skippysells Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When Jimi Hendrix died
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    sheldonz42 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Obviously people are using different definitions of "chemical".

Claiming victory on pedantic grounds is the last resort of the conversationally defeated.

Right. The scientific one and the belief one.

Everybody on here is using the belief one.

Especially those who believe they are using the scientific one.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    As far as diet goes, I think it became a bad word when man starting f'n with the food supply by adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food.

You mean like when Native Americans would add salt to meat when drying it to better preserve it? (just an example)

No, not really. I wouldn't consider personal preservation of food as f'n with the food supply. I was referring more to mass production.

So, more like adding chlorine to mass water supplies to make city drinking water safe.

Oh, you are just trying to be argumentative. I get it. I never said all chemical additions were bad. I just answered the OP's question. Also, not sure water supply and food supply are the same things.

But basically yeah, it starts with added chlorine, then another chemical, then another, some of which are quite controversial.

My point is the same as OP's - "chemical" is not a bad word. At least it shouldn't be. And I will add that just because something is man-made doesn't make it bad.

If the OP's point was that "chemical" is not a bad word, then the subject line seems kind of nonsensical. ;)

Did you even read the OP's post after the subject line? He is saying that water is a chemical. So, if you are one of the folks who subscribe to the idea that "chemical" is a bad word, you need to rethink your stance or get some education. The idea that "chemical" is a bad word IS nonsensical.

Yes, I saw it. I don't think any words are bad. Words are just a means of communication. Some chemicals are bad, some are good. But, I also don't pretend that I think people are talking about the chemical makeup of water or an apple when they say they prefer that their food is not laden with chemicals, or that I think people who make comments like that are stupid. I don't see the point of that.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Claiming victory on pedantic grounds is the last resort of the conversationally defeated.

You're absolutely right. However, good luck convincing me that water is not a chemical by any definition, as water can be both naturally occuring and derived by man from other things.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I dunno - there's a thread still going in which someone was convinced that sodium bicarbonate was toxic...

It is. You can overdose on it.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/baking-soda-overdose
    "Some athletes and coaches believe that drinking baking soda prior to competition helps a person perform for longer periods of time. This is extremely dangerous, and in addition to side effects, it actually makes the athletes unable to perform."

Oh come on. It has an LD50 higher than table salt. 4220mg/kg.
    That's a lot of sodium bicarb...
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    dansls1 wrote: »
    I hope it's not a bad word - otherwise I can't tell my son what type of engineering degree I have...

Oh - and while we are at it, can somebody please explain to the non-GMO crowd that you have never eaten a naturally occuring ear of corn in your lifetime, and likely have not eaten a natural variety of tomato in your life; because they have been cross-bred for so long.

So no, it is not entirely the same. Also Monsanto has made it illegal to reharvest the seeds from your GMO produce so the farmers are forced to keep purchasing their seeds every year.

I personally prefer heirloom vegetables whose seeds I can harvest and replant every year.

Monsanto patented their seeds, just like any other company would patent an original product, and farmers are not forced to choose Monsanto products, there are plenty of other seed companies to choose from.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Did you even read the OP's post after the subject line? He is saying that water is a chemical. So, if you are one of the folks who subscribe to the idea that "chemical" is a bad word, you need to rethink your stance or get some education. The idea that "chemical" is a bad word IS nonsensical.

I'm not sure anyone is saying it's a bad word except for the OP. So what if someone prefers to not eat food that has FD&C Yellow #5 or Red Dye #5 in it (seriously, when did YOU ever pick fruit from one of those trees)? No one is debating the fact that chemicals are in everything around us in the world they are merely saying that there ARE chemicals that can be potentially harmful to you. If you think all chemicals are fine and dandy then by all means. Go drink a bottle of Clorox or Lysol.

ETA: And if you really and truly think that there is no harm in chemicals (in food or otherwise) then go tell that to my friend who is now severely allergic to ANYTHING that has chemicals in it due to using oil based paint that she is on a respirator and house-bound. Anything can cause a severe and potentially deadly reaction.
  • moremuffins
    Options

How about the Webster's dictionary definition?

1: of, relating to, used in, or produced by chemistry or the phenomena of chemistry <chemical reactions>
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

How about the Webster's dictionary definition?

1: of, relating to, used in, or produced by chemistry or the phenomena of chemistry <chemical reactions>
    Pffft, pure belief!
  • moremuffins
    Options

I'm not sure anyone is saying it's a bad word except for the OP. So what if someone prefers to not eat food that has FD&C Yellow #5 or Red Dye #5 in it (seriously, when did YOU ever pick fruit from one of those trees)? No one is debating the fact that chemicals are in everything around us in the world they are merely saying that there ARE chemicals that can be potentially harmful to you. If you think all chemicals are fine and dandy then by all means. Go drink a bottle of Clorox or Lysol.

My point is that the word "chemical" in relation to what we consume has this stigma that it's toxic and bad for you, which just isn't true. It's misleading and inaccurate and screams "Hey I'm preaching about something that I know nothing about!"
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

ETA: And if you really and truly think that there is no harm in chemicals (in food or otherwise) then go tell that to my friend who is now severely allergic to ANYTHING that has chemicals in it due to using oil based paint that she is on a respirator and house-bound. Anything can cause a severe and potentially deadly reaction.

I wish I could count the times I have read in things in the forums like "I eat chemical-free food" or "I try to avoid chemicals in my food." Sure, I know what they mean, but is just sounds so incredibly stupid.

I think I have had enough internet for today.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

My point is that the word "chemical" in relation to what we consume has this stigma that it's toxic and bad for you, which just isn't true. It's misleading and inaccurate and screams "Hey I'm preaching about something that I know nothing about!"

Then what would you call something that is chemically produced in a lab?

• dbmata
    Options

Artisinally crafted and gluten free.
    I'd bet you I'll make a lot of money that way too.
  • FredDoyle
    edited November 2014
    Options

Whatever the chemical's name is?
    Chemicals are really described by their properties like boiling and melting points, pH, whether they are ionic salts or organic molecules, as well as how they react with other chemicals.
  • moremuffins
    edited November 2014
    Options

A chemical. I think you are missing my point. Basically everything, when you get down to a certain level, is made up of chemicals. So why do people use the word with such a negative connotation?
  • moremuffins
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Better share those millions with those who inspired the idea!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Seriously, where is the like button?!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

A chemical. I think you are missing my point. Basically everything, when you get down to the chemical composition level, is a chemical. So why do people use the word with such a negative connotation?

Everything is not a chemical. Some things are comprised of many chemicals.

Just sayin', since we are being picky about words. :p
  • FredDoyle
    Options

A chemical. I think you are missing my point. Basically everything, when you get down to the chemical composition level, is a chemical. So why do people use the word with such a negative connotation?

Because enough science isn't taught in school any more. People are more scientifically illiterate. It shows big time on MFP.
  • dbmata
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Seriously, where is the like button?!
    Use the flag button. It's our version of like in MFP land. ;)