Fasting help?

Options
So, I'm wondering if it's safe to fast, if you're morbidly obese. I weigh 355 pounds male and 6 foot 2. And for how long if safe?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Set your MFP app to "sedentary" and "2 pounds a week" and I promise you the first few days will feel like fasting. And you can keep that up as long as you need to because it's safe.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your complete medical history and having a medical degree, I don't think anyone here can tell you what is safe. You should consult with a physician.
  • harveyj_88
    harveyj_88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you've got Netflix watch, 'fat, sick and nearly dead' absolutely brilliant film, they fasted and the results were brilliant but get checked out by a doctor first to say it's safe to do so.

Bloke was 414 lb and in one week he'd lost 25lb
    Basically 3 shakes a day of veg and fruit
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    what harvey said, great documentary, it's basically a really high nutrient diet that lets your body rest and heal. I've juiced in the past and had great results, even if you juice for a couple of meals instead of eating you will see a difference really fast!
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you want to lose weight through fasting the you may want to reconsider. The weight loss may not last after you finish fasting. Fasting comes in different method and weight loss can backfire. Fasting for a few days would probably not hurt people who are healthy, provided they don't get dehydrated. But long periods of fasting is bad for you. Your body needs vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients from food to stay healthy. If you decide to continue you must then have supplements to keep your body supplied with the right amount of nutrients needed.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    harveyj_88 wrote: »
    If you've got Netflix watch, 'fat, sick and nearly dead' absolutely brilliant film, they fasted and the results were brilliant but get checked out by a doctor first to say it's safe to do so.

Bloke was 414 lb and in one week he'd lost 25lb
    Basically 3 shakes a day of veg and fruit

Your time would be better spent reading some of the stickied threads in this forum than watching that piece of garbage infomercial.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You want to lose your weight slowly. It will be easier to maintain your eating habits.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a crash diet, and in the end will cause zero results unless you make a change to your actual caloric intake. You might make it through a few torturous days of not eating, but then you'll go right back to your same bad eating habits, and be right back to where you were by the next week.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    riverq1 wrote:
    So, I'm wondering if it's safe to fast, if you're morbidly obese. I weigh 355 pounds male and 6 foot 2. And for how long if safe?
    At that height, you should be 145 - 190.
    BMI chart
    You're probably currently eating 3550 cal / day to maintain your weight.
    To maintain a healthy weight (aim for 190 to start), eat 1900.
    Since that's more than 2 lb / week (1000 cal / day) from where you are now, start there: 2550.
    When you hit a plateau for a couple weeks, drop another 50 - 100 cal so you start losing again. Nudge it down until you get to a healthy level (1900).

As for fasting, it's already been said: a couple days won't hurt most healthy people, as long as you're drinking lots of water. Beyond that, it's probably a bad idea. Check with your doctor.

Read these:
    sexypants
    you're eating more than you think

51637601.png
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    DO NOT FAST. Alright?

If you fast, all it will accomplish is you'll be miserable and more likely to binge. Also, you know, if you do it for too long, it could hurt or kill you. So don't. Just use this website as designed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. This is about making a lifestyle change, so the loss is sustainable.