sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for excellent advice.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    robinrows wrote: »
    There is a lot of info on the concept II website on technique. A few things that might help though. This advice is based on a concept 2 rower, different rowers displays/resistance etc may vary.

Resistance – you don’t need to have it on maximum, and a lot of rowers have it much lower. Look it up on concept II website – it’s quite a long topic!

There’s a lot of discussion in concept 2 on pace. I have found I tend to settle to a pace around 30 spm (there are plenty who advocate a lower pace). However, you can row at 30 spm and take it easy, and row at the same pace and be completely exhausted. The key is the legs, and the amount of effort you put into the stroke.

So, row at you normal pace, but look at the 500m pace indicator. Taking it easy it will be high, say 2:30 min per 500m. Now row at the same pace and concentrate on pushing with your legs. You should see the 500m pace come down, and the sweat starting!
    I hope this helps.

This is all relative, though. I row faster than a 2:30/500m pace, but I've been incorporating rowing into my routine for more than a year. But, there was a time when 2:30 was what I did. And, if I'm rowing 2,000m, I'll probably hit a 2:30 pace somewhere in there.

You can't really arbitrarily throw out a time pace and say that it's "taking it easy" because it may not be depending on the experience and fitness of the rower.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, 2:30 was just an example of the 500m pace hence the "say", all I was trying to indicate was that you need to look at the 500m pace and then compare your "normal" rowing to when you put effort in, particularly with the legs.

I don't do 2:30 pace btw ;)
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I belong to a rowing club. We were taught to use the damper on 4 as that is similar to racing conditions, and a stroke rate of around 22 spm. Counting one for the stroke and coming up the slide for a count of three leads to good boat run.

I have seen a lot of people in gyms using poor form, so I would suggest you ensure your form is correct to avoid injury and get the best out of your workout. Finally the 500 split time is the thing I try to improve each time. For me, 2:30/500m is comfortable when rowing 5-6km.

I use a HRM to keep me honest.
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I belong to a rowing club. We were taught to use the damper on 4 as that is similar to racing conditions, and a stroke rate of around 22 spm. Counting one for the stroke and coming up the slide for a count of three leads to good boat run.

I have seen a lot of people in gyms using poor form, so I would suggest you ensure your form is correct to avoid injury and get the best out of your workout. Finally the 500 split time is the thing I try to improve each time. For me, 2:30/500m is comfortable when rowing 5-6km.

I use a HRM to keep me honest.

Thanks. Very helpful. I guess I'll get the hang of it eventually.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I read rowing, as Rowling and got seriously offended. #potterhead.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    rowing strapless will also help your form. This forces you to drive with the legs
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    Strapless, add in no foot strap? How do to pull / slide yourself forward?
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    Well, I tried it again, tried to follow the advice, and I'm still not getting it. I think I'm going back to other machines until I csn get some coaching.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Strapless, add in no foot strap? How do to pull / slide yourself forward?

leg power. if you aren't able to pull the cable back strapless then you aren't engaging your legs properly.You need to drive harder at the catch using just leg muscles.
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    Do you push from your heels or the balls of your feet?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Rowing is an excellent workout.