When did 'chemical' become a bad word?

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    My daughter won't eat hydrogenated oils (margarine). She uses butter. She isn't terribly picky but she does make choices. I can't remember if there is anything else. If people were specific about what chemicals/chemical processes they won't eat there would be less confusion.

Eh... I don't eat margarine either... but it's because I like the taste of butter better...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Labeling chemicals (as in added, or "man-made") as bad is part of the Naturalistic Fallacy: the idea that natural = good and unnatural = bad.

Couple of problems with this.

(1) Natural things, such as arsenic or digitoxin can most definitely be "bad" (in the sense that they will kill you).

(2) Humans are part of nature. We are not some supernatural creature. Therefore, whatever we make is actually also part of nature.

(3) Man-made chemicals are indistinguishable from their naturally occurring forms. Fructose made in the lab is the same as Fructose from a ripe heirloom fruit. Penicillin from a lab is the same as secreted by the Penicillium mold.

(4) Inanimate objects do have a moral sense, and so cannot be "good" or "bad". We have to take them in context and dosage. That digitoxin can be used to treat cancer (in a very carefully controlled dosage, which is easier done with a highly purified "unnatural" form than by feeding the patient foxgloves).

I think if you look up the definition of the word "nature", you'll find not everything above is true.

I'm sure you could find a definition of "nature" which states that anything that a human makes is, by definition, not part of nature. But why is an anthill natural but a house is not? A tool used by a chimp is natural, but a screwdriver is not? I would suggest such a definition is based on common usage, not on a hard and fast distinction of any sort.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Chemicals became the enemy right around the same time that processing did. As if canning, freezing, dehydrating, and homogenizing were not processes.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I like the Never foods they eat in Hook. That'd be a great way to lose weight. Except that one kid stays fat....
    2af35a597ba8ff810e2a2b7f37d139c35a1fde5def48fb8d5902e72cf7aaa66e.jpg
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    My daughter won't eat hydrogenated oils (margarine). She uses butter. She isn't terribly picky but she does make choices. I can't remember if there is anything else. If people were specific about what chemicals/chemical processes they won't eat there would be less confusion.

Eh... I don't eat margarine either... but it's because I like the taste of butter better...

I like butter better, too, but, for her it is specifically because of the trans fats.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I like butter better, too, but, for her it is specifically because of the trans fats.

With all the advent of trans fat awareness, there are tons of spreads that don't have trans fats in them. Smart balance doesn't. Real butter is definitely better than any spread anyway.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Labeling chemicals (as in added, or "man-made") as bad is part of the Naturalistic Fallacy: the idea that natural = good and unnatural = bad.

(1) Natural things, such as arsenic or digitoxin can most definitely be "bad" (in the sense that they will kill you).

(2) Humans are part of nature. We are not some supernatural creature. Therefore, whatever we make is actually also part of nature.

(3) Man-made chemicals are indistinguishable from their naturally occurring forms. Fructose made in the lab is the same as Fructose from a ripe heirloom fruit. Penicillin from a lab is the same as secreted by the Penicillium mold.

(4) Inanimate objects do have a moral sense, and so cannot be "good" or "bad". We have to take them in context and dosage. That digitoxin can be used to treat cancer (in a very carefully controlled dosage, which is easier done with a highly purified "unnatural" form than by feeding the patient foxgloves).

I think if you look up the definition of the word "nature", you'll find not everything above is true.

I'm sure you could find a definition of "nature" which states that anything that a human makes is, by definition, not part of nature. But why is an anthill natural but a house is not? A tool used by a chimp is natural, but a screwdriver is not? I would suggest such a definition is based on common usage, not on a hard and fast distinction of any sort.

Nature is the world outside of man. Nothing man-made is natural. Why? Because that's what the words mean. You can suggest an alternate definition, but unless it becomes the official definition it's just a misuse of the word. Which is kind of funny in this thread. ;)
  • richardheath
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    sheldonz42 wrote: »
    Obviously people are using different definitions of "chemical".

Claiming victory on pedantic grounds is the last resort of the conversationally defeated.

Right. The scientific one and the belief one.

Everybody on here is using the belief one.

Especially those who believe they are using the scientific one.

How about the Webster's dictionary definition?

1: of, relating to, used in, or produced by chemistry or the phenomena of chemistry <chemical reactions>

Exactly proves the point - your source provides numerous definitions, yet you only chose to share the ONE that is most closely aligned with your BELIEF.

Bingo bango bongo.

Lots of enzymes catalyzing chemical reactions in your cells right now, converting one group of chemicals to another group of chemicals. Chemistry isn't just something that happens in test tubes.

Apparently the message isn't getting through....

Straw-Man%2Banimation.gif

For that to be a strawman, I would have to be taking something you didn't say and attack that. Did I misrepresent anything you said? (I may well have misunderstood, but that's not a strawman).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Not all hydrogenated oils contain trans fat. Fully hydrogenated oils do not, partially hydrogenated oils do.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

nat·u·ral
    ˈnaCH(ə)rəl/
    adjective
    adjective: natural

existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

• mccindy72
    Options

Now you are just arguing semantics. Get back on point, which is that there is a difference between 'natural' and 'man-made'. A path in the woods made by traveling animals is natural; a blacktop highway is manmade. See the difference? Now stop it.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Not all hydrogenated oils contain trans fat. Fully hydrogenated oils do not, partially hydrogenated oils do.

thanks, maybe I just meant the partially hydrogenated ones. sorry I went off-track.

I agree with the OP. I just think the people who say they don't want chemicals in their food could be more specific about what types of chemicals
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    sheldonz42 wrote: »
    Obviously people are using different definitions of "chemical".

Claiming victory on pedantic grounds is the last resort of the conversationally defeated.

Right. The scientific one and the belief one.

Everybody on here is using the belief one.

Especially those who believe they are using the scientific one.

How about the Webster's dictionary definition?

1: of, relating to, used in, or produced by chemistry or the phenomena of chemistry <chemical reactions>

Exactly proves the point - your source provides numerous definitions, yet you only chose to share the ONE that is most closely aligned with your BELIEF.

Bingo bango bongo.

Lots of enzymes catalyzing chemical reactions in your cells right now, converting one group of chemicals to another group of chemicals. Chemistry isn't just something that happens in test tubes.

Apparently the message isn't getting through....

Straw-Man%2Banimation.gif

For that to be a strawman, I would have to be taking something you didn't say and attack that. Did I misrepresent anything you said?

Nobody suggested that water isn't a "chemical" or that chemistry only "happens in test tubes".

• SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a perception that man-made things are wrong, not "natural", yet most people won't know man-made (synthetic) chemical from one that already exists in nature, has been extracted from its natural form, then refined for greater effectiveness. Like Aspirin. check out how old this pain killer is: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_aspirin
    Guar gum (it comes from beans) existed before people started using it as an ice cream thickener. What, you want thick creamy ice cream without the fat and calories from cream, can do!
    How about Soy Lecithin? It's in everything. Harmful or Harmless: Soy Lecithin

I think these are the majority of "chemicals" we deal with today but most people are ignorant of the details and they're looking to be told what to do. There's a lot of money in fueling our national anxiety which leads us right up to the doorsetp of... Chemophobia.
    Science is definitely not easy to keep up with even if you're a fan. Much like the stock market when you don't have any money in it - and it's in a foreign language. If you're relying on the 6 o'clock news just count the number of times they say "may", "might", or "could" in reference to developments. That just means someone's looking into it, nothing more, yet some company's going to jump all over it and have a product to fill that niche before you can blink. Or a counter product.
    [Frankenstein voice] Chemicals bad!!! Natural (trademarked here) good!

Who's up for a cleanse?
  • richardheath
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Now you are just arguing semantics. Get back on point, which is that there is a difference between 'natural' and 'man-made'. A path in the woods made by traveling animals is natural; a blacktop highway is manmade. See the difference? Now stop it.

What if the animals that made the path in the wood were of the species Homo sapiens sapiens?
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Nature is the world outside of man. Nothing man-made is natural. Why? Because that's what the words mean. You can suggest an alternate definition, but unless it becomes the official definition it's just a misuse of the word. Which is kind of funny in this thread. ;)

Pretty much every food you eat has been altered by man in some way. Before we got our grubby hands on them, "natural" corncobs were very small, apples were small, hard and sour, almonds were poisonous, sheep would attack you, and cows didn't have huge udders that produce far more milk than a calf could ever drink. Unless you are a hunter-gatherer, to a very large extent there are no "natural" foods anymore.

Even outside of our influence, nature isn't the elegant homeostatic system some people think it is. All species are constantly competing and evolving and extinction is a common occurrence. Dutch Elm Disease has destroyed most elm trees. European cave bears didn't survive the last Ice Age. Mammals ate dinosaur eggs. Countless plants, animals and single cell organisms have risen to prominence and than were out-competed by newer, better adapted organisms. Man is just the result of yet another species adapting to its ever changing environment.

There is no way to eat natural because nature itself is always changing and the very act of you being alive changes nature. The food you eat was produced by someone selecting one species to produce over another, and then systematically clearing land to produce that species. In the process, the existing species on the land were destroyed and the habitat was changed. Some organisms can adapt to that change. Others become marginalized or go extinct.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »

nat·u·ral
    ˈnaCH(ə)rəl/
    adjective
    adjective: natural

existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

So if I plant a tree, it's not natural?

Where'd you get that definition from?
    Um, the dictionary?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/natural

And actually yes. If you transplant a tree it's not natural. Case in point, another definition:

growing spontaneously, without being planted or tended by human hand, as vegetation.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/natural

I suppose I should have known someone would nit-pick something as silly as the definition of natural.