Appetite Suppressants

Options
I am always hungry. I could eat a big, balanced meal and end up hungry less than 30 minutes later. It makes controlling how much I eat feel impossible. I've read that if you are consuming enough protein and fiber, this shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, even on days I'm consuming as much as if not more than my recommended amount, I still have the hunger problem.
Does anyone else have this issue? How do I control this? I want to try appetite suppressants but I don't know what kind to try out.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you allocated and what is your weekly weight loss goal?
  • ChescasFeather
    ChescasFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal teas as appetite surpressants they help with cravings and drinking enough fills me up :) Sometimes I add Splenda (2cal per tsp) which really helps with the sugar cravings x
  • ElizabethNJ
    ElizabethNJ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A lot of times we confuse thirst for hunger. Every time you "feel" hungry when you know that you ate, try drinking water or tea.
  • sydneymae20
    sydneymae20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is to take in 1,700 calories a day.
    2 lbs per week is my weight loss goal, but just starting out (again), I may adjust my goal to 1 lbs per week.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    In your profile you said that you are dealing with depression... Are you currently under a doctor's care? If so, then your lack of willpower and binging is something that you should be discussing with your doctor. If not, then you probably should find a doctor who can help you through this.

An appetite suppressant is a quick fix and will not address your underlying issues.
  • sydneymae20
    Options
    I drink herbal teas as appetite surpressants they help with cravings and drinking enough fills me up :) Sometimes I add Splenda (2cal per tsp) which really helps with the sugar cravings x

I'm trying to get more into drinking tea! I've only really ever had green tea, so I'll definitely give that a shot. Thank you. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    It's more a habitual and mental issue than an actual physiological one (unless of course you're actually eating too little for your body).
    Appetite suppressants aren't the answer. They teach your body nothing about how to adapting to eating less naturally because you're ingesting a chemical to deter hunger. Once you get off them, then your body will respond differently and weight regain is likely.
    Since you've mentioned issues, it might benefit you to speak with professionals to identify your problem and an RD to help you figure out an eating plan you can sustain for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    2 lbs per week is my weight loss goal, but just starting out (again), I may adjust my goal to 1 lbs per week.

Two pounds a week may be too aggressive. One pound a week will give you more food plus you can eat back about half of your exercise calories.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

There you go... you hit it on the nail... aim for one pound. It's better to slowly lose weight... just the same way you gained weight... slowly. That's why you still feel hungry. With one pound a week, you'll have more calories to eat and you'll still be losing pounds. :flowerforyou:

And stay away from appetite suppressants.
  • sydneymae20
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A lot of times we confuse thirst for hunger. Every time you "feel" hungry when you know that you ate, try drinking water or tea.

I need to keep trying that. I have before and I still had that uncomfortable hungry feeling in the pit of my stomach. Maybe I need to drink more. Thank you. :)
    mitch16 wrote: »
    In your profile you said that you are dealing with depression... Are you currently under a doctor's care? If so, then your lack of willpower and binging is something that you should be discussing with your doctor. If not, then you probably should find a doctor who can help you through this.

An appetite suppressant is a quick fix and will not address your underlying issues.

I have been on medication and in therapy for going on 6 years now. I will definitely try discussing it further with my doctor. Thank you. :)
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water throughout the day & even more along with your meals.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the water. I drink at least the recommended 8 glasses per day, usually more.

• sydneymae20
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's more a habitual and mental issue than an actual physiological one (unless of course you're actually eating too little for your body).
    Appetite suppressants aren't the answer. They teach your body nothing about how to adapting to eating less naturally because you're ingesting a chemical to deter hunger. Once you get off them, then your body will respond differently and weight regain is likely.
    Since you've mentioned issues, it might benefit you to speak with professionals to identify your problem and an RD to help you figure out an eating plan you can sustain for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're right. I never used to have this issue, I think my body has become accustomed to eating too much and it needs to adapt to eating less again. Thank you.
    Most people are "hungry" due to bordom and their old eating habits trying to convince them to eat. If you're eating enough and you are still hungry, stomach grumbling and all, maybe try upping your water intake. Drink a glass with every meal. Another thing you could try is upping your protein and fat macros. That can help keep you fuller for longer. And if youre still hungry after all that, maybe try metamucil. I have a glass a day (also help you reach your fibre goals if you don't) and that keeps me full.

All the best

Thank you so much. :)
    Branstin wrote: »
    Two pounds a week may be too aggressive. One pound a week will give you more food plus you can eat back about half of your exercise calories.

Very good point. Thank you. :)
    There you go... you hit it on the nail... aim for one pound. It's better to slowly lose weight... just the same way you gained weight... slowly. That's why you still feel hungry. With one pound a week, you'll have more calories to eat and you'll still be losing pounds. :flowerforyou:

And stay away from appetite suppressants.

You're right. I need to be patient and do this right. Thank you. :)
  • sydneymae20
    Options
    evarga12 wrote: »
    Try drinking more water throughout the day & even more along with your meals.

Thank you! :)
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    Ditto on the water. I drink at least the recommended 8 glasses per day, usually more.

Yeah, I really need to work on drinking more water. Thank you. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Listen to ninerbuff.

There are effective appetite supressants that are easy to find, but honestly... those are value added items, and not to be the foundation of a strategy.

Learn to control your desires first. That will probably be all you will ever need.
  • janiceesmith12
    janiceesmith12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can always "challenge" your hunger. I question myself. Do I think I'm hungry because the clock says it is lunch time? Do I think I'm hungry when I'm really sleep deprived or bored or something. I will decide that I'll have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If I'm still hungry after 10 minutes, then I'll have a healthy snack. I find I have to really stay mindful to avoid eating "just because." Lots of time after the water, I get busy with something else and realize I wasn't really hungry. I was just standing in the kitchen bored thinking I was hungry.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try pu-erh tea and drinking lots of water throughout the day.
  • layla17cc2
    layla17cc2 Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure if you take any medications, but hunger and weight gain can be side effects of certain meds, especially antidepressants.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this journey my doctor gave me phentermine (I didn't know until I picked up my prescriptions). I figured I should take it - as my doctor gave it to me. So I did. For about three days. I realized that regardless of what my doctor thought, it wasn't the way *I* wanted to lose weight. I wanted to do it right, so I did. I'm losing weight at a really good pace on my own (208 days, 58 pounds lost - 25% of my original body weight - gone). And knowing that I've created my own success is really, very empowering.

So my advice? Don't do it. You've got this all on your own.

Also: water. Drink a glass, wait 30 minutes. If you're still hungry, eat a small something.

You'll get there.
  • sydneymae20
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Listen to ninerbuff.

There are effective appetite supressants that are easy to find, but honestly... those are value added items, and not to be the foundation of a strategy.

Learn to control your desires first. That will probably be all you will ever need.

You're right. I suppose I was just looking for an easy fix, and I've learned in the past that isn't the best way to go about things. Thank you. :)
    You can always "challenge" your hunger. I question myself. Do I think I'm hungry because the clock says it is lunch time? Do I think I'm hungry when I'm really sleep deprived or bored or something. I will decide that I'll have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If I'm still hungry after 10 minutes, then I'll have a healthy snack. I find I have to really stay mindful to avoid eating "just because." Lots of time after the water, I get busy with something else and realize I wasn't really hungry. I was just standing in the kitchen bored thinking I was hungry.

That's a great idea. I really need to be more mindful when it comes to my eating habits. Thank you. :)
    Try pu-erh tea and drinking lots of water throughout the day.

I'll look into pu-erh tea, and I definitely need to consume more water. Thank you! :)