us that option in the app. yet. My fat finger don't help much either lol

I'm going to sound so stupid here but...I didn't even know you could access the forums through the app, so you're already one step ahead of me.
  • dinosnopro
    It only took them a several years and a large infusion of cash.....
  • dinosnopro
    Not to hack this thread, but on your home screen in the app.(android version) in the upper left corner there are three white lines. click on those and it opens an options menu.
  • dinosnopro
    *hijack
  • Sued0nim
    good hijack - I didn't know that either :smile:

I find it interesting that I only realised now, 6 months into training, when the weight increased to a certain level - it's like it hasn't adapted as quickly as the left side as in the weakness wasn't noticeable earlier
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Same thing for me. I always struggle a bit more on side, and feels more sore afterward, And my thighs have a full inch difference in diameter ( it may still be too early for my brain, did I spell that right?). I have never had any major injuries, but I do have scoliosis which kind throws my whole body out of symmetry(again I have no idea, need more coffee). I noticed the other day during some ab exercises that one side of my pelvis doesn't lay flush against the floor and I have to concentrate to push it down
  • I had a stroke when I was a child and my right side is about 20-25% weaker than my left. I weight lift and you can really tell when I bench because the bar will dip (same with squats) but I still work both sides. I'm much more cognizant of what limitations I have with my right side when doing dumbell presses and things like that because I'll think I'm fine and my arm will just give out if it becomes over tired.