To Keto, Or Not To Keto: That is the question.

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Consider it my PSA for the day. o:)
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories burned? If you don't already have a Fitbit, Jawbone or some other device I would suggest getting one. I think people tend to believe they are burning more than they are. For example, a friend of mine put her activity level at lightly active....then she would google calories burned by housecleaning and actually enter that as an exercise. I think the lightly active category would already include "house cleaning" and she add house cleaning as an exercise. Not sure I can offer Keto advice, I have tried it, couldn't stick to it. My success came from tracking everything and getting a Fitbit.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi,

reading your post it sounds to me you already made up your mind. Asking about keto in general forums usually don't end well...as you may have noticed.

I'd second "why don't you just give it a try for 2-4 weeks" and see where it takes you?
    The adjusting phase is rumored to be elusively unpredictable, lasting up to several weeks until properly into nutritional ketosis (NK). The carb thresholds are highly individual. And the induction phase can be straining, headaches, rashes bla-bla-bla. Take more salt, yada-yada.

As with ANY major diet change, doing the research first pays off. With a quite "technical" diet, for lack of a better word, like ketosis, you really need to read up first. reddit.keto and ruled.me are great sites.

I also agree with those informing above that intake, aka portion control DOES MATTER for weight loss regardless of which diet you're on.

My LCHF journey. I'm myself lurking around flirting with my carb levels. I originally broke out of my plateau that lasted almost a year with intermittent fasting (IF) 10 weeks ago. I have consistently lost 1kg/week. (Last week I'm on diet break, so only lost 9kg) Since the 5:2 diet plan involves 2 semi-fasting days with only 500 kcal intake/day, most 5:2'ers choose them very low-carb. The natural and logic step for me was to reduce my carbs both simple and complex also on the other 5 days. I go in and out of ketosis (according to the stix) depending on how I'm training and carb intake. Usually I'm somewhere around 50-120g/day. I eat almost only homemade food, the exceptions often being portions of treats at night. I exercise between 3-5x/week.

Freedom from feeding. I like the effects IF and low-carbing has given MY lifestyle. I don't need to feed my body every 4 hours like a tamagotchi anymore. I can choose more freely when it suits me to eat. I can run fasted or take 10g protein pre spinning class. I can exercise VERY hard when I want to with a 100g carb up. I didn't run out of energy 2 weeks ago when I was bicycling 11 hours in 4 days during an instructor course. (Sore butt last day, energy still high).

I don't really stress about whether I'm "in" ketosis or not. I go by how I feel and adjust accordingly:) Right now exercising goals are more important until instructor exam than NK.

There are some cons to stay in ketosis. You do have to be very careful, calculating and maybe prelogging more than I have done. It's not for everyone. Whether the pluses wins over the negatives, only the individual can decide for themselves.

Good luck:)

TRIAL AND ERROR FTW

Edit: If anything, I'd say my athletic performance has gotten a boost since LCHF. Since I'm no longer so dependent on bloodsugar, I have recorded more peaks into red zone while HIIT. For example last saturday I stayed 9 minutes above 93% VO2max during 6 bursts. 24 mins in orange zone 83-87% within a 55 minute spinning class.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    OP, I would suggest trying it. I don't do keto but I try to do LCHF as much as possible and I have noticed certain areas improving. I don't have what you do but I find low carb easier, from a calorie deficit standpoint, to follow. I have to follow it and sometimes it can be difficult but I definitely notice a difference when my carbs are in check. I have less swelling around my heel spurs, more overall energy, I'm not looking at the clock constantly hoping for my next food break, etc. If it doesn't work for you, try something else. You might also want to consider joining a low carb or keto group here for more helpful info than "eat at a deficit."
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    miamouse3 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If you really do have a healthy lifestyle, have been eating in a deficit and have not been seeing weight loss, then the only course of action really is to see a doctor.

LCHF doesn't cause weight loss unless you are in a deficit, so if you're already in a deficit and not seeing any loss, a change in diet isn't going to do much. LCHF has been a good choice for people with thyroid issues or PCOS, but again, you would need a doctor to diagnose and treat. I don't know of anyone on MFP with either of those conditions who is not on some form of medication to regulate the hormones along with a LCHF diet for weight loss.

My doctors suspected Thyroid and PCOS, but the blood test results didn't show a yes. I was advised by someone on here to ask for a different test that was more accurate, I have it written down somewhere, but I can't get to a doctor right now because I work full time and the nearest physicians office that accepts my insurance is 1 hour and 45 minutes away on a good traffic day. I will go as soon as I can, but for right now I really can't go wrong with trying something new that could help since I am not getting any better doing what I already am. Its not a crash diet, so really there isn't any harm in giving it a go as long as I do it right.
    Again, I was asking for people's experiences. I listed my stats because if anyone who has any similar stats and has tried keto sees this maybe they can tell me how it worked out.
    The ASBP often recommends LCHF diets. I have seen a lot of posts on the keto board on reddit where people saw little to no result on other diets, switched to this, and saw change.

I also read about how low carb diets have shown improvements for people in epilepsy. Following keto and similar diets reduced the number of seizures they were having due to the way the diet change affected certain processes. The reaction was similar to results seen on depakote. In theory, epilepsy and bipolar share similarities, and both are controlled with seizure medications like depakote. These medications help make seizures and episodes less frequent. I have been treated with seizure medication in the past. I am not currently on any because I can't see a doctor right now. There aren't enough case studies done on bipolar patients, other than a couple bipolar women with similar issues as mine voluntarily underwent the lifestyle change and saw improvement physically and mentally. Because there isn't a wider grouping and more variables, this isn't a confirmation but it does suggest that theoretically it could be affective in therapies for bipolar patients.

So I do have medical reasoning to want to try it. I will see a doctor when I can. Right now I can't. I'm working on repairing that situation but it is incredibly tiring to hear that over and over when I am doing everything I can right now to have the ability or coverage to see one. its like rubbing salt in the wound. So I would greatly appreciate it if the doctor issue was dropped.
    People with certain neurological disorders cannot properly metabolize or uptake glucose in the brain. Ketones provide an alternate fuel source. Even then, they are not always used and if they are used they are used short-term and the patients are monitored by dieticians and doctors because of the side effects of the diet.

curious...what "side effects"?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    I tried many times to eat low calorie, but I thought about food too much or didn't eat very nutrious. Eating low carb allowed took out an area where I couldn't control myself. It is easier for me to eat NO ice cream than a reasonable serving. Will I get to low calorie and get to a more traditional ratio of calorie intake? Maybe. I feel like I have more energy eating low carb, high fat, mod protein and I think about food less.

I am exactly the same way. In the past, I was able to use carb-cycling successfully, but something has changed about me (an increased physiological and/or psychological carb addiction, I suppose) and it just doesn't work for me. LCHF is working out fantastically for me. I rarely feel hungry, and I have tons of energy. I do not have cravings or bouts of carb binging followed by guilt, and I am not constantly thinking about food and trying to justify a cheat or food "reward." My reward is seeing my bodyfat drop, and I get to eat plenty of tasty foods throughout my day. I am relatively new to this way of eating and meeting my fat macro is still hard but I am learning.

Currently I am eating 1200 calories a day. I weigh, tape, and caliper myself every morning. If I see my lean body mass numbers start to drop I will up my calories, but for now the numbers look good. I have 20-25 pounds more to go before I start working on recomposition. I weigh and do my measurements every day because it keeps me on track, keeps me motivated, helps me quickly identify which measurement changes are flukes and instead focus on trends. 1200 calories of 40/40/20 macros was not doing anything for me, but now I am seeing a steady drop.

I have long been an advocate of heavy lifting and HIIT cardio for developing good body composition, but for now I am only utilizing cardio, some bodyweight strength training, and stretching. My cardio consists of running or biking for 1-2 hours six days a week because I am building a baseline for some duathlons I would like to do in the spring. Otherwise I probably would be keeping my cardio at 30-45 minutes, four days a week. The only reason I mention this is to point out that, to my amazement, I am able to do these 1-2 hour cardio sessions just fine - quite energetically and enthusiastically, in fact - despite having a net carb intake of <50 g a day. I would not have thought that was possible previously.

The hardest thing that I am finding right now is staying hydrated. It is always more difficult for me to stay hydrated once the weather turns cold, and this way of eating requires a lot of water. I aim to drink 64 ounces of water a day but could probably use a bit more since I feel dehydrated when I first wake up.

Some more things about me - I suffer from cyclical anxiety and depression...more similar to bipolar type II than I. Since starting keto, I have been somewhat oddly elated, but I don't want to imply a correlation or causation there. It's just something I have noticed. Almost all of my weight gain (almost 40 pounds) occurred after going off of BCP, so I suspect there is a hormonal issue there that the doctor has not been able to identify.

I think I had more to say but now I've become sidetracked!

• squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    :

Freedom from feeding. I like the effects IF and low-carbing has given MY lifestyle. I don't need to feed my body every 4 hours like a tamagotchi anymore. I can choose more freely when it suits me to eat.

^^I can vouch that this is true for me as well!!! I don't purposefully fast, but I regularly end up skipping breakfast or other meals because I'm busy and not hungry, and my energy levels remain stable. Prior to keto, I would have been STARVING,cranky, or exhausted if I missed a meal. Also, I lolled at the tamagotchi comment, but that is a great way to look at it.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    djcrillz wrote: »
    :

Freedom from feeding. I like the effects IF and low-carbing has given MY lifestyle. I don't need to feed my body every 4 hours like a tamagotchi anymore. I can choose more freely when it suits me to eat.

^^I can vouch that this is true for me as well!!! I don't purposefully fast, but I regularly end up skipping breakfast or other meals because I'm busy and not hungry, and my energy levels remain stable. Prior to keto, I would have been STARVING,cranky, or exhausted if I missed a meal. Also, I lolled at the tamagotchi comment, but that is a great way to look at it.

The tamagotchi comment was my favorite of the day.

I can also go hours between meals with lchf. Before keto I would HAVE to eat every 2-2.5 hours.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am a former avid low carber. I do not consider myself so any longer.

I've struggled with my weight almost my entire life. Been on a ton of different "diets", fads, tried many different approaches. Only two rose above, stuck and changed my relationship with food for life. LCHF was one of those approaches.

UPSIDES

- It was the very first eating approach that allowed me to eat to satiation and still lose a lot of weight. A fat/protein heavy diet is extremely filling to me, while never prompting me to overeat. I followed LCHF for years and years, and I never gained weight while sticking stringently to it.

- Murdered my snacking childhood/teenage snacking habit. LCHF meals just tended to be so satisfying, and stuck with me so long, that while I followed it snacking and munching just didn't happen often.

- It taught me that I did not need lots of carbohydrates to have energy. In fact I tend to feel more energized, with more sustainable energy, when my carb intake is low. No blood sugar crashes, ups and downs, etc. There was a time in my life where I was a regular runner and I did that entire period as a strict low carber. Was also the leanest I've ever been in my life so far.

- It made my overall diet much healthier. With many of the standard American staples off the table, I learned long ago to fall in love with a variety of veggies to help fill me up.

- My mother was also T2D, as was her father. Learning to eat lower carb has given me a lifeline to stave off the development in my own body, and if I am one day diagnosed, to be able to manage it with little to no medications. I am very, very grateful that I learned to eat this way.

- The diet literally transformed, seemingly permanent, what foods my body craves. I grew up on a typical US diet, with all the implications of that. Low carbing off and on for over 10 years killed my yearnings and heavy cravings for potato chips/snacks, pasta, bread and pizza. I never imagined that would happen. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy all those kinds of fare, but I almost never crave them. I can have the best bread ever baked, or the finest pasta dish Italy has to offer, enjoy it, and literally not have a craving for it for another year, not even think about it. I know, because I've done it. If you knew how I grew up you'd know what a minor miracle that was. This is a case where abstinence actually had a long term, very positive effect.

DOWNSIDES

- I villainized carbohydrates for years. Not the carbs in veggies, but in just about everything else, including fruit.

- It did not help with my intense sweet tooth. While abstinence helped me, as mentioned, kick my habit of overeating many foods, it didn't with sweets. I was fine as long as I didn't have them, but when I inevitably would I'd go over board, sometimes for days, weeks, months...and years.

- Fruit was in the no-no category. That was not what Atkins recommended, but it's how I practiced it out. I went years without eating fruit.

- It was very difficult for me to sustain long term. Because low carbing fed my "all or nothing" mentality, I did very well when I was doing very well...an extremely poorly when I somehow broke the "rules". Just the feeling of failure if I had some cake, or too much non-low carb ice cream, would send me into "eat all the SWEETZ and start tomorrow mode" and, at some point, tomorrow stopped showing up tomorrow.

- I gained back all my weight, and then double, when I allowed the ceiling to finally fall. I ended up low carbing again several times and almost always regained the weight I lost.

I haven't considered myself a dedicated low carber in a couple years. These days I use intermittent fasting for weight loss and maintenance. I also don't consider any foods bad, wrong or outside of my power to control anymore.

However LCHF has left a huge mark on the way I eat. To this day the bulk of my diet is made up mostly of lower carbohydrate, whole, nutritionally dense foods. I'm in great health. I eat this way because I love to, not because I have to. Just feels natural at this point, it keeps me energized and makes my body feel so, so much better than when I've followed a more standard, typical, high carbohydrate approach.

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Edit: If anything, I'd say my athletic performance has gotten a boost since LCHF. Since I'm no longer so dependent on bloodsugar, I have recorded more peaks into red zone while HIIT. For example last saturday I stayed 9 minutes above 93% VO2max during 6 bursts. 24 mins in orange zone 83-87% within a 55 minute spinning class.

The numbers I put were wrong. It was 24 minutes in orange zone at 88-92% VO2 max.
    My gym has a real time HRM system that is projected on a big screen during class. So it's easy to see if you're in your goal zone or not. After class we get e-mails with a report of how you did from iQniter. I have deliberately put my weight a bit lower than my actual weight, in order to prevent overestimating my spinning burns.

This class was done saturday morning at 10am with 10g protein powder and 2 capsules of creatine in tummy. By chance I had carb loaded in the 2 previous days (thur 85 net carbs, fri 98 net carbs). So I pushed myself extra hard that day :p It's a new personal record for me 87% average HR, 9 mins in red and 9 peaks. Normally I'd do 2-3 red bursts.

I'm 43, my max HR is 183, resting HR is 50-53, height 160 cm and 61kg.

The reasons to post about my results are not only to brag ;) but also to show that LCHF and high performance at the gym are compatible lifestyles.

To document my results I made SS of the report:

zx36uv8rcy68.png

Time spent in different heartrate zones:
    ay3rycpzvgq4.png
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    No. You aren't mentally stable and keto is extremely restictive with a high failure rate. You could try cutting carbs but don't have entering ketosis as a goal (plus when you add carbs back in research shows you are more likely to gain weight)
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    I tried the HFLC initially to train for Tough Mudder. My macros are 70%fats, 20%protein %10carbs. I saw an appreciable difference in about 3 weeks. (I am 5'7'' and was 147, now I am 140) Then I got into IF, and really noticed a difference. My weight hasn't changed, but I look leaner than I did before I started this. I will also say that my focus is better and I have more energy than I ever did when I was burning glucose.
    There have been a ton of studies about how HFLC helps with a myriad of diseases and brain health. I can honestly say that I don't miss carbs. I make my own keto/paleo bread, and I consider dark chocolate to be a cheat. The first week was a little difficult, but after that my cravings for sugar disappeared.
    I don't spend more than 45 minutes in the gym. (I used to spend 1.5 hours 7 days a week) HIIT has worked really well, and I love that I don't have to get up so early in the morning to go. I say give it a shot, you won't know unless you try. A lot of my friends/family/coworkers thought I was crazy when I switched over to Keto/Paleo/IF from what I thought was healthy (whole grains, legumes, lean meats, ect). They see a difference now, and are starting to ask me more questions about what I eat daily. I still get strange looks when people see me eat 4 whole eggs and an avocado for lunch....but it doesn't bother me, because the results that I have seen are great. AND I don't feel deprived, or hungry.
    I would love to hear your outcome with Keto, (good or bad). Keep me posted, and good luck!!
    :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You REALLY need to discuss this with your doctor.

Some bipolar medications don't play well with ketogenic, as it may be taxing on the kidneys and some kinds of bipolar and anxiety medications would need you to limit quite a few keto diet staple foods such as cheese. Talk to your doctor about your current medications and if any food interferes with them and see. Your medications may be just fine with this diet and you may be able to do it, if you want to.

On the flip side, stabilizing blood sugar may help with mood swings in some, but not all cases. Again, discuss this with your doctor.

You can be offended if you want to, but medications are not something to toy with, nor something people on a forum can help you with.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You should read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" from Tom Venuto. His dietary recommendations are not only ideal for losing fat and retaining muscle, but they're also healthy. I once did Atkins (keto!), lost 70 lbs in about 7 months - everyone thought I looked great (with clothes on) but when I looked in the mirror I saw I lost a lot of my lean muscle mass. I don't think it's a sustainable way to eat/live and I don't think it's as healthy as some make it out to be.

I think the best way to live for most people who put on fat easily is as follows:

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

protein to come mainly from lean meats (including beef which is loaded with vitamins), fish, shellfish, non-fat Greek yogurt - eg: whole foods

carbs to come mainly from vegetables, with some fruit pre- and post-workout (bananas are a favorite). cut out wheat products, any refined sugars, candy etc.

keep the fats as much as possible to unsaturated - olive oil, avocado etc.

then - lift weights. 4x a week is ideal, with an upper/lower body split routine: eg: Monday and Thursday upper body, Tuesday and Friday lower body. Lots of compound movements, don't waste time with isolation crap (I see so many rookies, especially women, sitting on machines wasting their time.)

Use MFP to watch your calorie intake...

voila...not only will you lose fat, but you'll retain muscle (losing weight is *not* what most people want, it's bodyfat!) and you'll fire up your metabolism and get stronger at the same time while looking great too.

Really 90% of it is diet, but it's more than calories - garbage in, garbage out. Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    gkirk2000 wrote: »
    I once did Atkins (keto!), lost 70 lbs in about 7 months - everyone thought I looked great (with clothes on) but when I looked in the mirror I saw I lost a lot of my lean muscle mass.

Were you strength training adequately at the time, or more focused on getting those 70 pounds off and neglecting to maintain your lean mass?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    What are your experiences with Keto? What are your experiences with LCHF diets/lifestyles? Has it worked for you? Did you enjoy it? Was there any noticeable difference for you compared to other dietary changes/restrictions?

About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal
    • Known Medical Conditions:
    Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect
    Bipolar Disorder (with anxiety)
    Scoliosis (slight, not severe or limiting)
    • Current medications:
    Ativan used only as needed (i.e. panic attacks, serious anxiety)

I have previously followed calorie recommendations from here, used to work out 5 days a week for 1-2 hours mostly cardio, and ate a diet of half produce, mostly lean proteins, and plenty of good carbs (whole grains, raw oats, etc). Have seen no actual result on this, only slight fluctuations by a couple pounds over and under my current weight.

YES, I have a scale (BOTH)
    YES, I spoke to a trainer
    YES, I've seen a doctor about my weight issues with little result, as apparently I have to be lying about something. Haven't seen one in 1 year, though I have gone about my weight along with various issues that continue to be a problem and was shrugged off, even with switching doctors. My BP is in a good and healthy range, I have no issues with cholesterol, and I've never had an issue with high blood sugar. Sometimes its low. There is a history of both hypoglycemia (mother) and diabetes (grandmother (mom's side) and grandfather (dad's side)).

NO, I am not looking for a medical opinion, so I will ignore any posts treating me like an idiot and telling me to see a doctor. I am looking for genuine experiences, results, and advice. If you can't offer this, and aren't seeking similar answers or answering with anything about Keto, don't comment. Its unnecessary, redundant, and exhausting.
    NO, conventional/traditional methods will not work. Clearly, since despite having a very healthy lifestyle for a minimum of a decade I just continue to gain.

If you wonder why I am to the point and may come off as rude, its because while there are genuinely amazing people on here, there are also a dozen obnoxious people for each one (or so my experience has been- and I have seen it on more than my posts. For a group of people all going through relatively similar struggles, you really know how to bully people) and I am tired of listening to you all echo the same things in varying tones of condescension.

And to all of the wonderful people who made it through this post and can offer me information, thank you thank you thank you thank you! I appreciate you, and you are amazing.

<3 Thank you :)<3

I've done both low carb (when it was called Atkins and South Beach) and calorie counting. They both work equally well. When I counted my calories doing Atkins, I found I was eating less naturally, so of course that led to weight loss. But I also gained it back because I didn't want to give up carbs for the rest of my life. I think calorie counting is more sustainable, and I lose as long as I am vigilant, meaning weighing EVERYTHING, and logging everything.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You should read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" from Tom Venuto. His dietary recommendations are not only ideal for losing fat and retaining muscle, but they're also healthy. I once did Atkins (keto!), lost 70 lbs in about 7 months - everyone thought I looked great (with clothes on) but when I looked in the mirror I saw I lost a lot of my lean muscle mass. I don't think it's a sustainable way to eat/live and I don't think it's as healthy as some make it out to be.

I think the best way to live for most people who put on fat easily is as follows:

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

protein to come mainly from lean meats (including beef which is loaded with vitamins), fish, shellfish, non-fat Greek yogurt - eg: whole foods

carbs to come mainly from vegetables, with some fruit pre- and post-workout (bananas are a favorite). cut out wheat products, any refined sugars, candy etc.

then - lift weights. 4x a week is ideal, with an upper/lower body split routine: eg: Monday and Thursday upper body, Tuesday and Friday lower body. Lots of compound movements, don't waste time with isolation crap (I see so many rookies, especially women, sitting on machines wasting their time.)

voila...not only will you lose fat, but you'll retain muscle (losing weight is *not* what most people want, it's bodyfat!) and you'll fire up your metabolism and get stronger at the same time while looking great too.

Really 90% of it is diet, but it's more than calories - garbage in, garbage out. Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.

Keto is garbage in garbage out? Please do your research before telling someone they will lose muscle mass on keto. There hasn't been a study I've read where a person on keto did anything less than retain their muscle mass. If you are in nutritional ketosis and have fat to burn..the fat is what gets burned. If you lost muscle..you did it wrong.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    What are your experiences with Keto? What are your experiences with LCHF diets/lifestyles? Has it worked for you? Did you enjoy it? Was there any noticeable difference for you compared to other dietary changes/restrictions?

About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal
    • Known Medical Conditions:
    Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect
    Bipolar Disorder (with anxiety)
    Scoliosis (slight, not severe or limiting)
    • Current medications:
    Ativan used only as needed (i.e. panic attacks, serious anxiety)

I have previously followed calorie recommendations from here, used to work out 5 days a week for 1-2 hours mostly cardio, and ate a diet of half produce, mostly lean proteins, and plenty of good carbs (whole grains, raw oats, etc). Have seen no actual result on this, only slight fluctuations by a couple pounds over and under my current weight.

YES, I have a scale (BOTH)
    YES, I spoke to a trainer
    YES, I've seen a doctor about my weight issues with little result, as apparently I have to be lying about something. Haven't seen one in 1 year, though I have gone about my weight along with various issues that continue to be a problem and was shrugged off, even with switching doctors. My BP is in a good and healthy range, I have no issues with cholesterol, and I've never had an issue with high blood sugar. Sometimes its low. There is a history of both hypoglycemia (mother) and diabetes (grandmother (mom's side) and grandfather (dad's side)).

NO, I am not looking for a medical opinion, so I will ignore any posts treating me like an idiot and telling me to see a doctor. I am looking for genuine experiences, results, and advice. If you can't offer this, and aren't seeking similar answers or answering with anything about Keto, don't comment. Its unnecessary, redundant, and exhausting.
    NO, conventional/traditional methods will not work. Clearly, since despite having a very healthy lifestyle for a minimum of a decade I just continue to gain.

If you wonder why I am to the point and may come off as rude, its because while there are genuinely amazing people on here, there are also a dozen obnoxious people for each one (or so my experience has been- and I have seen it on more than my posts. For a group of people all going through relatively similar struggles, you really know how to bully people) and I am tired of listening to you all echo the same things in varying tones of condescension.

And to all of the wonderful people who made it through this post and can offer me information, thank you thank you thank you thank you! I appreciate you, and you are amazing.

<3 Thank you :)<3

I've done both low carb (when it was called Atkins and South Beach) and calorie counting. They both work equally well. When I counted my calories doing Atkins, I found I was eating less naturally, so of course that led to weight loss. But I also gained it back because I didn't want to give up carbs for the rest of my life. I think calorie counting is more sustainable, and I lose as long as I am vigilant, meaning weighing EVERYTHING, and logging everything.

That's the trick to any of this. Any diet needs to be a lifestyle change..it has to be sustainable for you long term.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

good luck.

Keto is garbage in garbage out? Please do your research before telling someone they will lose muscle mass on keto. There hasn't been a study I've read where a person on keto did anything less than retain their muscle mass. If you are in nutritional ketosis and have fat to burn..the fat is what gets burned. If you lost muscle..you did it wrong.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right there, I wonder if he lost weight so fast there was extra skin or something. Anyway, I was VERY concerned about losing my hard-earned muscle, so I did a little research when I started my diet. Everything I have read points to a ketogenic diet being "protective" of muscle mass. In case OP or anyone else is interested in reading, here's a couple studies:

Resistance training in overweight women on a ketogenic diet conserved lean body mass while reducing body fat
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/7/1/17

Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

good luck.

That's a complete load! Besides we eat avocados, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, celery, salad, nuts, heavy cream, and etc. I'd hardly call the protein and fat we consume in addition to them as garbage. Those macros you farted out are made up of foods both keto AND IIFYM. And also many other humans. Fats have finally been recognized to be good for you, btw.
    And losing muscle mass? Nonsense. Read the studies djcrillz posted up there.
    FUD.
    Geez, next people will be throwing around BS about ketoacidosis and exploding kidneys...SMH.