Thanksgiving Survival Strategies

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I think about the Skeksis in the Dark Crystal, all eating at their long table - and I don't do that.

I love that movie! People never know what I'm talking about with that, Labyrinth, and Fraggle Rock. Did I just have a different childhood tv/movie selection than most kids?

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian, we already had our thanksgiving last month. I have taken over the cooking from my mom, 1) because she's 55 now and needs a break, 2) I like to cook and 3) I know what's going into the food I'm making. This year, I winged it and did pretty good. I had purchased 2 pies for desert with frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I know everyone talks aobut the "desert" so I figured I'd attack that one first. However, the year before, I got a recipe for a coconut cream pie that was out of this world and all 'natural' foods - no processed sugar. If anyone wants the recipe - message me.

I also made a quinoa stuffing that was deliscious instead of with bread - this year, I made it with bread - whole wheat (never EVER WHITE!) and had maybe a tablespoon. I never put anything but seasoning on my turkey. For added flavour, I always put chicken stock at the bottom. I also roasted broccoli and cauliflower with coconut oil, s/p, garlic and thyme. If I do mashed potatoes, I use Greek Yogurt and maybe almond milk (if I need it) and I add s/p. However, I tend to prefer carrots and sweet potatoes in with the turkey itself.

I work my way around my family and 'inconvinience' myself to make sure I'm getting the right foods.

I forgot to add... cranberry sauce, my family doesn't enjoy it so I skipped it this year, but I made it last year - homemade it's SO EASY... Orange Juice and Cranberries. that's it.

AHEM! You make it sound like 55 is OLD.....?????

;)
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options

;)
    [/quote]

LOL - mom is not old by any means, but she's not in the best of health, so, I give her a break :) She helps me cut up veggies and stuff and we tend to argue when I tell her to go sit down and relax.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Last year I was still far away from my goal weight. We had been so good from around July 2013 til Thanksgiving and we had denied ourselves alot of our favorite foods (see pizza) that instead of cooking a turkey we opted for pizza and enough to make it worth while. I logged everything and was way over my calorie count but it was just one day and the next morning I put in an extra hard workout and kept my nose to the grindstone til Christmas. This year instead of a turkey again we are having some really good polish sausage and other non traditional foods. I will log as well as I can and get in a good workout the next day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I think about the Skeksis in the Dark Crystal, all eating at their long table - and I don't do that.

I love that movie! People never know what I'm talking about with that, Labyrinth, and Fraggle Rock. Did I just have a different childhood tv/movie selection than most kids?

i dunno i thank my lucky stars all the time for being born in the late seventies - all my 70s born friends and a good chunk of the 80s babies get it. :bigsmile:
  • yoovie
    Options
    LOL! my mom is 55 too - that's a baby. I feel like im almost her age now.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am eating whatever I want. I will probably walk around 7-10 miles in the morning, though, and will cut back on calories the rest of the week. We have a truly huge Thanksgiving dinner with all the good stuff, plus some. That said, I tried to eat a big fast food dinner the other night and couldn't get halfway through it when, before, I probably could have eaten all of it plus a huge ice cream and everyone else's fries. I am thinking Thanksgiving will be the same way. That much rich food may just not be very appetizing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Oh my god, that scene was amazing!

I sometimes refer to people as skeksis. My wife gets it, and others don't. Much easier than talking *kitten* in my broken spanish. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm Canadian, we already had our thanksgiving last month. I have taken over the cooking from my mom, 1) because she's 55 now and needs a break, 2) I like to cook and 3) I know what's going into the food I'm making. This year, I winged it and did pretty good. I had purchased 2 pies for desert with frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I know everyone talks aobut the "desert" so I figured I'd attack that one first. However, the year before, I got a recipe for a coconut cream pie that was out of this world and all 'natural' foods - no processed sugar. If anyone wants the recipe - message me.

I also made a quinoa stuffing that was deliscious instead of with bread - this year, I made it with bread - whole wheat (never EVER WHITE!) and had maybe a tablespoon. I never put anything but seasoning on my turkey. For added flavour, I always put chicken stock at the bottom. I also roasted broccoli and cauliflower with coconut oil, s/p, garlic and thyme. If I do mashed potatoes, I use Greek Yogurt and maybe almond milk (if I need it) and I add s/p. However, I tend to prefer carrots and sweet potatoes in with the turkey itself.

I work my way around my family and 'inconvinience' myself to make sure I'm getting the right foods.

I forgot to add... cranberry sauce, my family doesn't enjoy it so I skipped it this year, but I made it last year - homemade it's SO EASY... Orange Juice and Cranberries. that's it.

;)
    Greetings honored elder. lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Is Thanksgiving happening soon? I had no idea.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

;)
    Greetings honored elder. lol

Ha...these whipper snappers...wet behind the ears, I tell ya...
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'll actually spend a majority of the week creating a huge deficit by not eating back exercise calories as I usually do. I'll have an intense workout the evening before with a light workout the morning of (after all, I have to conserve my energy for black Friday shopping). Although I enjoy the usually suspects (stuffing, turkey, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes etc) I'm usually satisfied after one plate. My problem is drinking my calories in rich eggnogs, ciders and the like.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Yes, but you know.

Friendsgiving is EVERY day.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cook, eat, and enjoy. Between my dog requiring me to take him on long walks and just my need to keep moving, I am sure I will get my exercise in. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that I do eat my not so healthy foods, but of course in moderation and I stick to my water only drinks.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Yes, but you know.

This is true.

I'm going to do 10 burpees every time a skinny girl eats something.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Yes, but you know.

what about slapsgiving?

• PRMinx
    Options
    Yes, but you know.

what about slapsgiving?

I'm pretty sure dbmata gets slapped on a daily basis, too.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I plan to eat small portions of whatever I wish...I need to keep in mind that when I eat like crap I feel like crap...I hate the feelings of being overly full (glutinous) but I don't always think about that as I'm stuffing my face. So this year I will be more aware of being satisfied vs full and stuffed. Also I plan to have a workout session the morning of.

^^^ This is exactly what I plan to do.

I can never live by the "oh well its just one day" rule... because a year is made up of 365 of those "just one day" moments. My goal is to eat more than my usual calorie deficit, maybe right at my maintenance calories or a few hundred over. Nothing more.

I'm also not planning to cook much more food than we'll actually eat. Less leftovers = less calories for me to consume later. Also I'll be sending most leftovers home with my Grandpa and other relatives who actually want/need to gain a little weight :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

We'll be cooking. We haven't decided the menu yet though, and since we don't typically do a traditional dinner, the meal varies year to year (except for my brown sugar & pecan sweet potato casserole). The only thing we decided to do this year differently is to cook less food so we don't have leftovers for a week after.

My eating plan? Eat as much as I want on Thanksgiving and the day after, and keep right on trekking with my intermittent fasting as usual on Saturday.
  • 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Get my run and then enjoy! Once a year (maybe three x's a year, can't forget Christmas and B-day) is not going to kill ya! Enjoy family with a few drinks and be happy!