What is your plan of attack for the food heavy holiday season?

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^this. I chow on the protein first and in larger quantity and take a spoonful of the other stuff I love.
  • mellowkate
    mellowkate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning, and then just take the opposite of Louie's approach and stop when I'm full...?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you've been watching your food portions for several months, you'll probably find it takes a lot less food to satisfy you now. I know for me, I can't eat the big meals I used to be able to, so I get smaller portions of what I like and that works out well. I don't stress about counting anything during holiday meals anymore, just make sure I eat slow and smaller portions and I find I actually do pretty good that way. I figure if I can come out of the Christmas week without gaining anything, I've come out ahead! It also helps that my mom doesn't overload on making sweets like she used to. She's been watching her weight, and the rest of us don't pig out on sweets anymore, so she's gradually cut back what she makes. Which makes watching what I eat up there easier now, but that's something that depends entirely on someone else, so you might not have luck there.

Well, unless you're the main cook for holiday meals, in which case, you can tell people to just bring a dessert and take the leftovers with them. That way, you can get a treat but it goes away by the end of the day and you're not tempted anymore.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. Going to my mother's so it will be one meal and not 2 or 3 days of over doing.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Light breakfast - 110ish Calories or so, normal exercise routine for Thursdays, and then gluttony. I should come in under maintenance. :smiley:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I plan to attack the stuffing first...because that's my favorite. I plan to eat half of what's on my plate of that before I even consider a mashed potato or turkey bite. Then I will do Turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy for a few minutes. Then I will move onto turkey with cranberry for the last half of the turkey. This is where I go back to attacking the stuffing. Then I will probably have to get up to get more stuffing and will attack anyone who gets in my way and/or is taking the last of the stuffing. Probably at this time I will pick up a dinner roll which I forgot to get in my zeal for stuffing and I will attack that roll with more butter than a paula dean episode. Then I will attack the roll and stuffing together like so much peanut butter and chocolate, corn flakes and milk, tequila and salt, pretzels and chocolate. For some reason to me the combo of a buttered roll and stuffing is a classic that is often overlooked.

Then I will rest in my LaZBoy and when I get my second wind I will attack the stuffing again, this time with cubes of turkey on top and some more gravy. As a snack. Like a rice bowl but with stuffing. Yeah stuffing. Stuffing.
    +2

Stuffing is my absolute favorite.

I will however continue to make sandwiches like Capriotti's with the leftover stuffing, turkey and cranberry sauce on a hogie roll!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I don't treat the entire two months from October though New Years as some free for all license to just binge eat everything in site. I enjoy Thanksgiving and I enjoy Christmas and I feast and I make merry with my friends and family...the other 59 days are pretty much status quot.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Moderation and avoid overeating. :)
  • hbcfit13
    hbcfit13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My plan is to use a small plate and try to drink about a gallon of water throughout the day pre-dinner! I agree with a poster that said to get a larger portion of turkey and smaller portions of the sides. I'll probably have a good quarter pound of white meat and a small spoonful of each side. And I'm choosing ONE dessert (pumpkin pie) and having a small slice! Luckily I go out of town to visit family for Thanksgiving, so leftovers are something I won't have to worry about in the following days, thank goodness. :smile:
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I have decided to slim down right before the food heavy holidays. I am committed now, no going back. Please share your plans on making sure you stay on track during the holidays.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRilvXLm1yDTiSYFhpxF6dJtiiyzCqNi2RooKX9WK5vpPM65Ge64w

Too simple?

YES!

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Enjoy what you like in moderation. I know I will be eating some foods I don't typically eat since starting MFP. I will be choosing carefully between what I really want (my grandpa's home made noodles), and what I like but can live without (stuffing). The turkey itself isn't bad if you don't go overboard. There are usually roasted sweet potatoes that aren't candied and covered with marshmallows at my family's dinner. Filling the rest of my plate with veggies.

Add some activity will allow you more calories as well. Plan the remaining meals for the day accordingly.

Keep in mind...it is one meal. Even if we over indulge it isn't the end of the world. Start fresh with the next meal.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A fork, a knife maybe a spoon and shuffle it all in before anyone else gets the chance to!

But if cutlery is unavailable or too far away I'd be happy to do this too:

tumblr_mwy8izdaFX1qhry52o1_r2_500.gif

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Five Mike turkey trot on thanksgiving, followed by eating all the things.

Christmas eve I'm working and going straight to dinner afterwards, but I will probably run the next morning.

I will not be logging my food on thanksgiving, Christmas eve, or Christmas day.

As a friend of mine once said, "too many people are concerned with what they eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when they should worry about how they eat between Christmas and thanksgiving."
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

As a friend of mine once said, "too many people are concerned with what they eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when they should worry about how they eat between Christmas and thanksgiving."[/quote]

Love this!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I used to just eat tons of whatever the hell I wanted to eat (holidays and bday only account for 5 days out of the year, so who cares if you go over your limit?). Now I can eat so few things, I'm just going to eat a lot of the few things I know I can eat, and make a gluten free pie crust with a filling I know I can eat and work my way through most of the pie through out the afternoon and evening. Yep, for both Thanksgiving and Christmas....
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-32048-1358898498-3.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i will be bulking

bp6EELw.gif
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm careful with what I eat before I get together with family and make sure I get in an awesome workout. Then, I eat everything that I like within reason. I still use gravy, still eat the stuffing, and will have some pecan pie (probably not the whole slice though). Just enjoy yourself, don't stress about it. Remember Thanksgiving is pretty much a one meal deal, so any diet is not up in smoke if you indulge in your favorites. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    oh, that looks so... painful....
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating what I normally eat, but eating less of it. I love all the foods that happen around Thanksgiving, not just on the day, but I'm already pre-logging some days so I know what the calories are like for the foods I normally have. So, an almond croissant last year, will become half an almond croissant this year, and since losing the weight I can't really drink more than 2 drinks over an entire day, so I'm forced to have less of that. Work parties etc. I'll have a glass of wine, skip the nibbles and then switch to water or diet soda.

I'll be logging some things and not others, but using the recipe builder to figure out the nutrition of foods like stuffing.

We're hosting/cooking, so it makes it much easier.