Short People Unite!

Options

Replies

• lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5'4 which is apparently the "average" height of a woman in the UK but I'm CONVINCED there's a colony of actual dwarves somewhere bringing that down because I've only ever met 2 (British) women shorter than me - most of them I know are 5'6-'57!

158.5lb right now, another 40 or so to lose.
  • danabpennington
    danabpennington Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    5'2" 132 pounds, if I can get back to 120 I would be ok!!! I gained 10 pounds after graduation and it is very noticeable, so I feel you!!!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11.5"
    118 pounds
    and my TDEE is 2150

My NEAT is 1850 and that's based on two years of logging and doing the math.

I don't think being short makes THAT much difference to our NEATs. Between me and a tall lady, maybe 200 calories, but not more than that.

So don't sell yourselves short (haha) we can eat more than we think.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Another shortie here...although I like the phrase "Fun Size" that another poster used. I am 5' 1/2". I will be 50 (UHG!!!) in the spring. My Mom and older sister both have osteoporosis and have shrunk a bit so I am actually not the shortest adult female in the family any longer.

I agree that extra weight tends to show on shorter folks (especially those of us not blessed in the chest area). As of last week I am no longer Obese. I never thought I would be happy to say I am Overweight! I have 24 lbs to go to reach a healthy weight but would like to go down another 5-10lbs past that...we will see how I look and feel once I get to my goal.

22975671.png
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I feel your pain! 5'1 3/4" here (I say 5'2" to sound taller, lol), and the tiniest gain shows on me. It doesn't help that I have a very small frame as well. I'm currently doing the TDEE method and eating around 1500 calories, but when I had more to lose I ate 1200 calories and was not starving. My tall friends and coworkers are always giving me a hard time about how little I eat, but it's not like someone my size can eat 2000 calories. I'm sending you a friend request. :)
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    4'10 here!
    With 17 pounds to lose to be at my pre-college weight of 112.
    But I might keep going down to 107!
  • ls8735
    ls8735 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would love for any of you other short ladies to add me. I am 5'1" and weighed 150 pounds at the start of my journey almost 4 months ago. I have lost a little over 30 pounds and I am now attempting to maintain my current weight.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    5' here with 47lbs to lose, everyone is free to add me :) my phone won't allow me to visit profiles to add since the new forums, but I can (and will) accept people :)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5'1" here! I think my TDEE is somewhere around 1700. I get really jealous of the people on the boards who lose at 1700. I usually eat 1300-1350 and I'm not getting 1lb/week anymore with that. I don't want to lower it, ugh. Short people problems! Started at 162, currently 128.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    5'1" here as well! SW 155, CW 145, GW 115. Also using the TDEE method. Calculator estimates my TDEE at somewhere around 1650, though I suspect it's actually higher since I'm losing faster than I expected to. Was eating 1290 calories, just upped it to 1360 to see how that goes for a bit.

Agree with the other ladies here that it's tough to look at people who are eating 2000 calorie diets and still losing weight. Portion sizes in restaurants and on boxes are the biggest issue -- they're intended for much taller people, obviously.

There are a few other shortie groups and threads floating around, feel free to run a search and join us! Add me as a friend if you like, too.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and weigh between 118-120 (118 on a good day), and I'm also old (55). I'd like to get down to below 115, but have plateau'd for a long time. My BMR is only 1136 (I just had it evaluated, along with BF%), so 1200 is actually too many calories for me if I'm sedentary. I do exercise every day, but that burns a puny number of calories due to my size and age. My TDEE today would have been around 1400-1500 based on activity calories. I'd have to knock myself out to get those 1000 calorie burns bigger and younger people brag about.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and 5'0 and I weigh around 106-108lbs. I lift weights and eat more than 1200 calories. I'm currently reverse dieting in order to find my maintenance. Feel free to friend me :)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    5'2...I used to want to be tall....but now I realize being shorter makes me feel more....like a girl next to a guy. :) (no offense taller ladies) BUT taller women can carry off certain styles better and look rather graceful and willowy.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    4'11" here and 49 yrs old. I am getting pretty close to where I want to be again, another 5 lbs give or take should do it. I have my calories set to 1000 and eat back my exercise calories despite all those who argue you can't drop below 1200. It is working for me and I am not starving in the least. My TDEE is only 1268.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    EK00001 wrote: »
    I'm 5 '6 male and height has never concerned me at all.

I do not think we qualify for this thread. I am 5'7 BTW.

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    5'3" 50lbs more to lose. Feel free to add me! I eat 2500 calories a day and still lose, so I'm not really on board with the calorie eating comments, but to each their own. ;)
  • islandgirl3333
    islandgirl3333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 5 feet and have lost 29 pounds, 15 more to go. I feel like I have been on a diet my whole life. I was a heavy teenagers 140 pounds, but managed to loose the weight thru weight watchers after I had my children, maintained for about 20 years then with old age creeping up gained a lot of weight and am fighting to get back to a healthy weight now. Love my fitness pal, such great articles and I like to read the community for motivation. I do wish I was taller so I burned more weight doing exercise. I walk a lot with my husband and it always bugs me that he burns so many more calories than me. Thanks everyone for sharing.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's me! I'm 25, 5'2'', down 20lbs (from June) and looking to lose another 10-15lbs. I try to keep it around 1350-1400 calories a day, seems to be working well. Add me if you like! :smile:
  • ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'0" and around 120 lbs (30 years old). I've lost about 30 lbs over the past 5 years or so (it would have been so much fast if I'd found MFP sooner!). My TDEE is around 1700 if I'm sedentary, but as long as I'm lifting 3-5 days/week it's more like 1900-2000. I still get jealous listening to hubby complain that "it's so hard to eat 2900 calories in a day"!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    5'1 here. And I need to lose about 10-13 more pounds. I was 160, and I've come down to about 136-137. I was at 132, but I lost my mojo for about 4 weeks, and I gained. When I workout 5-7 times a week (sometimes 2x a day), I can eat about 1900 calories and lose. So depending on your activity, you could eat more and still lose.