When did 'chemical' become a bad word?

Options

Replies

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    All the so called food documentaries that create fear amongst people. They show half truths twist researches and create panic.
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When Monsanto develops a plant that can absorb herbicides without being harmed. That is really really bad.

This takes things into a whole different arena. There are a whackload of different kinds of herbicides that target different parts of a plant. Not all plants have the target parts, so you have to use a specific herbicide to deal with a specific type of plant. That's how you get broad-spectrum vs narrow-spectrum pesticides.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    sheldonz42 wrote: »
    As far as diet goes, I think it became a bad word when man starting f'n with the food supply by adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food.

You mean like when Native Americans would add salt to meat when drying it to better preserve it? (just an example)

No, not really. I wouldn't consider personal preservation of food as f'n with the food supply. I was referring more to mass production.

So, more like adding chlorine to mass water supplies to make city drinking water safe.
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    As far as diet goes, I think it became a bad word when man starting f'n with the food supply by adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food.

You mean like when Native Americans would add salt to meat when drying it to better preserve it? (just an example)

I love this point. People don't seem to realize how much chemicals and genetic engineering have helped us to live longer and to sustain our increasing population. Basically, we have it so good that we have to make things up to worry about.

And me without a "like" button...
  • moremuffins
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I dunno - there's a thread still going in which someone was convinced that sodium bicarbonate was toxic...

Haha it is fun to mix with acetic acid though
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Or how about adding seasonings to your soup? When it comes right down to it, any and all forms of cooking that involve more than one ingredient are "adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food".

• renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Can't read it - don't eat it started in the 70's. I'll agree some chemicals aren't bad, some are very harmful and unnecessary in our food.
    Do you need a carcinogenic orange dye in pumpkin spice that is going to be pumped into an overpowering dark cup of coffee, even at a tiny (non-harmful) amount it's still not needed.
  • moremuffins
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Or how about adding seasonings to your soup? When it comes right down to it, any and all forms of cooking that involve more than one ingredient are "adding chemicals that weren't naturally in the food".

Even with one ingredient you will find chemicals. Grab a potato. You have starch there. That's a chemical.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I dunno - there's a thread still going in which someone was convinced that sodium bicarbonate was toxic...

They will freak out when they learn that their own pancreas has exocrine functions that include the release of bicarbonate ions to help the pH of the incoming food in their small intestines.

And for that matter digestion must be insanely terrible... all that HCl... damn you Hydrochloric Acid!!! *shakes fist*

• moremuffins
    Options
    renku wrote: »
    Can't read it - don't eat it started in the 70's. I'll agree some chemicals aren't bad, some are very harmful and unnecessary in our food.
    Do you need a carcinogenic orange dye in pumpkin spice that is going to be pumped into an overpowering dark cup of coffee, even at a tiny (non-harmful) amount it's still not needed.

Not being able to read it is not a good excuse to not consume it. Educate yourself. Find some articles from a variety of sources. If you don't like what you find, then don't eat it. Do you know what every single part in your car is called? If not, how do you know it's safe to drive?

Amount is a key word. Even water, in high enough amounts, can kill you.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Chemical became a bad word around the same time that My Chemical Romance started to get popular. That is fact.

Haha! It's true, I read that on the internet.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Uneducated people believe stupid things. It will always be this way.
    All the so called food documentaries that create fear amongst people. They show half truths twist researches and create panic.

Truth. If you watched Forks Over Knives and thought there was any accuracy at all in that poor excuse for a "documentary" you are part of the problem. All food documentaries -- at least, all the ones on Netflix -- are uniformly terrible.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    mommyofjan wrote: »
    :) I think it's the man-made chemicals that get people in an uproar

Funny how this point was glossed over.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No, not really. I wouldn't consider personal preservation of food as f'n with the food supply. I was referring more to mass production.

So, more like adding chlorine to mass water supplies to make city drinking water safe.

Oh, you are just trying to be argumentative. I get it. I never said all chemical additions were bad. I just answered the OP's question. Also, not sure water supply and food supply are the same things.

But basically yeah, it starts with added chlorine, then another chemical, then another, some of which are quite controversial.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you have ever rejected a piece of product in the grocery store because it looks slightly scabby, bug-eaten, overripe, or misshapen, then you're partially responsible for mass agriculture's reliance on pesticides and preservatives. Our mass consumer behavior has caused this type of corporate behavior.

That said, added chemicals aren't all bad. Fire retardants in my kids pajamas? Only bad if I actually want them to burn to death in the unlikely but not impossible event of a house fire. Preservatives in my bread? Far less toxic than the mold and bacteria we'd be eating every day otherwise. Artificial sweeteners? Not exactly health food, but certainly helping me out on my quest to be thinner.

It's all cost/benefit. Educate yourself, learn the tradeoffs, make informed decisions.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I blame Liberals.
  • sammmmykins
    sammmmykins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are bad, not because they cause cancer or anything insane like that, but because their far more acidic and worst for your teeth than sugar.

Seriously, just use real sugar but in sensible amounts and you're not gonna get fat.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are bad, not because they cause cancer or anything insane like that, but because their far more acidic and worst for your teeth than sugar.

Seriously, just use real sugar but in sensible amounts and you're not gonna get fat.

Artificial sweeteners are good, because they don't make you fat despite how much you use.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

Oh, you are just trying to be argumentative. I get it. I never said all chemical additions were bad. I just answered the OP's question. Also, not sure water supply and food supply are the same things.

But basically yeah, it starts with added chlorine, then another chemical, then another, some of which are quite controversial.

My point is the same as OP's - "chemical" is not a bad word. At least it shouldn't be. And I will add that just because something is man-made doesn't make it bad.