2 Questions you get when you lose weight

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    Oddly, or maybe not oddly, there are a few that question whether I will be able to keep up with the "diet". To those I tell them it is not a diet. It is a way of eating that I will be able to maintain for life.

+1 (same here)

• MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    He'll no! I'll die first before I tell someone my weight!
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    before discovering mfp, I personally would've been delirious to hear I could eat whatever I want while sitting on my butt and still lose weight!

Haha - yes, this! I'm 12lbs down, with at least another 39 to go to be within a healthy weight range again.. my biggest issue is portion control, or rather lack of it, however since restarting on MFP I'm remembering how easy it is to lose weight whilst still eating my favourite foods. Tonight I had a (healthier version) roast dinner and a crunchie with a hot chocolate afterwards, and I am still 100 calories under my target for the day <3

Be proud of your achievements - to echo what everyone else says though, it is personal and if someone asks you and you don't want to give them an answer in weight, you could always just say "I prefer to focus on what I've gained... confidence, fitness, health, etc" or say you've lost enough weight to be healthy again :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty open about my weight now, and will even discuss my BED with people who ask. I don't attach emotion to my weight anymore....it's simply a moment in time that I weigh a certain amount, but I won't weigh that much a week later. I can get kinda annoyed when they say "oh, but counting calories doesn't work for me". I have told more than one person IRL that they aren't a special snowflake.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    A simple and easy way to answer: "How'd you do it?"

2011-09-30.jpg

:joy:

ahah. i love this so much.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'll share how much I've lost... I'm damn proud of it! I don't share my actual weight outside of my immediate family. And I simply say I watch my calories and I workout. And like everyone else has mentioned... The most enthusiastic response I get is usually an "oh" followed by a change of subject. Nobody wants to hear what they already know to be true. I think deep down they all want me to have some horrible disease, so they can justify it.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I used to get those questions a lot before I updated my ID so I matched. People always want to know what I eat. Food. :) I always ate food. Now I just eat food differently and cook more. I went to Vegas with a friend and thoroughly dispelled any notions that I don't eat... but I move a lot more now. Of course everyone wants the magical answer - surely you had to do something special to lose the weight, right?

I also have no problems telling people my starting weight (340) and current weight (140). but that is probably why they think I might have a more magical answer.

I got a lot of people who assumed I had the surgery, because we are a quick fix kind of country so then they really want to probe on how I did it.

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Rarely do I get how much I weigh but I get asked a lot what I've been doing and how much I've lost. I answer both proudly and would probably tell them how much I weighed if they ask.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love the ones where they say "You don't need to lose any more weight" and "You are getting emaciated"... (Understand that at the time, I was about 240 lbs and still considered obese by BMI standards.. People have such a distorted view of a healthy weight.

The two questions you mention are:
    1. "How much have you lost" -- A natural curiosity... They want to know how much you have lost... They have noticed your hard work is paying off and this should be a good thing and an encouragement...
    2. "How did you do it" -- This is where they are hoping in their hope that you have some magic potion and easy way where you continue living life as you always did and it just suddenly starts coming off... the preferred potion is of course one that requires no change in action and intake and is cheap or free.... They don't want to hear the truth here... "Diet and exercise"... And to keep it off.... a lifestyle change... You can never do again what you are doing now... You have to continue the lifestyle forever... It has to be permanent... Things can never be the same again... if they return to what you are doing now, you get the same results you have now... Commitment... Not what they want to hear.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    No one's yet asked me how much weight I've lost, but I'd have no problem telling them. Being honest about what my weight used to be really isn't that big of a deal for me.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I think most people are pretty well aware that if you eat less you will lose weight. That's relatively obvious. So if you tell them "I ate less" the response is pretty much going to be well duh. Or just not wanting to hear it, because yeah it's not so helpful.

I think people want to know HOW you ate less. Because hey 6 months ago I knew I was supposed to be eating less and couldn't find the will to make it happen.
    When people ask I tell them that I found it really helpful to log food (because as anybody who's lost weight pretty much knows, it's usually an eye-opener) and started working out VERY SLOWLY and have worked back up to moderate exercise.

Once people know that, hey it isn't that hard, baby steps, it takes a while (I always tell them I have been at this since June, because the way people notice you losing weight looks like it was really fast, regardless if it was 1 lb a week or not)...they are more hopeful. I've got a couple of people at work on the bandwagon, which is a great feeling.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not mind giving out numbers. I guess in a way I like to brag that I have lost over 100 (around 137 lb total). I am more free w/ the numbers to people who I've known a long time, and obviously they know I was MUCH larger and can "picture" how I looked before, which IMHO is not that terrible so I am less likely to tell someone who just met me because honestly I don't think the picture in their head of me + 137 lb would be very accurate and somehow that bugs me a bit!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am usually asked what my secret is, and that really annoys me because there is not secret.
  • Jeff_is_Mr_Incredible
    Options
    I tell certain people how much I've lost depending on why I think they're asking. To the question of how did you do it I just say "I eat less and move more". It's amazing that this combination is such a secret isn't it? There's also a third question that you didn't list that I've had a few times that I think is really rude and it is "Did you have to do it?"
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    A coworker of mine asked me if I was still doing my extreme diet. I'm currently on my weight loss journey but have a ways to go. I just smh'd. Extreme dieting was what I did to gain all this weight over such a short period of time! Losing it is a matter of changing my lifestyle and staying active. Nothing extreme about that!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not mind giving out numbers. I guess in a way I like to brag that I have lost over 100 (around 137 lb total). I am more free w/ the numbers to people who I've known a long time, and obviously they know I was MUCH larger and can "picture" how I looked before, which IMHO is not that terrible so I am less likely to tell someone who just met me because honestly I don't think the picture in their head of me + 137 lb would be very accurate and somehow that bugs me a bit!

You rock! I don't see a before but you look great. Congrats. I want to lose a total of 100lbs when all is said and done which will have be looking absolutely fantastic. I've lost 26lbs so far.
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love telling people how much I've lost!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Since I work with the public I constantly get asked how I did it/lost the weight, how much I've lost, if I gave up certain food groups, & occasionally how much I eat.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The first 50 lbs I lost - nobody noticed. When you're way overweight I guess it's just a matter of degree so I remember being thrilled when people started noticing. After the next 40 lbs or so the questions/comments kept coming to the point where I was embarrassed with talking about it. Something that strikes me is that NO ONE ever mentions your weight or appearance when you're fat. Then when you lose the weight suddenly your weight and appearance are THE ONLY THING anybody wants to talk about!

Like everyone here I get the "how did you do it" followed by the disappointment when I say ride my bike every single day and eat a lot less and track every calorie. It just seems so awful, when you're stuffing your face, to envision a life that is enjoyable while eating less. But now I never want to go back, my only struggles are how to make these changes permanent and watching like a hawk for signs of "backslide."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!